Driving With Parking Brake

So the other day I made a rookie mistake and drove almost 5 miles with the parking brake on! Speeds up to 55mph. I could not figure out why the truck was shaking and even pulled over thinking I had a flat tire. The strange thing is there was no light on the dash indicating it was engaged nor was there a chime to alert me. The owners manual states there should be one on all models.

My question is how bad did I screw up the rear brakes? I know its hard to say without taking a look at them. Also I cannot find anywhere if the parking brake is a drum and shoe set up on the 1500 separate from the rear caliper or if the cable simply engages the rear pads. Do you think it could have gotten hot enough to crack the drum or crumble the pads? Also I bought the truck used. Should I take the truck to the dealer and see why there was no warning. I just hate to admit to the dealer what happened. Truck has 12500 miles on it.

Thank you in advance.

The rear brake assembly has an inner drum inside the rear rotor. Its likely you just wore the pad down and have to adjust the cable. It has nothing to do with the calipers at all I believe. I would get the warning checked and tell them your wife did it lol.

Edited by 20Bowtie14
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Definitely got to blame it on your wife when you tell them about it... You should just be able to adjust it like bowtie said

My dad is famous for doing this the older he gets; his 2014 beeped at him for it not even 30 seconds in to the drive. If you didn't get any warning I would take it in.

• Like 1

The rear brake assembly has an inner drum inside the rear rotor. Its likely you just wore the pad down and have to adjust the cable. It has nothing to do with the calipers at all I believe. I would get the warning checked and tell them your wife did it lol.

Okay that's what I thought and was hoping. For the adjustment can I just reverse and hit the brakes or do I need to manually adjust it?

Definitely got to blame it on your wife when you tell them about it... You should just be able to adjust it like bowtie said

My dad is famous for doing this the older he gets; his 2014 beeped at him for it not even 30 seconds in to the drive. If you didn't get any warning I would take it in.

Will do. I just picked up the truck 500 miles ago so I am still learning the nuances.

Thank you

Man up and fix it. Everyone makes mistakes.

Sent from my LGL86C using Tapatalk

The only time I have ever made a mistake was the time I thought I had made a mistake. I was mistaken.

Oh and I fixed your post for you :P

I am thinking there is not much to fix and I just prematurely wore down the shoes. When I get some time I will pop the drum off and take a look.

Thanks for the input fellas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This happen to me on my other vehicles but I never drove the vehicle too far. So you are not alone on this subject matter. Get the adjustments (if needed) completed and put it in your rear view mirror.

By the way - when did they start using (year) the push on and push off instead of having a release handle on the emergency brake? I kinda like the old way. Is it better or worse?

How many people use the emergency brake all the time, sometimes or very little?

Edited by PMattras

By the way - when did they start using (year) the push on and push off instead of having a release handle on the emergency brake? I kinda like the old way. Is it better or worse?

How many people use the emergency brake all the time, sometimes or very little?

I like the old style also. I use mine all the time and always have on all my vehicles. Probably since my first vehicle was a standard it just became natural. When I drive other people vehicle and set it by habit they get pissed; seems like most people don't use it. But that's here in Texas, not too many hills.

I rented a uhaul last weekend and they had a loud alarm on there. Went off even when in park

So the other day I made a rookie mistake and drove almost 5 miles with the parking brake on! Speeds up to 55mph. I could not figure out why the truck was shaking and even pulled over thinking I had a flat tire. The strange thing is there was no light on the dash indicating it was engaged nor was there a chime to alert me. The owners manual states there should be one on all models.

I did that too, only I drove close to 15 miles. I got gas and forgot to release it, but like yours, no dash light. I honestly thought my truck was developing the dreaded "shake/vibration" syndrome. When I got to work, parked, and went to engage the E brake and realized it was already, I called myself every name in the book.

The pedal goes down a lot further now before it gets tight. I know I took quite a bit of life off the shoes that morning. Don't understand why there wasn't any dash warning though.

Come to think of it,the next time I got gas,when I started the truck to leave, just before releasing the E brake, I looked at the dash and there wasn't any warning.

Yeah you need to get the warning checked. I was leaving my house the other day. When I put it in drive I noticed the brake was on I went to release it with my foot and the truck still in drive. I literally moved about 5 feet and got chimes and warnings in the DIC that the brake was still on. It went away when it was fully released. As for the foot operated release. That's a new thing for the 2014s.

There should be a dash warning. I get it every time I use the Parking brake.

I only get a couple of feet before I can feel the truck being held back, all the while the light on the dash is going off.