A/C Compressor Belt - How Big of a Job?

2007 LC9 5.3L in a Yukon XL, 128K miles.

The compressor belt is showing some cracks, & I'd prefer to change it now, vs. doing so after I've lost A/C.

A gander at some YouTube videos makes it look like I can do the job fairly quickly & easily, with only a 15mm socket wrench (2 tensioners & 5 bolts on a plastic shield under the radiator area). Remove Serpentine belt, remove a/c compressor belt, install new belt, reinstall serpentine (it looks great, btw).

Does this sound right, or have I grossly oversimplified things?

Also, RockAuto shows too many choices for a serpentine belt. Do I go AC Delco, GM, Gates, or what?

Thanks,

FC

I just did this job last week on my 00 suburban. It's really easy. As for the belt brand, there is not really one that is better than others. I just bought a valuecraft from auto zone for the sake of being done that day with no waiting on shipping.

While you're in there, inspect the AC belt tensioner. Mine was trashed which is why I did the repair. It made a horrible noise as if the motor was running without oil! Only reason I say inspect it is because if it looks significantly warn, it's a cheap enough part that replacing it while you have the belts off is worth your while just so you don't have to take it apart again.

So easy, a child could do it! Especially, a 16 year old who's bugging Dad for cash… :lol:

IMG_6211_zps857c1293.jpg

Besides, it was quality bonding time + a teachable moment. He's gonna want his own wheels someday soon, so now's the time for him to see the responsibility that comes with that.

The old belt wasn't exactly awful, but it was getting long in the tooth:

IMG_6214_zps3fbf740a.jpg

Likewise the tensioner could have gone longer, but it was too cheap not to throw-in while we were in there:

IMG_6216_zps660861ff.jpg

Before we started, we took a video of the serpentine belt routing, and had no troubles getting it back on. It was in fine condition, so we didn't replace it.

It worked out to be about 40 minutes of quality time together, and I have to admit that the kid did the bulk of the work. He did have some help, however...

IMG_6207_zps8d68b37a.jpg

FC

Archived