did my 06 sierra come off the lot with synthetic oil?

You guys dont know me, im never on here unless i have a problem. I totaled my 2012 sierra a couple months ago, and bought an 06 sierra z71. pretty much a mirror of my 12 model only an 06. It had 95,000 miles and is in excellent shape. I have no clue what kind of oil, it came from the factory with, or what the previous owner was using. I know my 2012 was supposed to use sythetic, so i ran castrol full synthetic for the 47,000 miles that i owned it. Ive already changed the oil once in my 06 and i used castrol gtx high mileage 5w30, which is good for 5000 miles. the reason im asking is because #1 i want to use what im supposed to be using according to the manufacturer #2 i commute a total of 2.5 hours a day roundtrip to my job, so i want to get the most for my money out of my oil changes. i know switching to full synthetic wouldnt hurt anything, the high mileage is already a synthetic blend. but if truck rolled off the lot in 06 with full sythetic oil, then thats what i want to go back to , plus i can push on up to 6000 miles per oil change which makes my tire rotation and oil changes match up. as many miles as i put on a vehicle this is important to me. any help would be appreciated.

Neither truck came with full synthetic oil....the '06 would have been 5W-30 conventional,and the '12 would have been Dexos1 5W-30 synthetic blend.

well im familiar with correct maintenance.....this is pretty much a fossil verses synthetic talk....so the first guy said it came with convetional....that answers that question...im currently running a high mileage synthetic blend, and im thinking on going to full synthetic strictly to help simplify and quantify my maintenance based on the amount of time i spend on the road. im thinking about full sythetic, i dont see what it will hurt.

Have an oil sample tested to see what your change interval should be, since this is a new to you, used vehicle. You may have conditions that require it to be changes a tad sooner

Archived