how long will it take to drop a Trans?

I have an 04 Sierra 2500HD with the 4L80-e and my flexplate is cracked. I have never removed a Trans before but I know I can do it. I'm just wondering how long it would approximately take start to finish. Truck is a 4X4 which complicates things just a bit more. I need to remove the transmission, replace the flexplate, replace the Trans cooler lines and replace the fuel lines. With all those things being done at once, assuming I have all the parts ready, how long am I looking at? I will be needing the truck soon and am wondering if I can have it done before the time I need it or if I should just wait and not rush and rent a truck for my needs.

Sorry for the long post but I'm just looking for some opinions.

I have an 04 Sierra 2500HD with the 4L80-e and my flexplate is cracked. I have never removed a Trans before but I know I can do it. I'm just wondering how long it would approximately take start to finish. Truck is a 4X4 which complicates things just a bit more. I need to remove the transmission, replace the flexplate, replace the Trans cooler lines and replace the fuel lines. With all those things being done at once, assuming I have all the parts ready, how long am I looking at? I will be needing the truck soon and am wondering if I can have it done before the time I need it or if I should just wait and not rush and rent a truck for my needs.

Sorry for the long post but I'm just looking for some opinions.

Also just wondering, for Trans cooler lines, is there anything in particular that will be difficult?

I'm thinking take plenty of time and not rush is my best bet. I have done tons of research on it and I'm going to tackle it eventually, just gotta find time! Just wondering, I read online that a cracked flexplate results from excessive misalignment of the engine and transmission. Is this true? The plate cracked at right around 75,000 miles.

i had a truck on my hoist up north after the customer bought a SRTA tranny over the counter and tried to put it in himself ..

we figured he took the tranny/t case out together and put it in the same way cuzzz the torgue converter fell off ,,,he then just kinda set it back on the input shaft ,,,,,,(i'll let that sink in abit).......

he then barked the tranny to the block ,finished up and hit the key ,,,,didnt turn a tire ,,,,

he destroyed the oil pump with the improper installation of the TC ,,,,,hilarious ,,,$2000 more and he was away ,,,,he saved alot doin it himself eh ?

how do you misalign an engine/transmission with 1/2 dowel pins on either side ???

so the answer is not true

Easy to get misalignment, just need to get something between the bellhousing and block. Dirt, part of the wiring harness, a burr on the bellhousing/block, etc....happens quite a bit.

Most times when a flexplate cracks, it was just a bad flexplate.

i had a truck on my hoist up north after the customer bought a SRTA tranny over the counter and tried to put it in himself ..

we figured he took the tranny/t case out together and put it in the same way cuzzz the torgue converter fell off ,,,he then just kinda set it back on the input shaft ,,,,,,(i'll let that sink in abit).......

he then barked the tranny to the block ,finished up and hit the key ,,,,didnt turn a tire ,,,,

he destroyed the oil pump with the improper installation of the TC ,,,,,hilarious ,,,$2000 more and he was away ,,,,he saved alot doin it himself eh ?

Now that's a horror story if I have ever heard one! My thinking is do mad research before I take anything apart. Then just go slow, take notes and photos for the install and use common sense and I should be fine. I also have a father who has dropped and reinstalled several transmissions and engines in his day so I do have someone knowledgeable to help me out if I need.

I think I should but would you recommend separating the Trans and transfer case before removal?

Ya have to loose the t case first after shafts and trans xmber.

I had a guy up north put in a SRTA AND 30K KM Later it's on my hoist all cooked , I removed the t case and found this fuzz in the adaptor, whatever I thought , I pull th e tranny , mount it at my bench , loose the pan and there is more of this fuzz in the FILTER PICKUP,

Ya see when a new rebuilt GM tranny is installed (which has oil in it) it barfs oil when the powertrain is tilted slightly ,,,,, So I figured he put a rag in the adaptor .........and didn't remove it ..... It disintegrated and went into the tranny thru the little drain hole , and that was it for the tranny ..

I got a million stories

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that really helps pulling a trans with no lift is a dedicated transmission jack. I own a harbor fright transmission jack ($100?) and it worked well for pulling an NV4500 and NP241 as a unit. Makes lining and lifting a whole lot easier.

Archived