5.3 Oil Pressure at WOT

Quick question, when you lay into the throttle and run through the gears with the throttle wide open does the oil pressure gauge move past 40?

The reason I ask is because I had the mass air flow sensor replaced because it was reading "too high". It was causing the fans to come on high and the oil pressure to jump. The fans no longer come on however during wot runs I can't remember if I saw it ever move.

Thanks!

Should be normal.

The 4.3L (L83), 5.3L (L86), 6.2L (LV3) engines are equipped with a two stage oil pump.

The oil pressure gauge jumping three times is caused by a test routine the engine goes through during the first few minutes of driving to insure that both stages are operable.

The oil pressure gauge going to 60 lb. over 3700 RPM, is the calibrated engine speed the oil pump goes into the high pressure stage.

This is normal operation for these engines.

Okay, what about if it goes into 70 nearly 80?

When the oil is not fully warmed up I see this as being possible (when RPM's are high enough for the oil pump to be in the 2nd stage of higher pressure). When my engine is cold, at idle it will be at about 40 PSI. This is where is usually is at when fully warmed up and at cruising RPM's. When oil is at operating temperature, idle pressure will be around 30 PSI.

I have been monitoring oil temperature with my ScanGauge. Unless I'm towing, oil temps usually match engine water temp (about 206°F to 209°F). Usually takes at least 10 minutes of highway driving for the oil temp to reach this once engine coolant reaches its operating temp. I have noticed the higher RPM, the higher the oil temp. For example I was going 65 MPH in 6th gear. OIl temps around 204°F. If i dropped down to 4th gear, oil temps rose to around 230°F even though engine temp stayed the same. When towing my boat (no more than 2500 lbs), oil temps will be about 10°F-15°F higher compared to not towing.

When the oil is not fully warmed up I see this as being possible (when RPM's are high enough for the oil pump to be in the 2nd stage of higher pressure). When my engine is cold, at idle it will be at about 40 PSI. This is where is usually is at when fully warmed up and at cruising RPM's. When oil is at operating temperature, idle pressure will be around 30 PSI.

I'll have to take note again once the oil is warmed up. The engine was up to temp but I had only been driving about 10 min Max. The pressure gauge was moving pretty easily and that was what I don't recall it ever doing. Then again I never watched the gauge when I was accelerating that hard.

I'm running a little over 40 psi going down the highway. When I punch it it pegs out at 80 psi.

2014 5.3L. Is this normal?

Yep!

Advanced Oiling System

The oiling system on the new engines incorporates a new variable displace- ment two-stage vane-type oil pump that enables more efficient oil delivery, based on operating conditions.

Its dual-pressure control enables opera- tion at a very efficient oil pressure at lower RPM,

and then delivers higher pressure at higher engine speeds.

An oil control solenoid valve, con- trolled by the ECM, mounted to the oil pump provides two-stage functionality. The oil pump is mounted on the front of the engine block and driven directly by the crankshaft sprocket.

An oil passage at camshaft bear-

ing location permits oil flow into the center of the camshaft. Oil enters the camshaft, exiting at the front and into the camshaft position (CMP) actuator solenoid valve. The CMP valve spool position is controlled by the ECM and CMP magnet. When commanded by the ECM, the CMP magnet repositions the CMP actuator solenoid valve spool directing pressurized oil into the CMP actuator to control valve timing.

Oil pressure gauge needle oscilla- tion will occur due to the two-stage oil pump self-test. The ECM will perform a functionality test of the two-stage

oil pump after a cold soak, when the engine is first started and the vehicle is driven.

This functionality test will occur three times in a short time span and can be observed on the oil pressure gauge as a brief increase (spike) in the oil pressure gauge needle. Additionally, at 3,500 RPM or greater, the two-stage oil pump switches over to high stage and the oil pressure gauge needle will move to the high position.

Edit: http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/TechConnect_SepOct_2013.pdf

Edited by 14LTZZ71
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...

im going to ask a stupid question , i already know my oil pressure sensor is gone because the gauge is pegged and the truck was put on a scanner today and that is what it stated .,. my question is if my truck has an oil cooler which it does , when i have checked my oil after running it the last few days i was able to actually touch the oil dip stick bare handed ,is it even possible that the cooler is cooling it that cool . i have a 06 silverado 2500 hd

im going to ask a stupid question , i already know my oil pressure sensor is gone because the gauge is pegged and the truck was put on a scanner today and that is what it stated .,. my question is if my truck has an oil cooler which it does , when i have checked my oil after running it the last few days i was able to actually touch the oil dip stick bare handed ,is it even possible that the cooler is cooling it that cool . i have a 06 silverado 2500 hd

and yes it was running for a while before i shut it down

and yes it was running for a while before i shut it down

you should be able to "touch" the dipstick and not burn yourself but you shouldn't be able to hold onto the tip of the dipstick for too long as that would prob burn your fingers. so to answer you questions, no your oil cooler does not keep your oil that cool.