I should have driven my 2500 Denali at night before purchasing

I am taking delivery of my new 15 GMC 2500 HD this afternoon however I have already picked up my HID kit that I purchased from www.theretrofitsource.com as I prefer to have as much light as far as possible. I will report back on the difference between the two using my stock projector headlights and if anyone wants I can take photos of what I end up doing. Again this is in the eye of the beholder but after test driving the truck at night I bought the HID kit before taking delivery which is how fast I want the halogens gone!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am taking delivery of my new 15 GMC 2500 HD this afternoon however I have already picked up my HID kit that I purchased from www.theretrofitsource.com as I prefer to have as much light as far as possible. I will report back on the difference between the two using my stock projector headlights and if anyone wants I can take photos of what I end up doing. Again this is in the eye of the beholder but after test driving the truck at night I bought the HID kit before taking delivery which is how fast I want the halogens gone!

I know it has only been two days, but if you have any light (ha!) to shed on the subject it would be greatly appreciated. I am getting very close to buying a 2015 Sierra and I am used to HIDs in my car and my wife's car has projector head lights and they aren't as good as my current vehicle with HIDs but they aren't horrible. Just don't want to have major buyer's remorse picking up a Sierra.

Hey Matt well I am putting the HID kit in tomorrow. I will tell you that I am surprised at how well the halogen projectors actually light up the road however it's nowhere near what I believe the HIDs will do. I'll try and take a photo of before and after. I think you'll be content with the halogens however I have to change them out as I prefer more light!

Do you know if the truck has the updated bulbs and programming?

Do you know if the truck has the updated bulbs and programming?

I have no idea about either of those items. Today I installed my HIDs and of course I forgot to take before and after photographs of the lights. I will say however I am extremely happy with my new lights. They are much brighter, and they also seem to light up left to right better than before. My only complaint is the harness that is supplied when you buy the kit from www.theretrofitsource.com has two wires that are too long and two that are too short. So I had to cut and splice a little but no heavy lifting. Drilling out the back of the headlight cover wasn't too bad and all in all it took about 2-3 hours however a lot of that time is me being super anal about not scratching the truck and keeping it looking factory. Anyways hope this helps!!

I have no idea about either of those items. Today I installed my HIDs and of course I forgot to take before and after photographs of the lights. I will say however I am extremely happy with my new lights. They are much brighter, and they also seem to light up left to right better than before. My only complaint is the harness that is supplied when you buy the kit from www.theretrofitsource.com has two wires that are too long and two that are too short. So I had to cut and splice a little but no heavy lifting. Drilling out the back of the headlight cover wasn't too bad and all in all it took about 2-3 hours however a lot of that time is me being super anal about not scratching the truck and keeping it looking factory. Anyways hope this helps!!

Thanks for the info. Sounds like an upgrade is the way to go. Can you link the kit you bought?

• 3 weeks later...

I agree there is NO side light (left & right), but forward low & high beam straight out seem OK for me.

When I have my fog lamps on, the immediate side areas light up somewhat better, not great but it helps ...

But the fogs only work on low beam so you got to switch to low beams to light up the sides with the fog lamps, and lose the Brighter high beams out front.

Definitely GM© missed on this one ...

Still love this truck overall ...

I found my lights to be on the dull side as well i put in morimoto 55w 6000k for hi/low and went with putco 6000k LED's for the fogs do to heat issue melting the lenses even with only the 35w kits, the lights are ten times better now for sure but just incase i added a Totron 12" curved light bar in the opening in the bumper on a wireless remote.

Archived