Purolator Oil Filters

I've been using Purolators for a long time, they were considered a premium filter for a long time...even when Fram tanked. They were a preferred filter on the Cummins...ran probably a hundred of them while I owned several Cummins. I recently read a thread on BITOG about a problem with torn pleats in Purolator filters...kinda disheartening, I have several stocked for each of my three cars.

Fast forward to last weekend, truck was at 2% olm remaining, so I changed it. The oil was a dark honey color, at nearly 7500 miles, it looked good. For giggles, I broke out my oil filter cutter (yeah, there is such a thing) and proceded to find my filter media compromised in two places near to the seam, like they stressed the pleats too much (the same complaint on BITOG). I had one Wix XP for the truck, that I then dropped on the ground and dented. So the truck sits with another Purolator filter for the time being...

I just bought some Napa Platinums for the truck and some Golds for the car (last I knew Napa filters were still made by Wix). I'm going to replace the new Purolator with a Napa when I get home (truck has zero miles on it because I'm traveling).

I took a UOA of the oil just to see what it looked like...unrelated to the filter. I thought I would just throw this out there so owners know.

I just did an oil change on my 2011 that had a pureone on it last week. 5000 Miles. I cut the filter open and it was pristine inside. Nothing torn or out of place.

I wouldn't stress about using a purolator to much, the people on BITOG are stupidly OCD when it comes to oil and filters. I saw the tears they posted on BITOG and while it does suck, it's not a catastrophic failure like they make it out to be.

Yes Napa filters are still made by WIX.

• 1 month later...

Purolator filters are great filters and I use them a lot. That being said, I usually just use the Purolator classic filters as a cheap, easy to find filter that I get from wal-mart. I do like the pure1 filters grippy can and silicone gaskets but the filter media is a little bit too jam packed into the filter. The pleats tend to be uneven and poorly glued into the cage which can cause them to tear off or become dislodged inside the filter. I have cut a lot of filters up over the years and seen these problems the most with the very high efficiency type filters. The Purolator pure1 being one of the worst, again due to how much media they try to pack into the cage of the filter. I also don't like how thin and flexy the Purolator filter cans tend to be.

I mostly use Napa Gold (Wix) filters for everything now. Their filters are very well made inside and out, are easily available at any Napa nationwide and go on sale for $5 a few times a year at Napa. All of the Wix filters I have cut open have perfect pleating and perfect glue jobs. I also notice that the Wix filters seem to have a thicker, stronger can that is much harder to crush than the Purolator filters do. A few years back, I made a post on Bobistheoilguy about the PF-48 filter choices and cut them up and inspected them. The Napa gold was the overall best looking filter in terms of quality inside and out. I can dig through BITOG and post a link if you guys want.

I should have noted, the top sample (latest) is of Schaefer 5w30 series 9000 while the second one (older) is Mobil1 EP 5w30. All of the wear metals have dropped as should be expected between a partically new engine at 8k miles and a broke in engine at 42k.

And following on the high copper, Schaefer is known to leach copper for internals...if I changed brands, the copper would probably drop to normal levels. I saw the copper spike in my Cummins when I changed also.

OP was your filter a PureONE or a Premium Plus (Classic)? I've been using the Purolator PureONE for years now. I believe the construction is superior to the Premium Plus and it doesn't cost that much more.

Lou

PureOne...their top filter. Sad thing is, I ran the PureOne on my Wife's FXT and it was fine.

Archived