Are 2014 OE 20" Chrome wheels PVD chrome?

I was wondering what the chrome on the factory wheels are. I know they are not the chrome clad junk anymore. Anyone know if they are regular chrome plated aluminum or chrome PVD?

Hard to answer when we don't know wtf PDV means. sfbsd.

From AutoAnything.com... "PVD stands for Physical Vapor Deposition. It is a chrome-like powder-coat that offers the same shiny appearance as chrome, without the common downsides."

Looks just like chrome, but doesn't flake, pit, peel, corrode, bubble, deteriorate, blister, discolor, or any of the other common maladies of chrome plating.

The best characteristic of PVD coated wheels is that they can be run in winter months, even with snow, salt, etc., with no harm to the wheel finish at all.

Thanks. I looked it up and found the information. The process seems to have been developed in 1966. I built custom motorcycles for years and had a lot of chrome work done. I had never hard the term PVD. don't imagine most others here had either. It frustrates me when people shorten things to just initials.When referring to the term IRA do they me a guerilla army or retirement account. A explanation of the term would have been helpful.

\\anks. I looked it up and found the information. The process seems to have been developed in 1966. I built custom motorcycles for years and had a lot of chrome work done. I had never hard the term PVD. don't imagine most others here had either. It frustrates me when people shorten things to just initials.When referring to the term IRA do they me a guerilla army or retirement account. A explanation of the term would have been helpful.

Acronyms have taken over the world!!! :lol:

• 1 year later...

From AutoAnything.com... "PVD stands for Physical Vapor Deposition. It is a chrome-like powder-coat that offers the same shiny appearance as chrome, without the common downsides."

Looks just like chrome, but doesn't flake, pit, peel, corrode, bubble, deteriorate, blister, discolor, or any of the other common maladies of chrome plating.

The best characteristic of PVD coated wheels is that they can be run in winter months, even with snow, salt, etc., with no harm to the wheel finish at all.

Hey Luster, did you run your wheels in the winter time? How did they hold up last winter?

Hey Luster, did you run your wheels in the winter time? How did they hold up last winter?

No. I had a set of Tahoe wheels/tires that I ran in winter. I gave them to my son and bought these... still need to get tires before winter.

20150701_133420.jpeg

I've had many vehicles with chrome wheels that I ran all year round. For "factory" chrome wheels, I'd say it takes 3-4 winters before the road salt starts to show it's damage.

With aftermarket chrome, usually by the 2nd winter you can see pitting.

This PVD stuff looks like chrome and guaranteed not to pit or peel. :thumbs:

Thanks for the quick reply, OEwheelsLLC has the SEY's back in stock and I'm really on the fence to order them and put them on now. I might as well wait until spring to get a set. Thanks for the info!

Your truck looks awesome by the way!

Archived