Drastic Ride Height Change after Shackle replacement.

Gents,

After experiencing the Famous GM Rear Leaf Spring Shackle Rot on my 03 Silverado 4x4, I replaced both shackles and all 4 bolts with OEM parts.

My problem now lies in the ride height. The back is considerably higher then the front.

Let me set the story.....Replaced worn tie rod ends, pitman and idler arm and 4 new Monroe Shocks. Went to have 4 new tires put on it and have it aligned and that's when the trouble started.

I noticed that over the course of a year the left rear was starting to sag but never gave it much thought. Anyway after replacing everthing and it's on the alignment rack one of the tech's notices the left rear sagging and they adjust the torsion bar to bring the left side of the truck up. They do the alignment and I'm on my way. By the next day I'm returning to the shop because the front end is pulling big time to the left. Back up on the rack it goes and they get their "Top Guy" to check it out. He finds that the rear left shackle is broken in half.

So I replace the shackles, return the now fully adjusted Torsion bar back to where it should be , the rear end is now sitting level but it's up much higher then the front.

What could have changed? Will I need to readjust the front torsion bar settings to bring the front back up and have it realigned?

I'm out of ideas as to what may have happened?

Lou

How much is "much higher" than the front? If its only 1-2" then thats fine

OK, here are the numbers : from the ground, centerline of wheel, to bottom of fender opening lip:

Front: Left - 33 7/8"

Right - 33 1/2"

Rear: Left - 38 3/4"

Right - 38 1/4"

5" difference between front and rear...I'm no expert but to me that seems like a lot ?

That's why I posted here, you guys would know better then me !

But 5" of rake seems excessive. Did you install OEM shackles? or did you install lift shackles.

Were they the same size as the ones you took off your truck?

I made a OOPS and posted this in the 2500HD/3500HD section so I reposting this here. I din't know if it matters but here it is:

Gents,

After experiencing the Famous GM Rear Leaf Spring Shackle Rot on my 03 Silverado 4x4, I replaced both shackles and all 4 bolts with OEM parts.

My problem now lies in the ride height. The back is considerably higher then the front.

Let me set the story.....Replaced worn tie rod ends, pitman and idler arm and 4 new Monroe Shocks. Went to have 4 new tires put on it and have it aligned and that's when the trouble started.

I noticed that over the course of a year the left rear was starting to sag but never gave it much thought. Anyway after replacing everthing and it's on the alignment rack one of the tech's notices the right rear sagging and they adjust the torsion bar to bring the left side of the truck up. They do the alignment and I'm on my way. By the next day I'm returning to the shop because the front end is pulling big time to the left. Back up on the rack it goes and they get their "Top Guy" to check it out. He finds that the rear right shackle is broken in half.

So I replace the shackles, back out the now fully bottomed out Torsion bar adjustment bolt back to where it should be measuring the left side as reference and the rear end is now sitting level but it's up much higher then the front.

What could have changed? Will I need to readjust the front torsion bar settings to bring the front back up and have it realigned?

I'm out of ideas as to what may have happened?

I also took some measurements, in case someone ask's !

From the ground, centerline of wheel, to bottom of fender opening lip:

Front: Left - 33 7/8"

Right - 33 1/2"

Rear: Left - 38 3/4"

Right - 38 1/4"

5" difference between front and rear...I'm no expert but to me that seems like a lot ?

That's why I posted here, you guys would know better then me !

I would readjust the t-bars up front. Chances are they are adjusted too low.

Can you snap a picture of your CV angles up front.

From what I recall the T-Bars were never touched during the alignment, only the rear, on the side that was sagging. Before I did all of the work it was still bone stock and never had the ride height adjusted. This all happened after the work was done.

I'm at work at the moment so I'll snap and post a picture when I get home this evening.

OK, Is there only one pair of that adjust both front and rear? Or is there seperate T-bar adjuster bolt for both the front and rear ?

I backed out the right side T-Bar bolt , which lowered the right rear, that I watched get tightened up while it was on the rack. Like I said, I have no clue , that's why I'm asking you guys ! LOL

You'll have to forgive me guys.....I may be a little thick at times. I just got done talking to a guy here at work who used to own a repair shop. He just explained to me that those bolts for the T-bar are FOR THE FRONT ONLY ! DUHHHHHHHh.....Of course it's for the front, the back has leaf springs. So now I'm wondering , since I replaced the shackles with exact OEM replacements and in theory nothing changed in the rear, the problem has to be up front. Now i'm wondering if Firestone didn't mess with both adjuster bolts, trying to compensate for the busted shackle !

Can you post a picture of your truck from the side? Interested to see what it looks like with a 5" difference.

I'm at work at the moment so I'll snap and post a picture when I get home this evening.

But 5" of rake seems excessive. Did you install OEM shackles? or did you install lift shackles.

Were they the same size as the ones you took off your truck?

Yes, OEM Parts. The parts tag was still wired to the shackles and yes they were identical to the originals.

Front end looks WAY low. Back end looks perfect.

I would crank up the torsion bars to get it back to level. To do this you'll need to jack up the front end so the wheels are off the ground. Secure the truck with jack stands. Proceed to tighten the torsion bar bolts. 8 or so turns should net about 2" of lift on the front end. And that will get you closer to where it should be.

After you take the truck off jack stands, take it for a drive (about ~5 miles) to let the torsion bars settle. Then re-measure.

When you are happy where it sits, get it re-aligned.

Archived