2015 Silverado & Sierra to get 8-speed transmission

Zane

Zane drives the 8-speed - read his thoughts - Correct Link

silverado_8speed.jpeg

By Zane Merva
Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com
7/18/2014
General Motors has confirmed that every 2015 full-size truck and suv equipped with the 6.2L EcoTec3 engine will be offered with a brand new GM developed 8-speed transmission.
This includes the Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and YukonXL.

The new Hydra-Matic 8L90 eight-speed is similar in size to the outgoing 6-speed and will allow lower rear axle ratios for improved fuel economy.

Fuel economy and additional specifications for 8-speed equipped vehicles will be announced later this year.

-----------------------
2015 Chevrolet and GMC Pickups, SUVs to Offer Eight-Speed Transmission
DETROIT – Chevrolet and GMC have confirmed a new eight-speed automatic transmission will be standard on 2015 Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra and GMC Yukon Denali/Yukon XL Denali models equipped with the 6.2L EcoTec3 V-8.
The GM-developed Hydra-Matic 8L90 eight-speed is approximately the same size and weight as the Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic. Its 7.0 overall gear ratio spread is wider than GM’s six-speed automatic transmissions, providing a numerically higher first gear ratio to help drivers start off more confidently with a heavy load or when trailering. The 8L90 also enables numerically lower rear axle ratios, which reduce engine rpm on the highway.
With 420 horsepower and 460 lb.-ft. of torque, the 6.2L EcoTec3 V-8 is the most powerful engine offered in any light-duty pickup, and offers a maximum available trailer rating of 12,000 pounds, based on SAE J2807 Recommended Practices. As with other EcoTec3 engines, it seamlessly switches to four-cylinder operation under lighter loads to improve fuel economy.
Additional technical details and the EPA estimated fuel economy will be announced closer to the start of production in the fourth quarter of 2014.
Attached Images:

Click here to view the article

silverado_8speed.jpeg

silverado_8speed.jpeg

silverado_8speed.jpeg

Called this one a while back...bout time they announced it.

Anyone wanna bet the 6.2 sees highway numbers bump to 22 or 23mpg? City to 16-17? If this trans trickles down to the 5.3 and 4.3, then the Colorado better get 30+mpg to be worth sticking in the lineup, and the V6 version pull atleast 26-28mpg highway and be cheaper by a good chunk. I could see the 5.3 pulling 24 highway and 4.3 25-26 with this trans. This will be very interesting to watch how it all pans out.

Edited by newdude

It was leaked 2-3 months ago on many major auto sites, that the K2XX would get major updated for 2015.

Been through the order guides unless they redesigned anything on the interior and haven't shown it yet, nothing "major". Obviously 8L90 for 6.2, new camper mirrors, rear HVAC vents for rear occupants will show up either for 15 or 16, a new blue exterior color, addition of bodyside moldings, reg cab gets the 8inch MyLink available with or without nav...etc.

I think it would have been nice to get the 6-speed transmission right instead of it (or the transfer case) clunking all the time. Also, isn't this a shared design with Ford? My last Ford transmission had to be rebuild twice and then finally was replaced after a lengthy, time consuming fight... all before 38K. And every Ford my family has had prior has had transmission issues. Oddly, never a transmission issue with a Chrysler product - go figure! Haha...

• Like 2

GM has to have the worst product roll outs ever. Its a 2015 model year and has already seen major changes. I ordered a 2015 Yukon XL Denali in April and it just shipped out......No 8 speed in it either.......So a vehicle I do not have yet is already out dated. Debating on just cancelling it now and finding something else.

GM needs to pull their head out of there you know what.

Do it right the first time..............

• Like 1