Waxing new blue granite metallic

My Silverado LT is about 6 months old and lives in Charleston, SC. The truck has been waxed twice but the hood has never felt glass smooth (nor has the rest of the truck) so today (being overcast) I washed 1/2 of the hood with a new microfiber cloth and Dawn dish-washing soap to help remove the existing wax. Then, using another new towel I applied Mothers Calif Gold carnauba cleaner wax. The hood still feels mildly rough so I'm thinking rail dust requiring clay barring (sp). Or does metallic paint feel rougher than non-metallic paint?

I've read this Web site - pretty informative:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/06/spare-me-the-details-1/

The old Meguiars #7 will clean it up. Just did mine last night, used it before putting the wax on.

Just too note, use very little on a soft terry cloth & if it builds up, keep going & wipe with clean cloth. The build up is the stuff it is taking off from residues/dust & the like.

Use to only be sold in body shops long before Meguiars hit Wal Mart crap. Still available at Auto Zone in a tan bottle for $12 or so & will last forever.

The best way to get a smooth finish is with a clay bar. Mothers makes a good kit, follow it up with a wax of your choice and your paint will be smooth as glass. If your paint has contaminants in it you can wax it until your eyes bleed, all you are doing is sealing in the imperfections.

Observation in the video...

Only use the clay in one direction per panel. I noticed he went front to back and then side to side on the hood, that's a detail sin.

Observation in the video...

Only use the clay in one direction per panel. I noticed he went front to back and then side to side on the hood, that's a detail sin.

I just used Meguiars clay bar kit and a coat of rejex sealant and my paint is smooth as glass! Clay bar is very beneficial . It not only removes embedded contaminants it allows your wax or sealant to the adhere to the paint better which gives you a greater shine and longer protection. IMO

Archived