Miss in #5 cylinder.

Have a vin code J engine. The one that goes v8 to v4. Got a check engine light. Got the codes read, had a miss fire #3 and #5. Replaced 8 sparkplugs and the two coil packs. No more check engine light, but now still have a miss fire on #5. If you let it set at idle like at a light, the traction control, and stabiltrack goes off. You can at times make it come back on by revving the motor to about 1500. What my truck to be normal again. Also removed the drivers side head, found a brunt valve in #5. Replaced the valve still same problem. Only have 64K on a 2007 LT. I am out of what to do.

I'd have it looked at, these new engines are issue prone due to the displacement management. You can disable the function through tuning, but that probably won't do much to help your current issue.

I guess a stuck lifter on the intake side could cause a lean misfire, and burn a valve. You would likely have rough idle to go with it though. I'd say take it somewhere and have them troubleshoot. Injector, lifters, valves, ignition, possibilities are endless. A good shop will save you time and money as opposed to throwing parts at it.

• 2 months later...

If you let it set at idle like at a light, the traction control, and stabiltrack goes off.

I had this happen on a 2007 LC9 motor right after the dealer had replaced the heads & valves for oil consumption. I took a look, and found that one of the plug wires had popped off, so I shoved it back on, and have had no problems since.

FC

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking about fixing it on by myself. New injector in #5 sill a miss. Shut the AFM (DOD) off still has the problem. Thinking about new lifters and cam. No AFM lifters at all. Would I need to change the valley plate on top of the engine? Becuse it has the solenoids that control the lifter oil. And what else might I have to change.

While I respect those who want to do things on their own, you may end up nickle and diming yourself to death trying to figure this out. Might be best to take it into a shop that has the right diagnostic equipment.

Thinking about fixing it on by myself. New injector in #5 sill a miss. Shut the AFM (DOD) off still has the problem. Thinking about new lifters and cam. No AFM lifters at all. Would I need to change the valley plate on top of the engine? Becuse it has the solenoids that control the lifter oil. And what else might I have to change.

To mechanically deal with the AFM:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cmb-09-0026

but I'd get a cam as well.

Took the truck to a dealer, here in town. $90.00 later three loose plug wires low compression on #5. Possible internal engine problem. Was told could be bad ring. Which lifter is the AFM one intake or exhaust? Becuse it sounds like a tump it does it three or four times then, the traction control and stabilitrack turns off. But rev it up to 1500 rpm the warning goes away. At that point the oil pressure hits 40+ pounds. That is what makes me think lifter issue. Any thoughts?

• 2 months later...

Archived