Squeak Noise V4 to V8, (It can't just be me?)

So my second GM 2014 Sierra has the same issue as the first one. The exhaust baffle gets stuck and then the pressure forces the valve open and causes a dry socket squeak.

Some noted interior noise, I initially thought the same thing till I realized (and the dealer) it only happened when going from V4 to V8.

So my last truck had 5 exhaust systems (2 damaged upon shipment), this new truck now has had the exhaust replaced and is now doing it again.

Took it back to the dealer and going for a ride tomorrow with a few GM reps. Last week after it was repaired a GM rep went with me also.

So I ask myself, that is 6 exhaust systems, two different trucks. How the heck is this just me? Or do most not notice, listen to loud radios or is it really just me.

Please reply if you truck underneath squeaks going from V4 to V8. I have also noticed very poor migration from 4 to 8 if you don't correct the issue.

Thoughts???

I haven't heard it. 11000 total miles between two '14 Silverado's. If you search the exhaust section of the forums, you can see that a bolt can be put in the valve to hold it open. Then it should make the noise.

Yep, mine squeaks too, and has for the last ~8000 miles. I haven't had the time to bring it in yet though. As stated above, some have clamped the valve open to stop the squeak.

Clamped open with a hose clamp and no notice ~6k miles now. I know we shouldn't have to do this but there's no fix and a 15 suburban I rode in last week squeaked with 200 miles on it... Clamp it and don't waste any of your time @ the dealer
  • Like 1

I spent an hour or so at the dealership today with a service manager, two field techs and a customer service rep. Long story short they bolted it open until they get a resolution on the problem. They thought they had it, then not. They agreed to replace the exhaust once the issue was resolved regardless of where the mileage is at on the truck for warranty. The issue now is there is a drone noise if your putting around in 4. Much better than a squeaky tow. They acknowledged that I am not the only one, there are several out there.

I just had mine in yesterday for this annoying issue. Head service guy hasn't heard of this problem and said he would contact me once he hears back from Gm

My last truck didn't do it (14 as well)

Edited by snarkee

• 1 year later...

I spent an hour or so at the dealership today with a service manager, two field techs and a customer service rep. Long story short they bolted it open until they get a resolution on the problem. They thought they had it, then not. They agreed to replace the exhaust once the issue was resolved regardless of where the mileage is at on the truck for warranty. The issue now is there is a drone noise if your putting around in 4. Much better than a squeaky tow. They acknowledged that I am not the only one, there are several out there.

My 2014 Silverado LT started making the noise a few months back. I took it to the dealer and they said this is normal. Did your experience with the dealer and all of the reps come up with a legitimate fix a couple years back? Is it still working?

its not just you, a lot of people have the problem but only true truck guys will care about it. I put a hose clamp on it to hold it open. didnt even bother to bring it up with the dealer. waste of time in my opinion.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...