First TRUCK ever!

Hi there, new member from Winnipeg, Manitoba here. Just worked a deal on my first ever truck, a 2011 Sierra SLT Z71 Crewcab with 69,000 kms on the clock. It's a private purchase, picking it up later this week. It's black on black, leather, chrome wheels, Z85 trailering package, spray in box liner, roll away tonneau cover, weathertech floor liners...only problem I could find on the thing was the front air dam was missing a clip. Previous owner still had the original window sticker, and had the 60,000km major service done at the dealer.

A little about me, I've never had a truck before. My dad drove Suburbans/Yukon XL's for YEARS so I've spent time behind the wheel and done some light towing...mostly dragging my dad's golf cart home from the golf course after he had a few. He's been gone for a few years now so I haven't done any towing, and only drove a truck a couple times when we borrowed the in-laws' Silverado for a dump run after we bought our house.

My first 10 driving years were spent behind the wheel of Pontiacs, a 93 Sunbird and a 98 Grand Prix. Spent the past 10 driving an assortment of Subaru's. This past winter, my wife and I decided that it was time to make some changes. I've always maintained that I needed something fun to drive, and as long as that box is ticked, whatever else I have is fine. She had a friend whose dad is a sales manager at a Ford dealership, so I worked a great deal on a brand new 2014 Mustang GT. I sold my beloved 2007 Subaru Legacy Spec.B a couple days ago, and found this gem of a truck.

My wife has a couple horses, a 4 year old thoroughbred about a year off the track that's turned into a nice little jumper that she's started showing in the thoroughbred classes, and a 3 year old Canadian warmblood that she's just starting to break. This was our primary reason for looking at trucks. She has to haul a lot of stuff around, and we'll eventually need to get our own trailer and start pulling to her shows. I co-own a cottage as well with my sister, and being that neither of our families has had a truck or hauling vehicle of any kind, crap has piled up around the place over the last few years, so it'll do some hauling as well. I don't have any plans for modifications, that's what my Mustang is for. And we also have a couple dogs that come everywhere with us....the Mustang struggles with that. The wife drive's a 2008 Mazda3 5-speed sedan. Fun little car, good on gas...makes up for the guzzling I'll be doing...though ironically, both the truck and my Mustang get roughly the same highway mileage as the turbo-4 in the Legacy.

So that's me. I don't really have plans for modifications, I've got a toy for that. But I may have some technical questions along the way as issues arise. No matter how good a truck it is, it's still a used pickup that's 3+ years old. :)

No Scooby STi?? Would have been helluva lot more fun than the Ford!

Hahaha, I like the STI, and I've driven the new '15 in anger, but anger is all that car knows. It won't settle down and just drive to the grocery store or roll the windows back for a nice cruise on a nice evening, that's why I got the Mustang...and the Mustang is plenty fun...and more comfortable.

Hahaha, I like the STI, and I've driven the new '15 in anger, but anger is all that car knows. It won't settle down and just drive to the grocery store or roll the windows back for a nice cruise on a nice evening, that's why I got the Mustang...and the Mustang is plenty fun...and more comfortable.

That is definitely true! I considered one when I was car shopping but settled on a vw gti for now lol.

That is definitely true! I considered one when I was car shopping but settled on a vw gti for now lol.

It was actually my wife that got the ball rolling. I've been ogling Mustangs for years, particularly since the 11 model year. One day I was bitching that I didn't like the styling on the 15 and she said, "Well then I guess it's time isn't it?" So now I have a truck!! :D

Well, finally brought the big boy home last night. Took a few extra days because the guy I bought it from was still waiting for his new 2015 Sierra. Just about takes up the entire length of my driveway! Will take some getting used to but it's a beautiful truck.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived