Parking my new 2015 for 45 days - what to disconnect?

Hello,

Just took delivery of a new GMC Sierra 2500. I have to park it for 45 days at a storage place while I vacation. Worried that the batteries will be dead when I return as I know there is some security stuff that runs all the time.

I appear to have two batteries...should I disconnect them while I am parked? One of them? None?

I never worried about this with my old 2000...but it was not as sophisticated.

Thanks

Rob

I'd be more worried about fuel than batteries.

Gas, I'd run it close to empty as I could, and try to run a tank of non ethanol gas if there's a place selling nearby or some stabil in the last tank of gas.

Diesel, I'd run some biocide through the last tank and still run it as close to empty as possible.

I'd strongly suggest that you place the vehicle in transport mode. I don't recall the exact steps, but it is in the owners manual and it is very simple. Most late model vehicles will flatten a battery in less than three weeks, if left unused. This will absolutely save you a headache. The comment above on fuel is spot on too. A few dryer sheets will go a long way if there is the possibility of rodents near the vehicle.

Even at 30mA parasitic draw (my 2011 reading) 45 days will deplete about 32 Ahr from the battery which is significant. It will probably start fine but anytime a automotive battery sets with depleted charge, the lifespan is shortened. I would unhook the battery or better yet, use a battery tender.

Archived