2015 YUKON NOISE IN CABIN

Hi All. Been a while since I checked in. Did anyone ever get any relief from the booming/pressure/buffeting by installing the Borla exhaust? Back in the day, probably 2 years ago now when this thread was on fire, adding/replacing exhaust was being experimented with before focusing on the tires. Just curious...

I didn't get the Borla, but my 'booming' over bumps was eliminated by clamping weights/dampers on the exhaust. I included pictures further back in this thread if anyone is interested in quantity and placement.

The buffeting was a result of tires. It took 6 Continental replacements to get them quiet [under 10lbs] and I had them re-road force balanced when I putting them back on for the summer. The Continentals have a tendency to flat spot which temporarily re-introduces buffeting. I'm going to put up with them a little while longer and replace them with some Michelins for summer duty. My BFG KO2s are awesome and don't introduce any buffeting. That's probably why I left them on until August! If it wasn't for the fuel economy penalty [they are 14lbs heavier per tire!], I'd leave them on year round.

The vibrating was fixed by replace the rear end.

I've been enjoying my Yukon ever since and only experienced a failed wheel bearing since. While the root cause of the issue may never be fixed or identified on these models, I'm OK knowing that I can control the inputs [shitty or out of balance tires].

• Like 1

Hi All. Been a while since I checked in. Did anyone ever get any relief from the booming/pressure/buffeting by installing the Borla exhaust? Back in the day, probably 2 years ago now when this thread was on fire, adding/replacing exhaust was being experimented with before focusing on the tires. Just curious...

My biggest improvement came from 20" wheels on KO2s religiously RFB down to 15lbs or less ... but, I did install the Borla touring and noticed slighter improvement still

• 1 month later...

2015 Yukon Denali 4wd production June 2014 75k miles.I have been reading this topic from the first day and I can see there are multiple fixes that didn't solve the issue but improves.so I decided to do what I think it improves the ride quality to this $70+ suv. First I replaced all of shocks no more mag and no more air at the back,I went with bilstien 4600 series and I think I need the 5100 series for offroad use,the dealer install resistors to stay away from dash messages,second I went with 17" methods wheels and Yokohama,third I had a custom catback done by local shop,forth I tuned the car by Justin at blackbear tuning he disable the v4/v8 mode it's v8 all the way.with all if those modifications the car is much much better than before,today I took the car to dealer for oil change and spoke with chif engineer and he told there is a new updated steering bushing that will eliminate the vibration that occurs at 70 miles speed.he also told that new Yukon came with steel control arms the first productions were aluminium,also GM updated the engine mounts with hydraulic type.i asked him to replace the steering bushing with the updated one and see.overall the changes I done was mandatory as I use this car on off-road and I can say I really improve the ride.

20171015_174648.jpg

So I'm selling the dampers from my Yukon the dealer put on to lessen the booming sound.

I took them off once they agreed to replace the exhaust for the newer model.

GM part number 10199232, retail for $60 to $85 a piece.

There's 5 (2 together for the mount at the cat). The brackets are for the 6.2L so it's 3.5" exhaust. But the mounting brackets are replaceable.

Looking for $25 each, so $125 for the set. Shipping is $30. They are heavy, meant to weight down the exhaust to keep the reverberation from exhaust from entering the cab.

Message me if interested.

1104171855a-1.jpg

1104171855-1.jpg

1104171854-1.jpg

20170201_133509.jpeg

20170201_133635.jpg

20170201_133518.jpg

20170201_133638.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Alright guy I need your help.  My wife and I are looking to get a Yukon or Tahoe but are concerned with this buffeting/booming noise.  I have read through many of the pages and while there are many solutions that may help lessen the noise it seems like there is no full know cause of fix for this issue.   Here is my dilemma,  we found a Yukon that is a outstanding deal that we don't want to pass up but upon test driving it, the vehicle has this issue.    I assume that's why the previous owner traded it in with so few miles on it,  under 10k.  Is this an issue with all of the yukons/tahoes or is it like the sierra/Silverado shake that some have and some don't?  Also are there other variables that we know of that lessen the issue such as roof rack cross members,  sun roof vs no sunroof.    Any updates on those that have had a full resolution or know if this is an issue with most/all would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance. 

8 hours ago, mjdxtreme said:

Here is my dilemma,  we found a Yukon that is a outstanding deal that we don't want to pass up but upon test driving it, the vehicle has this issue.   

All don't have it, mine doesn't.  But the one you are looking at does so this "should" be a no-brainer for you.  Recommend you pass-up this truck. 

yea I have passed on that particular vehicle.  Just not sure if I should continue looking at them or potentially move to another brand or just hang on to what my wife currently drives until a redesign occurs. 

8 hours ago, mjdxtreme said:

Also are there other variables that we know of that lessen the issue such as roof rack cross members,  sun roof vs no sunroof.   

BTW, I have been following this thread since page 1, don't waste your time trying to figure this out.  Forget the tricks tried by GM or dealers.  If you find one with issues, it will not change.  On the other hand, if you find one without issues, it may not change.  

Thanks for the info. I'll get out there and look at some others to test-drive. Knew the deal seemed too go to be true. It was a 2016 Yukon slt with less than 8000 for under 47k.  Unfortunately the others I have seen with 12k to 20k miles similarly equipt have been 50k+ so my something must be wrong alarm went off but figured I would check it out.   

Edited by mjdxtreme

I believe they all have booming, 2015-2017, to some people it is less noticeable. (Also, I would think that the longer body would have more booming due to more thinner metal on longer roof and cabin)

Buffeting issue is mostly due to tires, good quality force balanced tires should eliminate the buffeting.  

I believe softer/quieter tires can help reduce  booming slightly. So if you test drive them pay attention to what tire brand is on the car.

Some owners reported that dampers helped booming and some said it didn’t...

And looks like 2017 or 2018 have different exhausts compared to 2015-2016 from reading the posts... But not sure if only 6.2L or 5.3L and if both short and long body got new exhaust on 2017/2018? Anyone know for sure?

I have a 2016 Yukon XL SLT 5.3L without magnetic ride suspension and without Bose noise cancellation. I have stock Goodyear fuel max tires.

I have the booming noise at low speeds and slight buffeting at hwy speeds.

I want to upgrade to Michelin LTX but not sure if it will make the ride much better or just a little... and the new set will cost around $900 and I am not sure if I want to put more money in it as I am debating to maybe trade out of it into Lincoln Navigator L.

Anyone know if there are open tickets/procedures to get new exhaust for 2016 long version/XL 5.3L that I can point out and ask dealer for it?

My wife and kids are not complaining but I am not enjoying the ride due to the low speed booming.

The handling is very good, and it is very quiet from wind/outside road noise at hwy speeds, and the design and options are also very nice on these trucks.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, yukon-xl said:

I want to upgrade to Michelin LTX but not sure if it will make the ride much better or just a little... and the new set will cost around $900 and I am not sure if I want to put more money in it as I am debating to maybe trade out of it into Lincoln Navigator L.

I would have your existing tires Road Force Balanced to see what they're at.  Not all shops have a proper RFB machine as they cost over 5 digits.  The most popular brand is "Hunter".

If you do order new tires, make it conditional that they RFB at 15lbs or better, GMs recommendation for the K2XX truck plaform.  My BFG K02s balanced no worse than 8lbs.  The best they could get out of the Continentals was 12lbs.

Budget for RFB every year or two.  This is the only known buffeting input that we can control.  Sometimes turning the tires on the rim can get the numbers down.  Other times you'll need to replace them.

I've got 40,000 miles on my Yukon and my family of 5 enjoy it.  Every now and then I'll get a brief whiff of buffeting if the tires flat spot, but it goes away.

Buffeting = Out of Round Tires; peaks at 40mph and 70mph

Booming = exhaust bouncing around when driving slowly over bumps