2015 YUKON NOISE IN CABIN

Hey SierraMyst,

Did you dealer/GM pay for the dampers and their installation or was that out of your pocket? They seem pricey at $56/each plus brackets - installation I can handle. My 2016 Denali only has booming and I want it fixed but don't want to get stonewalled at the dealer. The service write will say they have no knowledge of the fix or part numbers and I do not have the energy or time to fight with them. I need to go in armed. Any thoughts and experience are appreciated. I've read through previous posts but didn't see how you initiated the fix.

Thanks in advance.

My Yukon had 62 days of service and was a day from lemon law filing.

GM covered the everything under warranty as they should have.

You should not be paying for these out of pocket. Call Customer Service and open a case.

<p>I've tried reading through, but there's a lot to read through.  I've driven different trim levels of the vehicle and the result is the same for me with the ear pressure and causing headaches.  I see so many of these vehicles on the road and I wonder if certain people don't get impacted by the issue as others do? There's not a sound, per say, that I can point to as the root cause in my vehicle to demonstrate to the dealer. There's just a pressure and pain that follow after being in the truck a little while. My kids feel it, but my wife hasn't yet in the little time she's spent in the truck. The dealership seem like good guys and seem willing to help me out of the truck, but I'm convinced they think I'm just crazy. Not sure what i can even get into because there's not much else I like.  We'll see what happens.</p>

<p>I've tried reading through, but there's a lot to read through.  I've driven different trim levels of the vehicle and the result is the same for me with the ear pressure and causing headaches.  I see so many of these vehicles on the road and I wonder if certain people don't get impacted by the issue as others do? There's not a sound, per say, that I can point to as the root cause in my vehicle to demonstrate to the dealer. There's just a pressure and pain that follow after being in the truck a little while. My kids feel it, but my wife hasn't yet in the little time she's spent in the truck. The dealership seem like good guys and seem willing to help me out of the truck, but I'm convinced they think I'm just crazy. Not sure what i can even get into because there's not much else I like.  We'll see what happens.</p>

Replace the tires with Michelin Premier or Touring HP.

They will balance below 10 lbs of road force.

This will eliminate the buffeting and pressure.

The booming is a separate issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at 2017 Escalades today. I have a 2015 Denali with 23k miles. (I commented several months back on my search for a new Denali without the noise and pressure - and found one). After driving the 2017 Escalade, I was so disappointed to find GM hasn't fixed the booming/pressure issues. I drove a 2016 and it was awful. The 2017 was better, but not much. To make matters worse, the dealership acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. This is the only Cadillac dealer in a city of 2 million people. There's no way I'm the first person to mention the noise. I guess there won't be an Escalade in my future. So disappointed.

I looked at 2017 Escalades today. I have a 2015 Denali with 23k miles. (I commented several months back on my search for a new Denali without the noise and pressure - and found one). After driving the 2017 Escalade, I was so disappointed to find GM hasn't fixed the booming/pressure issues. I drove a 2016 and it was awful. The 2017 was better, but not much. To make matters worse, the dealership acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. This is the only Cadillac dealer in a city of 2 million people. There's no way I'm the first person to mention the noise. I guess there won't be an Escalade in my future. So disappointed.

Ya, that's so funny when the sales staff says they never heard of it. Means they are flat out liars/in denial or so completely disconnected from the products they sell that they are what I always say they are....USELESS! I mean face it, when is the last time you went to look at a new vehicle and didn't know more that than the salesperson?

I've had fun with it a couple of times, though. Been at a dealership with my Denali and a salesman would walk up and say how nice it is and "how do I like it". It's fun to watch them squirm as I launch into a 45 min explanation of all the issues and pull my smart phone out to show the websites with all these discussions! Try it...it's a total giggle. They can't wait to get away from you, all the while praying no other customer gets within earshot. LOL.

• Like 1

They were pushing all the "great technology" in the 2017 Escalade before I test drove it. That's nice. Now make them driveable. I'm in mourning, it's a beautiful SUV. I shouldn't tempt fate - keeping my '15 Denali is probably best. The 20's worked on my noise/buffeting issue.

They were pushing all the "great technology" in the 2017 Escalade before I test drove it. That's nice. Now make them driveable. I'm in mourning, it's a beautiful SUV. I shouldn't tempt fate - keeping my '15 Denali is probably best. The 20's worked on my noise/buffeting issue.

Esc is no different than the suburban and denali - go test drive a lot of them, you'll find a few good ones.

Edited by boazEarl8

We had a 2016 Yukon had exhaust changed, roof rails fixed but that made it worse. We bought a 2017 Tahoe Premier and now we have the booming in the cab also have vibration through out the Tahoe. Complained to dealer about a surging/skipping problem when trying to go up hill dealer was close to telling us it was normal according to GM specs but then dealer checked and found GM put out a bulletin stating they are aware of the problem but do not have a fix as of 1/09/2017. The dealer will not try to fix the booming or vibration till GM gives them a repair for the skipping/hesitation/surging. The dealer said that this problem might be linked to my other issues. After many calls/emails to GM executive customer care they are supposedly going to send a field engineer out to look at my booming problem when they TRY to fix the skipping/etc problem.

UPDATE:

We have been waiting since 1/9/17 for the skipping/hesitation fix to tell if it's tied to the other two problems (booming and vibration). We brought our vehicle to,the dealer 3/20/17 and the field engineer was supposed to be there to repair all of our concerns. GM did not send a field engineer and the dealer only performed the computer reprogramming. Guess what? We still have the skipping and hesitation. My wife and I have had enough of this vehicle and GM. We looked at the 2018's online and to no surprise there is no change, except adding more gears to the transmission. GM has been stringing us along telling us they will help us since November 2016. I think that this is unacceptable customer service. It's time that GM listens to its customers and not the bean counters. We as customers make GM what it is today. SAD!!

We have always had Tahoes and Yukons. What other manufacturers would you recommend? We don't need a third row. We have looked at several vehicles. My wife likes the BMW X5.

UPDATE:

We have been waiting since 1/9/17 for the skipping/hesitation fix to tell if it's tied to the other two problems (booming and vibration). We brought our vehicle to,the dealer 3/20/17 and the field engineer was supposed to be there to repair all of our concerns. GM did not send a field engineer and the dealer only performed the computer reprogramming. Guess what? We still have the skipping and hesitation. My wife and I have had enough of this vehicle and GM. We looked at the 2018's online and to no surprise there is no change, except adding more gears to the transmission. GM has been stringing us along telling us they will help us since November 2016. I think that this is unacceptable customer service. It's time that GM listens to its customers and not the bean counters. We as customers make GM what it is today. SAD!!

We have always had Tahoes and Yukons. What other manufacturers would you recommend? We don't need a third row. We have looked at several vehicles. My wife likes the BMW X5.

We're vehicle shopping now..we need a third row. It's a shame that these vehicles are but like crap.

We're looking at Infiniti QX80, the Volvo XC90, the Lexus GX and LX, the Nissan Armada, but what we're really holding out for is the new Range Rover Discovery to be reals ed in May/June. Saw it at car show and it was stunning. Starting price of $48k.

As I've said ..GM replaced the 22s with 20s. Replaced the tired to Michelins. My dealer handled it all since Consumer Affairs kept telling no, no, no, no. 62 days in service...they want a lemon law case.

Anyways. The tires and rims fixed the vibration and buffeting.

They replaced the exhaust and added the dampers, but the booming is not really fixed. It not as loud...but it is more constant.

The foreman at the dealership said that the 2017 does indeed, without a doubt have a new exhaust for the 6.2L.

Problem is when he tried to order for a 2016, GM ships him the old exhaust. He says this will continues until they clear the warehouse of the old exhaust. We're currently working on acquiring the new exhaust.

In the mean time...There's a new metal buzzing coming from under the passenger side. It sounds like it's coming from the A/C, but non of the A/C components are making the noise. But if you shut off the A/C it stops. So it seems that the A/C compressor is making something different vibrate.

We have 4 kids, and as much as we want a 3 row SUV with the Yukon XL storage space, we're moments away from a lemon law and going back to a minivan.

We purchased a 2017 LT 20's/Continentals. I am very sensitive with ear issues, and after 1000 miles here is my take:

Booming is there. Really only from driveway to street, but minimal. Zero vibrations of any sort. Buffeting occurs only under certain road conditions. Just drove from socal to Vegas and sometimes the buffeting was there other times it was not, smooth or rough road didn't matter. Pleasure to drive, GREAT mpg on our trip, 26 mpg with 600+ miles on a tank. Wife and kids have no complaints. Wife says she barely notices anything I mention. Once I get some miles on these tires, which I heard don't last very long I will switch to some RFB Michellens. I also just bought the BORLA GM exhaust, which I have not installed yet, so don't know if that will make any difference, good or bad.

• Like 1

Quick update on my 16 Denali. Opened a case with GM and took it to the dealer today for low speed booming. No buffeting issues and only occasional vibrations at 70+mph. The dealer said they'd never heard of the low speed booming. They've dealt with plenty of buffeting and vibrations but no low speed booming - it was news to them. We went for a ride and I was told they all do that to some degree. Because GM hasn't put out a bulletin or fix for that issue, there is nothing they can do other than road force balance the tires. I told him about the dampeners and a bulletin on the booming but apparently that bulletin doesn't apply to the 6.2 so he won't mess with the dampeners. So...I'm getting my made-of-stone Continental tires road force balanced which will not solve my issue. I kind of expected this outcome but still disappointed.

The interesting thing is I asked to drive another Denali for comparison. Mine has 20's, this one was a 2017 w/22's. You would think the booming would be worse but alas, it was almost non-existent. Either GM fixed the booming in the 2017 or I have one that booms. Ugh.

Looks like I will be trading this in on a non-GM vehicle of some sort soon.

Is your booming constant and unbearable? I only hear it off the driveway and if I ride the bott dots on the freeway. But in no was a deal breaker

Assume this is for me. It is constant at low (<20mph) speeds, especially pronounced over gravel/rough roads. Unbearable - Physically, no. Because I know there is a fix that the dealer and/or GM won't do makes it annoying and pretty unbearable.

I see Infiniti will announce a new QX80 on April 11th. I will be taking a hard look at that. Nissan generally and as of late does test their vehicles before production, apparently unlike GM.

Assume this is for me. It is constant at low (<20mph) speeds, especially pronounced over gravel/rough roads. Unbearable - Physically, no. Because I know there is a fix that the dealer and/or GM won't do makes it annoying and pretty unbearable.

I see Infiniti will announce a new QX80 on April 11th. I will be taking a hard look at that. Nissan generally and as of late does test their vehicles before production, apparently unlike GM.

I have this problem too, mostly at lower speeds like you cltsig, but I have a question. Did anyone on this thread not test drive the vehicle before they bought it? I did and didn't notice it. I feel like it was a few weeks or even a month before I noticed it. Everyone who borrows and drives my Yukon says its the nicest ride, smoothest ride, most refined ride they have ever experienced. I'm always shocked because deep down I'm embarrassed when I hand over the keys. I feel like I should apologize in advance for the ride... but I don't... almost like an experiment to see if they notice it. No one ever complains, but they only drive it for a few hours.

It's my wife's daily driver and it took her 6 months to say "is it just me or has the ride gotten harsh? I feel like ear pressure or something" That's when I decided to google it and found this thread.

I'm curious......Did everyone else not notice it for a while too? I really feel I wouldn't have bought this vehicle if I had noticed the ride issues.

Thanks

I have this problem too, mostly at lower speeds like you cltsig, but I have a question. Did anyone on this thread not test drive the vehicle before they bought it? I did and didn't notice it. I feel like it was a few weeks or even a month before I noticed it. Everyone who borrows and drives my Yukon says its the nicest ride, smoothest ride, most refined ride they have ever experienced. I'm always shocked because deep down I'm embarrassed when I hand over the keys. I feel like I should apologize in advance for the ride... but I don't... almost like an experiment to see if they notice it. No one ever complains, but they only drive it for a few hours.

It's my wife's daily driver and it took her 6 months to say "is it just me or has the ride gotten harsh? I feel like ear pressure or something" That's when I decided to google it and found this thread.

I'm curious......Did everyone else not notice it for a while too? I really feel I wouldn't have bought this vehicle if I had noticed the ride issues.

Thanks

I test drove mine and I think I would have noticed the booming. However, I was more focused on buffeting because I drove a few that did that. My gut tells me it was a lot less when I bought it but has since worsened. The suspension is so gd stiff it is beyond annoying.

Edited by cltsig