99 k1500 4wd axle help

Hello,

As background the burb locked up on the road. Had it towed home. Grinding sound in transfer case and rear axle. Started with transfer case and rebuilt it. Helped some. Changed u joints. Nothing. Decided to check differential and when I took off the cover it looked like a metalic mixed salad,

Decided to get a rear end from junk yard. Took a while to find a 3:42 with posi. When I did I was fortunate to find one with a newly rebuilt gearset and a new posi. Installed the junk yard rear assembly, tested and after changing the wheel cylinders all is great.

NOW for the admitted stupidity. Went to put the drums on and realized the new axles were 5 lug and my wheels are 6 lug. Back to the junk yard to swap out. Brought the six lugs home and they are to long.

MY QUESTION: Are the 5 lug and 6 lug axles interchangeable? If so are their year/model restrictions? If all is lost is there a way to change the 5 lug to 6 lug?

I appreciate any help and since I am not a great mechanic this has taken some time. Looking to finishing this.

Jim

Archived