Frame Rust Build Date 12/13 ?

Below are several photos of the frame and suspension of my new 2014 Silverado Crew Cab with a build date of 12/13, purchased 6/9/14. Should a new truck have rust showing already?? Anyone else seeing the same thing? Am I being ridiculous? Anyone got a quick fix? I was thinking a using a wire wheel and some black spray paint.

photo4_zpse0fc2a31.jpgphoto3_zpsca6c648f.jpgphoto2_zps83e20f40.jpgphoto1_zps858dd398.jpgphoto5_zps364868f1.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My truck build in August of 2013 has some similar spots. To me they arent worth taking tot he deather for a fix. I might do what jeffsig did and hit them with some black bedliner spray

Yep I have the same spots. Build date 9/13, purchased 2/14. It's complete and utter bulls***t that a new truck (even SITTING ON THE LOT) has rust on it if you ask me. But with that being said, I think it will only be a cosmetic issue going forward. I did take mine in to get fixed and here's what I learned:

1) There is a recall out on this issue and they can use your VIN number to check if your truck is included or not. By the looks of your truck, it looks EXACTLY like mine and my truck was NOT included with this recall. The dealer did claim they "pushed my truck through under the recall anyway." But they didn't do a great job at all. Read #2 and #3 below.

2) Those that have gotten the official recall repair done have had their truck in the shop for a few days and the dealer does an extensive process of removing the existing peeling wax and re-coating the frame with a special 2 part coating system that looks like the original factory wax coating.

3) In my case, the dealer kept the truck for 1 day and sprayed some 3M rubber coating crap on the frame that looks and feels nothing like the original wax coating.

Newer trucks built in Spring 2014 and on have had this problem corrected and the factory coating is much better and thicker. Guys like us are basically screwed and stuck with rust spots on our frame. At this point I've decided I don't care anymore. I'm getting rid of this truck shortly after it's paid off which will be long before any rust becomes a structural issue.

This is ridiculous anyway, how long have auto manufactures been putting undercoat on the frames of automobiles? This is very amateur on GMs part.

Knowing that the undercoat was flaking off the frames GM continued to use them anyways instead of correcting the problem. Now they expect dealerships to effectively strip and reapply undercoating, really...... To do this correctly my frame would have to be removed completely, there is no way that they can reach all of the bad spots on my truck without removing the engine, bed, etc...etc.. I hate bashing GM but lately they seem to be asking for it.

This picture is just a sample of what I'm talking about.

post-127588-0-05985400-1406652959_thumb.jpg

This is ridiculous anyway, how long have auto manufactures been putting undercoat on the frames of automobiles? This is very amateur on GMs part.

Knowing that the undercoat was flaking off the frames GM continued to use them anyways instead of correcting the problem. Now they expect dealerships to effectively strip and reapply undercoating, really...... To do this correctly my frame would have to be removed completely, there is no way that they can reach all of the bad spots on my truck without removing the engine, bed, etc...etc.. I hate bashing GM but lately they seem to be asking for it.

This picture is just a sample of what I'm talking about.

GM just doesn't make the quality product that they used to make. There really isn't much left to say about it. It is what it is.

My frame is coated with a thick grease type shit. I mean thick. I put my reciever hitch on this past weekend and that crap was smashing out from between the hitch and the frame. I didn't notice any rust spots while I was under there, but I didn't look over every square inch of the frame. If I did and it was in an accessible spot, I'd probably hit with some wd40, a wire brush, and then paint it with black grill paint or something equivalent. I don't think it could rust enough to hurt the integrity of the frame for as long as I own it, so no sweat.

My frame is coated with a thick grease type shit. I mean thick. I put my reciever hitch on this past weekend and that crap was smashing out from between the hitch and the frame. I didn't notice any rust spots while I was under there, but I didn't look over every square inch of the frame. If I did and it was in an accessible spot, I'd probably hit with some wd40, a wire brush, and then paint it with black grill paint or something equivalent. I don't think it could rust enough to hurt the integrity of the frame for as long as I own it, so no sweat.

It will take some years to actually effect the structural integrity of the frame, I get that.

But it just looks like shit (yes you can see it without getting under the truck so don't go there) and I would at least, at a minimum, like to be able to get a couple years out of the factory undercoat, otherwise what's the point of applying it.

This goes straight to the heart of the mentality of the current GM executive, just let all the defects thru the assembly line and we'll deal with them later, we are giving the customer a warranty.

WELL GUESS WHAT, I DONT WANT TO BE SITTING AT THE DEALERSHIP EVERY COUPLE WEEKS GETTING WARRANTY WORK DONE FOR THE NEXT 3YEARS JUST BECAUSE THEY LET CRAP GO DOWN THE ASSEMBLY LINE TO SAVE MONEY, HELL CHARGE ME MORE THEN, BUT AT LEAST GET THE SMALL STUFF THAT YOU HAVE BEEN DOING FOR YEARS RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

Yes, I am yelling, sorry guys but damn. It must be the Soldier in me but if you have been doing it for years and can do it right the first time, and your calling it the final product (undercoating) then just don't do it at all. Just paint it with matte black paint.

It will take some years to actually effect the structural integrity of the frame, I get that.

But it just looks like shit (yes you can see it without getting under the truck so don't go there) and I would at least, at a minimum, like to be able to get a couple years out of the factory undercoat, otherwise what's the point of applying it.

This goes straight to the heart of the mentality of the current GM executive, just let all the defects thru the assembly line and we'll deal with them later, we are giving the customer a warranty.

WELL GUESS WHAT, I DONT WANT TO BE SITTING AT THE DEALERSHIP EVERY COUPLE WEEKS GETTING WARRANTY WORK DONE FOR THE NEXT 3YEARS JUST BECAUSE THEY LET CRAP GO DOWN THE ASSEMBLY LINE TO SAVE MONEY, HELL CHARGE ME MORE THEN, BUT AT LEAST GET THE SMALL STUFF THAT YOU HAVE BEEN DOING FOR YEARS RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

Yes, I am yelling, sorry guys but damn. It must be the Soldier in me but if you have been doing it for years and can do it right the first time, and your calling it the final product (undercoating) then just don't do it at all. Just paint it with matte black paint.

We should get way more than a couple years. My 2007 silverado had zero rust issues with the frame coating. My dad's 2004 suburban's frame looks better and has less rust than my 2014 Silverado.

Again, GM just doesn't make the same quality product that they used to.

And I completely agree. The shit that they've been doing for YEARS like the wax coating on the frame should be the last thing I have trouble with on a brand new truck. But they switched wax coating vendors to save a few bucks (while simultaneously charging more for these trucks let's not forget) and we're stuck with the crap end of the deal.

Alright. Didn't mean to step on any toes with my post.

Its not you, I am just frustrated with the issues I am having with this vehicle, the undercoat is one of the lesser issues right now, but none-the-less it is an issue that upsets me.

I don't think I'll ever get rid of my High Country, seeing as how it seems to be one of the few trucks on this site that is completely flawless. Maybe I should get some lottery tickets and rub them on the dash? I hope GM gets you guys' trucks fixed, no way a brand new truck should have rust already.

What's amateurish about being cheap, raising prices through the roof and still being able to find buyers for such trucks? Sounds like they are professionals.

Archived