2015 YUKON NOISE IN CABIN

What is upsetting is that most/all manufactures get a vehicle 98% right and there is always something that is wrong or the Achilles heel that does the vehicle in. Paint problems, transmission issues, rattles, etc. Manufacturers come so close with all their efforts, but yet something gets overlooked and the prototypes make it to production. The customer ends up paying the price. GM may pay the price as well if a large number of people are turned off by issues like this. Not sure how much GM cares. I am looking at replacing my 20 year old Dodge Ram soon and already thinking about other manufactures. But I know they have problems also, just different problems.

When I worked as a Chrysler Technician. We were doing transmission rebuilds on a regular basis as the Chevy guys on the other side of the wall were replacing engines that cracked due to block castings that were too thin from Mexico. It's hard to win at the game of trouble free ownership. But there are certainly some vehicles that are better than others.

Most of this booming and buffeting is a result of GM striving to reach government CAFE requirements. AFM to improve MPG. ANC to counteract sound from AFM. Thinner sheet metal for less weight, again for improving fuel economy. Thinner metal may be cause of booming/buffeting.

A little more testing and engineering to work out the final bugs would make ownership more enjoyable and longer lasting.

Hi gents. Firstly, I would like to thank all of you who have spent the time to spread the news and try to fix this issue. A quick story. My 2008 Hybrid may have just essentially destroyed itself and is in the shop. I'm not sure if I want to just get a brand new one so I test drove a new 2017 Yukon Denali SUV. I got on the on-ramp and as we passed 35-40 accelerating I felt/heard a vibration. I actually said to the sales guy; "What's that noise/ vibration? Does this thing need a wheel balancing?" But at the same time it almost seemed like a noise buffet and not physical.He said that the on-ramp has bumps and so did the right lane we used on the freeway. I am a pilot and use Bose noise cancellation headsets at home QC-35 and while flying. The funny part is that I thought right after I heard the noise: ' Man, I wonder if this could be that noise cancellation not being perfectly out of phase with the noise it is trying to cancel and actually making things worse.'

I admit I can't stand rattles and wind noise. I was hoping to get a Yukon again but it doesn't seem like they have fixed this. I have test driven about 8 new midsize and full-sized suvs and for me the Lincoln MKX ( A really loaded one) was the quietest. I actually would intentionally drive over the lane separating bumps continuously to rattle the vehicles to see if there were rattles. BTW I've been a GM guy since 1987 and Have never had a Lincoln or anything to do with them so I'm not advertising. I'm just talking about noise.

So, good luck everyone and thanks for spreading the word on this.

Gents? Don't forget about us ladies on here :) I may be the only one though.

I too have been loyal to GM, this being my 4th Yukon. Sadly, it may be my last.

Wish I would have researched issues with this Yukon prior to purchasing. If I would have found this thread before delivery, you bet I would have NEVER purchased this vehicle.

• Like 1

Leslie, and others who regret buying their full size GM suv, I know this is a difficult question...What vehicle would you have purchased instead of the Yukon?

Vehicles choices are limited that offer the size and capability of the Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban/etc.

If GM doesn't fix this issue and the new expedition/navigator is appealing, GM will be losing a large share of the large suv segment that they've owned for years. I am one holding out to see what the '18 expedition will be next month.

Leslie, and others who regret buying their full size GM suv, I know this is a difficult question...What vehicle would you have purchased instead of the Yukon?

Vehicles choices are limited that offer the size and capability of the Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban/etc.

Such a hard decision. I didn't even look at any other vehicles prior to buying my Yukon. I just knew I wanted back in a Yukon and didn't do any research since I didn't have any issues with my other 3. If I had to do it all over again, I would look into the Infinity QX80 or Lincoln. I've had a Ford Flex in the past, while the interior room was great, the fit and finish was lacking. I'm the cool Mom that carts around my kids and all their friends, so I need a 6 or 7 passenger vehicle. Not many options out there without feeling like sardines.

Still waiting on the parts, but Ill post up the part numbers as soon as I get them ;)

Dealer just said they are going to replace the exhaust before attempting to add the dampers.

Which seems crazy to me because I would assume that the dampers are less expensive than all new exhaust.

Have your dampers come in. Any luck getting them installed.

I just wanted to see if the vibration I'm experiencing in my '17 Tahoe LS 4WD with the 18" wheels is the same as what other people have experienced.

The truck is fine below 60 mph. At about 60 and up to 65, there is a "moderate vibration". It dies down in the 70 mph range. It starts again at 75 mph and gets SEVERE at 80 mph. It feels like driving over a small speedbump every 20 feet at 80mph. The vibration is so bad the digital computer display on the instrument panel gets blurry. If you go "ahhhhhhh" it sounds like someone is pounding on your back or using one of those electric massagers on you, except it doesn't feel good. This is on a perfectly smooth and recently paved concrete interstate by the way.

The truck didn't do this until today when it hit about 600 miles total. The only thing I can think of that might've triggered it is that I had to put it in 4WD to get out of a muddy road, but I have since thoroughly cleaned the wheels and underbody and the vibration is still there. The vibration is difficult to localize, it affects the entire vehicle and I can't tell where it is coming from.

Edited by Narwhal

I just wanted to see if the vibration I'm experiencing in my '17 Tahoe LS 4WD with the 18" wheels is the same as what other people have experienced.

The truck is fine below 60 mph. At about 60 and up to 65, there is a "moderate vibration". It dies down in the 70 mph range. It starts again at 75 mph and gets SEVERE at 80 mph. It feels like driving over a small speedbump every 20 feet at 80mph. The vibration is so bad the digital computer display on the instrument panel gets blurry. If you go "ahhhhhhh" it sounds like someone is pounding on your back or using one of those electric massagers on you, except it doesn't feel good. This is on a perfectly smooth and recently paved concrete interstate by the way.

The truck didn't do this until today when it hit about 600 miles total. The only thing I can think of that might've triggered it is that I had to put it in 4WD to get out of a muddy road, but I have since thoroughly cleaned the wheels and underbody and the vibration is still there. The vibration is difficult to localize, it affects the entire vehicle and I can't tell where it is coming from.

go have all four wheels road forced by a reputable shop.

Hello everyone,

First time post here.

I got a brand new '16 Tahoe LTZ in November and it has vibration when driving on smooth road with speed over 60km/h, it is mostly consistent and noticeable around 85km/h. It feels similar to what Narwhal said - "small speedbump every 20 feet". I didn't notice such issue until 500+ km. To be honest I didn't even do extensive research before the purchase, since I thought GM's vehicle should be solid and reliable... Anyway.

Took it to the dealer on a Saturday and the technician said it is normal for the truck. I called it BS (maybe the guy who works on Saturdays isn't professional enough). Later I kept pushing the service adviser and sales guy, it took nearly 2 weeks for them to respond. During the 2 weeks I ordered a set of Michelin Premier LTX through a friend who works in a tire shop. I am going to install the tires this weekend. On the dealer side I finally got the appointment with the service manager 2 days ago. He did a test ride with me and admitted the issue. I dropped off the truck to the shop this morning for more inspection. They just called and said they need more time as the root cause cannot be determined, even though vibration is detected. They need more time to investigate. Now I am curious to see what they will say tomorrow....

Anyone know how likely the vibration will be corrected by just replacing the OEM bridgeSTONE with Michelin Premier LTX? I am a bit nervous to have the technicians driving my beautiful truck.. If they can't fix the issue tomorrow, I am just going to the tire shop and pay for the Michelin, then might consider making a complaint to GM.

Hello everyone,

First time post here.

I got a brand new '16 Tahoe LTZ in November and it has vibration when driving on smooth road with speed over 60km/h, it is mostly consistent and noticeable around 85km/h. It feels similar to what Narwhal said - "small speedbump every 20 feet". I didn't notice such issue until 500+ km. To be honest I didn't even do extensive research before the purchase, since I thought GM's vehicle should be solid and reliable... Anyway.

Took it to the dealer on a Saturday and the technician said it is normal for the truck. I called it BS (maybe the guy who works on Saturdays isn't professional enough). Later I kept pushing the service adviser and sales guy, it took nearly 2 weeks for them to respond. During the 2 weeks I ordered a set of Michelin Premier LTX through a friend who works in a tire shop. I am going to install the tires this weekend. On the dealer side I finally got the appointment with the service manager 2 days ago. He did a test ride with me and admitted the issue. I dropped off the truck to the shop this morning for more inspection. They just called and said they need more time as the root cause cannot be determined, even though vibration is detected. They need more time to investigate. Now I am curious to see what they will say tomorrow....

Anyone know how likely the vibration will be corrected by just replacing the OEM bridgeSTONE with Michelin Premier LTX? I am a bit nervous to have the technicians driving my beautiful truck.. If they can't fix the issue tomorrow, I am just going to the tire shop and pay for the Michelin, then might consider making a complaint to GM.

I'm switching from 22's to 20's and going to Michelins next week.

I'll let you know. They are also replacing my exhaust. And we're waiting on the exhaust dampers for the booming.

Still waiting, they should be in tomorrow hopefully. Yeah the new exhaust didnt help the booming.

Anything yet? I really hoping it resolves this and I can give my service manager a second dealership that has done it.

Edited by SierraMyst

Quick update on my vibrating Tahoe,

Truck was sitting at dealer for 2 full days. At the end their conclusion is pretty much what I expected - 2 tire were out of balance, and they simply rebalanced them.

Here is my service record.

Well, at least I know there is no issue with the drivetrain. I guess this s the worst viechle design combination on the world: K2xx+22wheel+bridgestones!

Already paid so mich money for a vibrator, I just can't waste more time on this thing. This is a brand new truck after all. Now I am at a tire shop and getting the Mechelin installed. Let's see how it goes.post-166068-0-18165500-1481997579_thumb.jpg

post-166068-0-18165500-1481997579_thumb.jpg

Edited by tonywush

Okay, so after swapping the bridgeSTONE with Michelin, the truck now performs SO SO SO MUCH BETTER. It is so much smoother on the highway now. No more massage seat and steering wheels. I'd say 90% of the vibration is gone now. I blame the remaining 10% of the vibration is just because of the combination of the body-on-frame chassis and 22 inch wheels. Anyway, I am very happy with the truck now and accept this is a vehicle that is "operating as designed".

Like someone else said, this is the best $1k you can spend on your Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade.

Hopefully some day, the lazy GM is willing to just spend little more money on their full-size SUV line, switching to Michelin as the OEM tire. Maybe? Or may not be? I am just too optimistic.