2015 YUKON NOISE IN CABIN

So, I am having similar issues with my own ride (with regard to the pressure buffeting). Tell me if this sounds familiar:

Buffeting felt in ears as much as heard

Headache inducing in some cases

Triggered by any kind of bumps in road (big or small)

Washboard surfaces are the worst

Large wheels and low profile tires (21" rims)

Tried road force balancing - no help

Tried switching to smaller rims (19") and tires - no help

Tried sound deadener - no help

Now for the kicker...I don't own an SUV. I am talking about my Tesla Model S. In all my online research, I came across this forum and this issue (you guys have the unfortunate honor of being the worst victims), as well as a few others including:

Last generarion BMW 3 series hardtop convertible

Porsche Cayman

Skoda (Octavia I believe)

Anyway, I am posting here just as an FYi. In my case, after my HOURS of diagnosis, I kept coming back to the giant hatch. I simply felt it was "moving" ever so slightly whenever hitting a bump and thus generating a pressure wave. The general assessment on the Tesla forums was you needed to adjust the four rubber hatch adjusters. I did this endlessly, but ultimately decided the rubber was too soft - particlarly for the center adjusters. I decided to unscrew them entirely, cut a couple of pieces of heater hose and put them in place. Stil rubber, but much firmer. The result was a 65-70% reduction in the buffeting. I am still working this angle, but I am definitely on the right track here.

Now I post all this simply as another point of reference for all you folks and to say that perhaps the whole roof thing really is on the right track and the owner who jammed in some shims (under the headliner bows I believe) was probably right. Sure, it shouldn't flex, but short of glueing some other big piece of reinforcing metal under the roof (which I would also consider), the options seem limited. Heck, if you aren't mechanically inclined (I am lucky in that regard) you might even consider having an auto upholstery shop pull down the headliner and have you come take a look and brainstorm some shim ideas. Yes, you should not have to do this (any more than I had to do this), but it may be the lesser of two evils here.

Anyway, as this thread helped me think up some ideas, I wanted to at least pass this on!

Edited by ironduke
  • Like 1

The Dampeners worked! No more booming over every imperfection in the road. The dealer installed 5 dampeners, part# 10199232 and ubolts part # 733-5337 The vehicle also seems to be idling a lot smoother when I'm stopped at stoplights.

Edited by Ozzii
  • Like 3

Good to hear. When I get the airbag recall done I will have this done as well. Hopefully the dealer is cooperative and covers this under warranty. Maybe there will be service bulletin or something official from GM by the time I take mine in.

So 4 things to make this the perfect vehicle.

1. exhaust dampers

2. disable AFM (may reflash ECU or use M5)

3. Install Michelin tires (I will wait to OEM Goodyears are worn out)

4. air bag computer reflash

How many u-bolts are required? If I pay out of pocket and do the work myself is their any diagram or instructions as the location of where the weights should be placed?

or what $$$ is labor to have them installed?

Looks like $300 in parts...my guess 1 hour labor?

Yep cost me $400. Sucks i had to pay it but man what a diffence now ;) 4 ubolts ;)

This is good news

I just read that you solved the buffeting by replacing tires so is that eliminate cabin pressure also ? and what the size of them ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by albader2007

Replaced the factory tires on 20 rims to Michelin Premier Ltx.

I tried balancing my goodyear tires and unplugging ANC and disable AFM nothing of this was work to eliminate my big issue PRESSURE inside the vehicle.

My last solution is to replace the tires but in my county we didn't have premier LTX just Michelin Latitude HR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow! $400! I can fabricate some weights and mount them myself to the exhaust. I just need to figure out approximate weight and placement location.

The wheels in my head are spinning and my eyes are open to start gathering material for the weights.

I can use steel, aluminum, cast iron, etc. Create two halves that bold together. No clamp needed, engineered into the design.

The Dampeners worked! No more booming over every imperfection in the road. The dealer installed 5 dampeners, part# 10199232 and ubolts part # 733-5337 The vehicle also seems to be idling a lot smoother when I'm stopped at stoplights.

Do you have some pictures?

The dampers just clamp on correct?

What's the u bolts for? Just wondering seeing why's here's 5 dampers and 4 u bolts?

Can you get pictures of where they placed the dampeners? Good news. I had GM customer care write to me on this post offering help to fix, odd I thought. Since executive told me that GM can not use this forum for diagnostic or decisions on problems. GM will definitely have to pay for the repair.

Sierra Myst, I just read off the work order they gave me. Just gave the part #s and said 5 dampeners and 4 U-bolts. Duramaxman, Ill take some pics as soon as I get home form work ;) Nice drive to work today without the booming. I actually enjoy driving my Tahoe now ;)

Edited by Ozzii