Roof Leaking. Water coming in at visor attachment.Thoughts?

Hey guys. Every time it rains hard, I have drops of rain dripping from my driver's side visor mount where it attaches to the roof. I'm going to have the dealership look at it next service. I just had the 7,500 mile service done but forgot to mention it. I don't think it's coming from the sun roof. The only thing I can think of is the black roof mount antenna on the driver's side. I have included pictures I took today. Mine appears to have a slit in the rubber seal on the rear side of the antenna. Does everyone have the rear slit in the rubber seal? Has only else notice a leak in this area?

20140721 155048

20140721 155038

I noticed that same slit in the rubber seal on my truck XM antenna seal this weekend when I was washing it. I don't have water leaking in the cabin though (*KNOCK ON WOOD!). But yeah I'm not sure what's up with that gap in the seal. Seems like it's no longer watertight.

My 2007 leaked from the onstar antenna, and the sunroof, and some other seal I can't remember.

Good to see they addressed the issue.

I didn't get a sunroof this time around. Nothing I can do about that antenna, but will lose it, if it starts leaking.

Hey guys. Every time it rains hard, I have drops of rain dripping from my driver's side visor mount where it attaches to the roof. I'm going to have the dealership look at it next service. I just had the 7,500 mile service done but forgot to mention it. I don't think it's coming from the sun roof. The only thing I can think of is the black roof mount antenna on the driver's side. I have included pictures I took today. Mine appears to have a slit in the rubber seal on the rear side of the antenna. Does everyone have the rear slit in the rubber seal? Has only else notice a leak in this area?

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/158522-water-leak-in-the-roof/

Sorry Chuck, didn't realize that you had already posted the link.

Edited by 14LTZZ71
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for the feedback. After searching for a while, I did find the other link on here that talks about the leaking roof. I plan to have it looked at on my next service. From the posts above, I guess it could be the on-star antenna or maybe the windshield seal. Either way, hopefully my guy at GMC will get it fixed.

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

my 14 silverado had same issue. gasket splits in rear and it poored in thru overhead console filling cup holders. new gasket and sealant to fix.

This is the first post I've found that described the issue I'm having. Mine is and 08 that I bought new, but it only has 35K on it and I baby it. Suddenly my headliner is soaked just in the overhead console right in front of my sunroof. Naturally, I assumed it was the sunroof but the drains seem to be clear of junk and drain just fine when I tested it. Also, most people report the headliner gets wet by the A pillars when the drains are plugged, but mine is bone dry there. I looked at the back of my OnStar antenna and there is a split there. I crammed some dum-dum in there for the time being since it's pouring rain and dark outside right now, but we'll see if that cures the issue!

(Of course I have a 24x28 shop, which is filled with my Avanti up on jack stands and my SL500 Convertible next to it, so the truck sits outside!)

my 14 silverado had same issue. gasket splits in rear and it poored in thru overhead console filling cup holders. new gasket and sealant to fix.

I had the exact problem with the antennae leaking. I did not want the dealer to drop headliner to repair so I dried the area completely with compressed air and laid a small bead of clear silicone around the base. Instant fix and should last.

my onstar antenna was leaking from new (in Aug 2005, i was the 2nd person in NJ to take delivery of the new V8 Grand Prix GXP) and it was filling the map lights lol... not funny then for sure... That car also had a pinched yaw sensor wire, caught under a screw to the center console on assembly... great job "eh" (built in a canadian plant which won quality build awards lol...i can't win!) stranded with 90 miles on it.. no power at all..was shorting out... and then again at 250 miles

PS. my first all terrain (a new 2008 Extended cab) was allowing water to come in through a loosely fitted passenger front door.. used to soak the floor... I don't know why... i keep buying these GM's? I lemon law'd a 2003 Envoy XUV for AC that would go hot for no reason after the first start of the day (once it was shut down, upon restart AC would take several minutes of hot air blowing before compressor would come on.. replaced EVERYTHING to no avail!)

now i have a Sierra that oscillates or vibrates, take your pic, on the hwy

Edited by TonyAllTerrain

had same problem on my 2014. have the dealer check for any "dimples" or anything that might make the roof not flat. it took 3 tries before they noticed the dimples, flattened them and now no leaks from the onstar "shark fin".