2015 YUKON NOISE IN CABIN

• 1 month later...

Y'all will hate me. I did not test drive mine. Rolled the dice and lucked out. Minor complaihts. 2k miles in now

Here is an update to our purchase. Maybe minor boom remains. However I installed the GM BORLA exhaust and due to its "hum" I don't notice ANYTHING but that, and it's a good thing. We don't have any vibration issues and the buffeting which is/was present is completely not noticeable. I have grown to love this this thing and so far so good. 3500 miles now.

2017 LT 20 continental's.

• 1 month later...

Just joined after reading this entire thread. Unfortunately, I purchased a new 2017 Yukon Denalli XL before reading it. I have the buffeting issue - it's horrible. Sadly, we only took it on a short test drive. Not sure where to start! I'm thinking about going with 20" wheels and the Michelin tires.

Edited by HorsemanAR

Quick update - I went to Discount Tire and ordered a set of Michelin Premier LTX, 22" for existing wheels. Heck of deal, and they gave me a 300 buck credit for the OEM tires. Something is better than nothing. And, they offered their usual 30 day satisfaction guarantee. The manager said if the 22" Michelin tires didn't help, he'd take those back for full refund, and I could order 20" wheels and the same tire in a 20"...and maintain the 300 buck discount on the OEM tires. I was pleased! I'll update when I know more.

• 1 month later...

So, I posted over a year ago when I purchased my 2016 Yukon Denali.

It's been basically fine up until a few weeks ago when I had the vehicle in for an oil change. They checked the alignment (screening diagnostics, in order to generate $) and said mine needed adjustment. I said go for it.

Probably should have left well enough alone - as the sleeping giant has awakened (though it could just be coincidence). A unmistakable vibration is getting more and more frequent AND louder and is most noticeable when either holding speed or very slightly accelerating - upper 40's to low 50's seems to be the sweet spot/trigger, but it can also be detected for a very brief moment when the transmission shifts gears.

I took the vehicle back in this morning and they re-aligned it and road force balanced the tires, apparently to no avail. Got a loaner and they're going to look closer at it on Monday. I can't say I'm hopeful.

In the past couple of months I've also noticed a few quirks - and was wondering if anyone else had experienced this. Just yesterday, while turning into a parking spot (90 degree turn) with the wheel cranked FULLY to the left, it felt like a hard slip of some type - a jolt/bump. Lasted just a moment, but it felt like it really yanked the driveshaft or something. Nothing was in the parking lot to cause this.

In addition to this, upon a cold start (in Florida, by no means COLD!) and putting it into gear and pulling out of the garage 3-4 times I've noted what felt like the transmission slip then jolt/catch and then continue on as if nothing happened.

Not sure if either of those two things are associated with the problem or not - but thought I'd throw that out there.

FINGERS CROSSED

So, I posted over a year ago when I purchased my 2016 Yukon Denali.

It's been basically fine up until a few weeks ago when I had the vehicle in for an oil change. They checked the alignment (screening diagnostics, in order to generate $) and said mine needed adjustment. I said go for it.

Probably should have left well enough alone - as the sleeping giant has awakened (though it could just be coincidence). A unmistakable vibration is getting more and more frequent AND louder and is most noticeable when either holding speed or very slightly accelerating - upper 40's to low 50's seems to be the sweet spot/trigger, but it can also be detected for a very brief moment when the transmission shifts gears.

I took the vehicle back in this morning and they re-aligned it and road force balanced the tires, apparently to no avail. Got a loaner and they're going to look closer at it on Monday. I can't say I'm hopeful.

In the past couple of months I've also noticed a few quirks - and was wondering if anyone else had experienced this. Just yesterday, while turning into a parking spot (90 degree turn) with the wheel cranked FULLY to the left, it felt like a hard slip of some type - a jolt/bump. Lasted just a moment, but it felt like it really yanked the driveshaft or something. Nothing was in the parking lot to cause this.

In addition to this, upon a cold start (in Florida, by no means COLD!) and putting it into gear and pulling out of the garage 3-4 times I've noted what felt like the transmission slip then jolt/catch and then continue on as if nothing happened.

Not sure if either of those two things are associated with the problem or not - but thought I'd throw that out there.

FINGERS CROSSED

Very interesting. I had an opposite experience. Dealer did a routine wheel alignment and it seemed to reduce the buffeting drastically. So much for that meaning anything, if you had the opposite experience.

For sure my transmission shifts funny sometimes. Like it's slipping between gears momentarily. Another fricken' problem with these junkers.....

Monday came around and the dealer called me (meanwhile I'm "enjoying" the Chevy Trax I've got as a loaner, NOT). They feel that something is wrong with the transmission and are hoping that their planned fix takes care of the vibration... just my luck that it's just another non-related issue.

They're focusing on the torque converter - specifically the filter to the solenoid (or something along those lines). Part on order, then transmission flush/fill and 200 miles of break-in. I should have noted my fuel level when I dropped it off!

I have a 2015 Yukon Denali that began showing the vibration around the 11,000 mile mark.

I would describe this, as many others have, as an extreme vibration and buffeting that sounds like a window is down creating uneven cabin pressure--except the feeling and vibration is worse than that. It also sounds like you're running over very bad pavement. It shakes the whole vehicle in a bone jarring way and even makes people nauseous. I noticed it was more likely to happen when maintaining speed on an incline or level road but rarely downhill.

I took the vehicle into Sierra in Madison, TN. They appear to have fixed the the issue using Bulletin 16-NA-175, which calls this "Torque converter shudder".

Edited by MrBondTN
  • Like 1

I have a 2015 Yukon Denali that began showing the vibration around the 11,000 mile mark.

I would describe this, as many others have, as an extreme vibration and buffeting that sounds like a window is down creating uneven cabin pressure--except the feeling and vibration is worse than that. It also sounds like you're running over very bad pavement. It shakes the whole vehicle in a bone jarring way and even makes people nauseous. I noticed it was more likely to happen when maintaining speed on an incline or level road but rarely downhill.

I took the vehicle into Sierra in Madison, TN. They appear to have fixed the the issue using Bulletin 16-NA-175, which calls this "Torque converter shudder".

Got mine back last Friday. They had to replace the filter TWICE, but it actually appears to have eliminated the vibration. I was quite skeptical that this would have caused the issue I was having, but I'm a believer (for now) !!

Got tired of reading all these entries. But you need help on diagnostics.

First load front and rear axles at all 4 points off the ground in a quite area of the garage. Make sure "ALL" 4 tires are off the ground by a few inches. Best object to use is 4 equal / level jack stands with multiple shop towels insulating the jack stand from the axles / control arms to isolate any potential noise transmission. Run the truck back up to the speed of issue of noise / buffeting. If the noise / buffeting is gone, it's a tire tread design / wind resistance issue.

I don't think the diagnostic techs have access to special made "test tires" with super smooth tread and super balance to eliminate tire issues. They "must" use a completely different tire / tread design as part of the diagnostic procedure or they are just screwing around. They must also change the tire pressure in 10 psi increments from 20 psi base to the maximum recommended pressure to see if the issue changes.

The other part is they have to use some duct tape and heavy cardboard to redirect areas of airflow that could cause body / chassis parts to vibrate. If the issue is present, the diagnostic service people will have to observe / feel / move vibration sensors around to locate the greatest frequency disturbance.

Does this problem change when you have 4 people in the cab???

I keep seeing driveshaft issues. The areas of diagnostics are, is any of the u-joints binding when the axle is loaded??? Is the pinon bearing preloaded correctly / or binding??? Is the driveshaft inclination near zero degrees??? Is there any bushings driveline mounts made out of urethane??? Is one of the brakes dragging??? What is the drive shaft lateral run out / balance at the speed of issue??? Are they using 2 or more large radiator hose clamps holding heavy washers to change the balance characteristic of the drive shaft???

There is a test I do with a small rubber mallet to see what might vibrate underneath the complete truck. Look for things that can catch airflow and vibrate. I've even beat the chit out of floor pans because the way they resonance vibrations and used sheet deadener.

More I read, there is a corrective fix, but could be labor intensive. In my time I used sheets of sound deadener wherever sound was emanating through the cab. This sound deadener looks "Freeze Guard" like they put on the lower 6 feet of a roofing job with paper on both sides.

Hand this entry over to the diagnostic boys. They will poo -poo my ideas, ...but I did driveability diagnostics for 36 years to their 2 or 3. If there's a problem, ...it can be fixed. Keep in touch on this.

Edited by Motor City Rick

Got mine back last Friday. They had to replace the filter TWICE, but it actually appears to have eliminated the vibration. I was quite skeptical that this would have caused the issue I was having, but I'm a believer (for now) !!

Which filter is this?

Which filter is this?

Monday came around and the dealer called me (meanwhile I'm "enjoying" the Chevy Trax I've got as a loaner, NOT). They feel that something is wrong with the transmission and are hoping that their planned fix takes care of the vibration... just my luck that it's just another non-related issue.

They're focusing on the torque converter - specifically the filter to the solenoid (or something along those lines). Part on order, then transmission flush/fill and 200 miles of break-in. I should have noted my fuel level when I dropped it off!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All. Been a while since I checked in. Did anyone ever get any relief from the booming/pressure/buffeting by installing the Borla exhaust? Back in the day, probably 2 years ago now when this thread was on fire, adding/replacing exhaust was being experimented with before focusing on the tires. Just curious...

Edited by jasondenali15