Wind noise from front/drivers side - Bulletin Pl1221

Hi 2015 Sierra,

I understand this is very frustrating for you and apologize for the discontent. Please feel free to send me a PM if you'd like for me to look into this further. I'd be happy to reach out to the dealership on your behalf. Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Eddie A.

GM Customer Care

Im having the same issue on my 2015 Tahoe, Is there anything more than the bulletin that can be done. See my seperate note also

• 2 years later...

I am having this issue in our 2017 Sierra SLT. Extreme wind noise from the front driver side mirror area. I can put duct tape around where its mounted and completely tape up the seam where the mirror plate is bolted to the door, and I hear no wind noise. Take the tape off, and it is so loud, it sounds like a window is cracked. Guess what GM says about it: "Its normal", "It is evidently a characteristic of that vehicle". The sticker price on this truck was almost $56,000 and the wind noise to me is unbearable yet we are told it is normal. So GM has basically said "We have your money, we are not going to fix the issue, we don't really see it as an issue, so you are on your own".

We have been in several other Sierras, they do not sound like this, I made 1 dealership put me in one of their new 17's and drove it, it didn't sound like ours, and we have asked multiple people with this same truck, and theirs don't sound like ours, but somehow; ours is normal???

1 dealer said they replaced the weather strip on the inside around the door, this made no difference.

Another dealer said they removed the mirrors and replaced the gaskets behind the mirror, this made no difference.

Any suggestions?

Try one more thing: on the driver's front door, where the top of the door goes out to the far edge when the door is open, notice there is weatherstripping along the top of the door AND along the outside edge of the door but there is NO weatherstripping right at the point where the top of the door curves and then goes down.  Try putting any stick-on foam tape in this area - the tape does not need to follow the curve, in fact you can use multiple short pieces of the foam tape to make it around the curve.  See if that makes any difference - if it does, then you can do a better job with the foam tape just so it looks better.

• 4 months later...

I know this thread is old, but I just purchased a used 2014 GMC Sierra All Terrain. I noticed the wind noise people are talking about coming from the top of the door on the driver's side, just where the window starts dipping down towards the mirror. Noticed it at 45mph, worst over 70mph. Almost like window was cracked open. Also worsened when I pushed the window outwards, went away almost completely when I grabbed the header with my fingertips and pulled in. Confirmed that it was watertight before buying, figured it is a repairable defect and got a really good deal on the truck. Lucky to have found this post. The PL1221 bulletin suggestion fixed my issue by bending the header inward. The door flush was a few mm outward on the drivers side compared to the passengers like in the picture. It requires a lot more force than what the bulletin lets on to bend in, but it works. I'm not a tiny guy, in my 30s, about 6 ft, 185.  Had to use every bit of it to bend the header in a few mm. I lowered the window, put my butt on the seat, both bare feet at the top of the paneling, and grabbed the header with both hands. Used my feet to hold door steady, and pulled header down towards me while torqueing down on it with my hands like a motorcycle. I did it little by little to ensure I didn't overshoot. A little nervous doing this, but it did the trick! Airtight and no more whistling!!! Hope this helps!!! 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...