2015 YUKON NOISE IN CABIN

I found this when searching for the GM part #10199232, the dampener must be the 2 weights held on the exhaust pipe by the U-bolt. GM refers to this as: PIP5277B.

http://gm.oemdtc.com/1954/pip5277b-engine-vibration-resonanceboom-between-40-to-60-mph-2010-2017-chevrolet-equinox-gmc-terrain

Link to dampener from GMDirect. You can buy similiar U-bolts at an auto store for a few bucks.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/10199232

This is the text from the page listed above, THE LINKS DO NO WORK ON THIS PAGE GO TO THE SITE I LINKED ABOVE.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment that a resonance type vibration occurs between 40 to 60 MPH.

In most cases the engine must be under a slight load such as A/C compressor engagement, light throttle, and in 6th gear tcc applied.

It also is described as a 2nd order engine boom or vibration. In most cases this is an inherent condition on 4 cylinder models, however in some cases this condition is much more amplified.

Recommendation/Instructions

Relax engine and transmission mounts, then the exhaust system by loosening the front pipe studs.

Work down the system disconnecting one exhaust hanger at a time.

Test drive to verify any improvements.

If additional steps are required place two sets of exhaust dampeners (part #10199232 and attach with 2 1/2″ exhaust clamps, part #15595206) one set before and one set after the front catalytic converter.

It may be required to move the pair of dampeners along the exhaust system to get the best results (photos attached).

This repair will only improve noise and vibration to a condition comparable to like vehicles with the 4 cylinder powertrain.

Fabricate 2 dampers using the following procedure:

1. Obtain 4 dampeners, Part Number 10199232.
  2. Line up 2 dampeners so the dampener pipes are opposite of each other.
  3. Line up one mounting hole from each dampener with the holes of an appropriate size exhaust clamp.
  4. With all of the holes lined up, weld the flat portion of the dampeners together and to the flat part of the exhaust clamp
  5. Attach the dampeners to the exhaust system using exhaust clamps.
Edited by Willyspu

Can you get pictures of where they placed the dampeners? Good news. I had GM customer care write to me on this post offering help to fix, odd I thought. Since executive told me that GM can not use this forum for diagnostic or decisions on problems. GM will definitely have to pay for the repair.

I posted pictures back in August. You can find them here.

I'm happy to see this solution work for others!

• Like 1

I wonder if GM will include these exhaust weights on new production? or have an exhaust system redesign?

My dealer says the exhaust system has been redesigned, but the 2017 I drove till boomed.

So I don't know if they added it the 2017 production. They have a new exhaust at the shop for my 6.2L waiting for me to come back from vacation.

I'm also going to bring this up the dealer. Since they said they are aware of the dampers, but that GM wasn't shipping them out to dealers.

But obviously, they still are.

Don't know why this is such an issue? They have the fix. .Just fix the damn things.

Good news. Just got off the phone with Gm. They are refunding me the money I paid for the Dampeners. They are also sending the fix performed my vehicle to engineers so they can get a bulletin made for the fix ;) and just a note, I had the new updated exhaust put on a little over a month ago. The new exhaust improved the issue with the drone while the vehicle was in v4, but it had no effect on the booming noises at low speed's going over slight imperfections in the road. The new dampeners that were installed solved the booming noise issues.

Edited by Ozzii
  • Like 2

Good news. Just got off the phone with Gm. They are refunding me the money I paid for the Dampeners. They are also sending the fix performed my vehicle to engineers so they can get a bulletin made for the fix ;) and just a note, I had the new updated exhaust put on a little over a month ago. The new exhaust improved the issue with the drone while the vehicle was in v4, but it had no effect on the booming noises at low speed's going over slight imperfections in the road. The new dampeners that were installed solved the booming noise issues.

Do you by any chance have the part # or service bulletin for the exhaust they put on your yukon? They did this "modified exhaust(23385911) and new muffler(03701-ct) per new bulletin PIT 5404B" to mine. Fixed it for several weeks but buffeting came back :(

Wondering if there is a 3rd exhaust now?

yep, low RF wheel balance is what will more than likely cure buffeting issue. We went with michelin premier ltx and made sure tire shop had low road force numbers and it fixed 90% of the buffeting. We shouldn't have to have 100% perfectly balanced tires to keep from having the issue but it is the way it is right now with these trucks.

We've always had the low speed booming and it never bothered my much but just recently it seems to be more noticeable and bothersome to me as well as passengers.

Leslie wasson Green - I see you have an SLT and had the new dampners and exhaust so does this fix apply to the 5.3L engine (models other than the Denali?)

Edited by ajs800

Sierra Myst, I just read off the work order they gave me. Just gave the part #s and said 5 dampeners and 4 U-bolts. Duramaxman, Ill take some pics as soon as I get home form work ;) Nice drive to work today without the booming. I actually enjoy driving my Tahoe now ;)

@Ozzii, I'm hoping that if you may able to get under your Yukon for pics, you could explain the 5 dampers and 4 u-bolts.

I just had the discussion with my service department and since GM is keeping dealership service departments out of the loop as much as they are us, he had some questions.

Are the u-bolts used to attach the dampers? If so, wouldn't you need 5 dampers and 5 u-bolts?

I wonder why @FogDucker has 6 dampers and your got 5?

Hopefully you two have a better idea, since you're the only ones that have had this done.

Hopefully, I'll be the third. Just waiting for my 20" Denali rims to come in so I can downgrade the 22s, change out the tires to Michelin, and get the dampers done.

All your help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by SierraMyst

@Ozzii, I'm hoping that if you may able to get under your Yukon for pics, you could explain the 5 dampers and 4 u-bolts.

I just had the discussion with my service department and since GM is keeping dealership service departments out of the loop as much as they are us, he had some questions.

Are the u-bolts used to attach the dampers? If so, wouldn't you need 5 dampers and 5 u-bolts?

I wonder why @FogDucker has 6 dampers and your got 5?

Hopefully you two have a better idea, since you're the only ones that have had this done.

Hopefully, I'll be the third. Just waiting for my 20" Denali rims to come in so I can downgrade the 22s, change out the tires to Michelin, and get the dampers done.

All your help is greatly appreciated.

If you look at the second picture that I linked to above (of my dampers), it looks like they put 2 dampers on one u-bolt. This was the only such one that I could see. The rest are 1:1.

If you look at the second picture that I linked to above (of my dampers), it looks like they put 2 dampers on one u-bolt. This was the only such one that I could see. The rest are 1:1.

Thanks!

And you had 6 total dampers or 5?

just so I am clear, this is to correct the low speed booming regardless of rpm/speed? Our XL SLT has horrible booming when on gravel/uneven roads at low speeds... noticed it more than ever this past week when traveling on snow packed roads. The buffeting was always the worse thing with this truck but the booming has been bad and was annoying to all passengers this last trip.

just so I am clear, this is to correct the low speed booming regardless of rpm/speed? Our XL SLT has horrible booming when on gravel/uneven roads at low speeds... noticed it more than ever this past week when traveling on snow packed roads. The buffeting was always the worse thing with this truck but the booming has been bad and was annoying to all passengers this last trip.

Correct. For me...

Booming (yes, over snow, gravel and other bumps) was fixed with exhaust dampers.

Buffeting was fixed by getting tires RF balanced to 12lbs or better.

Vibrating was fixed by replacing the rear axle.

I've put ~20,000 enjoyable kilometers on since all 3 were fixed. The buffeting started to creep back in fall and disappeared when I put my winter shoes on. I'm going to have the stock Continentals RF balanced (again) in the spring before I put them back on. If they're out of line, I'll get a set of Michelins or might just leave the Ko2's on all year as they've been great even though they're 15lbs heavier per tire than the Continentals.