truck stalls when driving

i have a 2002 2500HD with the 8.1. i will be driving and it wil just stall on me. i pull over try to start it and it just cranks over. with in a minute or so it will start right up.

anybody have a idea what may be causeing this?

thanks for the help

i have not checked to see if any codes are coming up. the check engine light does not come on. i did do a search and came up with a crank position sensor issue.

i will try the engine cleaner and see what happens, that cant hurt.

I got it! Just watched an episode of HotRod garage on YouTube. They had a problem with their distributer. That could be it for you. Granted your truck isn't a 1970's big block, it could still be the same issue. Symptoms described were very similar. Check it out, hotrod garage episode 3.

Too little info to provide a guess. But it sounds as if you have a repeatable failure and that is actually good. A problem that is frequently observed lets you test and narrow down on the cause. I'd agree with servnantsalesmen on the throtlebody and more specifically the Idle air control valve for cleaning.

Could it be a bad coil pack? I just listened to car talk and they diagnosed a very similar problem as an over heating coil pack. If they get too hot, the fail and once given time to cool, will start back up. Next time it dies, pour some cool water on the coil/motor and if it starts right back up then that could be your problem.

Could it be a bad coil pack? I just listened to car talk and they diagnosed a very similar problem as an over heating coil pack. If they get too hot, the fail and once given time to cool, will start back up. Next time it dies, pour some cool water on the coil/motor and if it starts right back up then that could be your problem.

there are 8 coil packs

the problem went away. i posted another issue i was having about not getting any cold air. someone suggested that i disconnect the battery for a min. and that should reset the system.

i did that and now i get cold air and it hasnt stalled once sense.

thanks for all the help.

Archived