2015 YUKON NOISE IN CABIN

Well the dealership called yesterday and said that the Tahoe was done. We went and drove it today and it still has the problem. Service manager rode with us. We barely left the lot and told him it was still doing it. He is supposed to have a meeting with the higher ups tomorrow about what they are going to do. He feels that from a service side they have done everything they can. Hoping and praying for a buy back.

Update on mine:

The dealership is taking our Yukon back. Apparently White Diamond and Jet Black interior just DOESN'T exist. We apparently have one of very few ever made.

The dealership is only allowing us to do an exchange as they've already paid off our 2011 Yukon we traded in. We've spent 2 days searching and hunting for a Yukon my wife would almost "settled" with as her color combo is no where to be found...

We finally settled on a deal for a Iridium Denali that's in transit and will be here in about 2 weeks. I pray this one is ok (literally)! I'm going on the hope that "not all of them are defective"! Haha!

Update; do not have the "tunnel effect sound" here, glad not running with this issue.
I reported before a knock sound at rear end most likely under the cabbing when on uneven roads, bumps…like exhaust tube or else knocking something in the rear. I adjusted the spare tire and the tools in the back but not change.
So far all other components are holding strong, we love the truck but for the money should be more solid and better quality.

Hi Guys

Just called the dealer and my Yukon is built delivery expected late this month early November. They confirmed it will have the 8 speed trans.

Has anyone had a Yukon delivered with the 8 speed trans and if so any comments?

Snuke1e

So, as I mentioned before, they bought mine back. The sheet metal was never really noted. The main reason for the noise/pressue, and I agreed, was when it went from V4 mode to V8 mode. In V4 mode, it was amplified. The pressure we felt was most notable when the engine went into V4 mode. I challenge anyone having the same issue, to monitor the transition from V8 to V4. I bet you will agree that it is much worse when at low speeds (30-45MPH) and in V4 mode. Watch the screen and wait for the pressure. And, since they have taken my Yukon back, the headaches are GONE.

Edited by FOURKNUCKLES

Sorry about your misfortune FOURKNUCKLES. I'm from the Dayton area as well and plan on ordering a 15 Denali. This is obviously a major issue that leaves people scratching their heads. I'm curious as to whether or not anyone has tried shifting into a higher or lower gear to change the RPM's to see if it has any an effect on the noise. Being that it is more noticeable when in 4 cylinder mode caught my attention. Do these trucks have an active exhaust valve to regulate back pressure for the transition between 4/8 cylinder mode? Drone sends a frequency through your body which can make people nauseous.

GM repait for the problem

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Some owners may comment of a wind buffeting/droan noise or body/pressure booming (the feeling of pressure in the ears) while driving. The body booming issue may be more noticeable when the engine is in V4 mode. In some cases, they may also notice a water leak from the headliner area, if equipped with a sunroof. These concerns could be caused by the roof sheet metal no longer being attached to the roof bows (1). On trucks with a sunroof, it may be noticed that the rear edge of the sunroof glass is considerably lower than the roof (2). This is due to the roof sheet metal being detached from the roof bow directly behind the sunroof opening (3).

3973291.giftif.gif

3973293.giftif.gif

3973294.giftif.gif Recommendation/Instructions

To correct this concern, apply panel vibration control material between the roof bow and roof sheet metal, along with foam shim material when necessary.

Remove the headliner to access the underside of the roof. Inspect all 4 roof bows for insufficient bonding to the roof sheet metal (4). Any roof bow that is not bonded to the sheet metal will need to be repaired.

3973295.giftif.gif

Use the following repair for all 4 bows on trucks without a sunroof, and for the 3 rear bows on trucks with a sunroof:

Use a plastic scraper or similar tool to remove the old foam. Measure the gap between the top of the roof bow and bottom of the roof sheet metal. If the gap is 5/16 (8mm) or greater, use a combination of 3/4" wide by 5/16" or 7/16" thick foam shim material (as listed below) to fill the gap between the roof bow and the sheet metal. Care should be taken to add only the correct thickness of foam to fill the gap so it does not push up on the roof. Cut the foam into 5 inch lengths and place in three spots along the roof bow, one piece in the middle and one at each outer edge. With the foam shim material in place, or if the gap is less than 5/16" (8mm), use the panel control vibration material (as listed below) to fill the voids between the roof bow and sheet metal. In some cases, it may take a couple layers of material to fill the void.

Repair for 1st bow on trucks with a sunroof:

Use a plastic scraper or similar tool remove the old foam. Use the panel control vibration material (listed below) and apply along the top of the 1st roof bow. Obtain two 2x4 pieces of wood cut long enough to span the opening of the sunroof. Wrap one of the 2x4's with a cloth to protect the roof paint and place it on top and the other one on the bottom. Then clamp together using three C-clamp as shown below (5 & 6). The clamps will need to stay in place until the panel control vibration material is dry.

3973296.giftif.gif

3973297.giftif.gif Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

Material Allowance

SEM 39977

*Panel Control Vibration Material

2 Tubes

$80.00

P46500

**Kent Industries 3/4 X 5/16 in. Adhesive Back Foam Shim Stock

As Required

$20.00

P46505

**Kent Industries 3/4 X 7/16 in. Adhesive Back Foam Shim Stock

As Required

$20.00

* For panel control vibration material ordering information, call SEM at 1-866-327-7829. SEM products are also available at local automotive paint supply stores.

** Contact Kent Automotive at 1-888-937-5368 or www.kent-automotive.com to order Kent Industries Adhesive Back Foam Shim Stock.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

1480348*

Install Foam Shim Material To Roof Bows And Refoam

2.5 hr

Add

For Vehicles With Sunroofs

0.5 hr

* This is an unique labor operation for bulletin use only. This will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourse

snuke1e - very good research digging this up. Your visual post literally shows the top of the vehicle being detached. For a 5, 6 yr old vehicle this may be ok. But for a brand new vehicle, the sight of this may happen to your truck turns your stomach, especially trying to swallow 70K. Still don't believe GM is being straight-up. When 4Knucks turned in his truck, GM didn't mention a sheet metal issue.

4Knucks - please post what service invoice or verbiage GM advised you as to why they were taking back your vehicle, thx.

Hi Guys and (GM customer care I would appreciate a response)

I had the opportunity to ask an engineer from one of the big three about this issue. Service bulletin PIT 5318

His review of the information was quite intrusting. He thought this was more than a minor problem.

NUMBER 1 ISSUE WHAT IS THE ROOT CAUSE?????

What this means is there is a problem GM offers a counter measure (temporary fix) till they can determine the ROOT cause.

Root cause could it be a tolerance issue, build up issue, material break down issue, bonding issue. Time frame issue to determine a heating and cooling cycle that may cause material failure?

As you can see this might take some time to identify mean while cars are still produced at our expense.

Other very important piece of missing information he said was (VIN break) the series of VIN numbers of the vehicles affected by each counter measure.

How many counter measures? And root cause fix and VIN series for permanent counter measure?

Looks rather scary to see your $65,000+ vehicle looking like a high school wood shop project with 2x4’s and C clamps to repair this problem.

GM needs to do the right thing and inform the customers as to the root cause and permanent counter to this issue.

I cannot buy a vehicle without this information.

Snuke1e

Hi Guys and (GM customer care I would appreciate a response)
I had the opportunity to ask an engineer from one of the big three about this issue. Service bulletin PIT 5318
His review of the information was quite intrusting. He thought this was more than a minor problem.
NUMBER 1 ISSUE WHAT IS THE ROOT CAUSE?????
What this means is there is a problem GM offers a counter measure (temporary fix) till they can determine the ROOT cause.
Root cause could it be a tolerance issue, build up issue, material break down issue, bonding issue. Time frame issue to determine a heating and cooling cycle that may cause material failure?
As you can see this might take some time to identify mean while cars are still produced at our expense.
Other very important piece of missing information he said was (VIN break) the series of VIN numbers of the vehicles affected by each counter measure.
How many counter measures? And root cause fix and VIN series for permanent counter measure?
Looks rather scary to see your $65,000+ vehicle looking like a high school wood shop project with 2x4’s and C clamps to repair this problem.
GM needs to do the right thing and inform the customers as to the root cause and permanent counter to this issue.
I cannot buy a vehicle without this information.
Snuke1e

I am with you. GM returned my money for the 2015 Denali yesterday. I really want to buy another one...I just don't think they know what the problem truly is at this point. They did all of the service bulletin work to it and there was no resolution...hence, getting my money back. Caddy, GMC, and Chevy are all having this same issue. It is a class-effect. I would love to order another one...I am just afraid I may get another one with the same issue.

Hey snuke1e,

We see your concerned with taking delivery of your vehicle. Could you please send us a private message with your order number and a VIN if you have already? We'd like to look into this further for you.

Sincerely,

Eddie A.

GM Customer Care

Edited by GM Customer Service

SO here's am interesting new development....

Along with the LONG list of sqeaks, rattles, low speed power issue, and sound Buffeting, the Check Engine came on. So I took it in to our local dealership. They are stating the light came on because I put in E85 fuel. Thought this was strange for our 07 Suburban ran fine on E85, and I was sure I'd read this is a E85 vehicle. Sent the service advisor some verbage off GM's webpage stating the 2015 Yukon is a E85 vehicle. The Manager just called and said my particular yukon IS NOT equipped with the required E85 sensors ?????? WHAT ?

Why would mine be any different from all the others? Not sure I buy this response from the dealership. Still have not addressed the power issues OR the main reason its there. The sound buffeting. Been there all week now.

Sent a reply to GM customer care let’s see what happens?????

Asked the following questions.

What is the root cause of the service bulletin PIT 5318 and what VIN series are affected by counter measures and if there has been a permanent counter measure and VIN series.

What production line counter measures have been applied to the vehicle I ordered?

Fingers crossed?