WIFI hotspot

Has anyone tried this on their new trucks? I just ordered the wireless interface network module to activate this function, but I am still not sure it is available in Canada. Just curious if anyone has used it and if it is helpful or a waste of time?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

My wife loves the feature. Now she can be on Social Media and never have issues connecting..

I have the WiFi and it works. Of course, I don't generally sit in my truck and use the internet . .. so it's definitely not something I will be paying for once my Onstar is up.

I'll be picking my new Denali up next week and I'm kinda curious about this "feature". Being a geek, I'd rather all of my networks be secured. Does the truck give you a way to lock the wireless network down as well as change the SSID? Or is it all set from the factory and that's all ya get?

Does the truck give you a way to lock the wireless network down as well as change the SSID? Or is it all set from the factory and that's all ya get?

Looks like I answered my own question by hunting around on YouTube. GM sets the SSID and password from the factory, and you can apparently change those using the OnStar app on you iPhone (or by calling OnStar).

Has anyone tried this on their new trucks? I just ordered the wireless interface network module to activate this function, but I am still not sure it is available in Canada. Just curious if anyone has used it and if it is helpful or a waste of time?

Do you have a part number for the wifi module? I'd like to order one for my 2015 2500.

• 1 year later...

When the dealer does your Onstar set up with you, they ask you what you want to call it and what you want your password to be . .. that's all I know as I try to avoid technology, haha.

I'll be picking my new Denali up next week and I'm kinda curious about this "feature". Being a geek, I'd rather all of my networks be secured. Does the truck give you a way to lock the wireless network down as well as change the SSID? Or is it all set from the factory and that's all ya get?

When I got my truck, it was already programmed with SSID and password, just had to dig through MyLink to find the password.

Wife and kids loved having it, during our free trial period. When I looked into keeping it and what all restrictions were with it, my wife and decided "HELL NO!!!" We will just live with having to deal with the dead spots with our phones.

yeah i tried it and it works pretty good. I think the Onstar 4G will be used in USA first before it gets to Canada.

4G is all over Canada this was one of the reason they shut down the old 2G network as they rolled it to 4G IE used the frequencies.

That is why they had to upgrade all of the Canadian Onstar units.

The hot spot works good. I don't keep it up all year around but I pay for enough to use when we go camping.

So is the module something that has to be purchased separately? I don't pick my new truck up till next week, but I thought this was something that was included in all 2016 on star GMs. Also, I'm about to move to Alaska so would it even be worth it? Is there a data limit?

Disregard, I looked at their website. Only looks like it'd be helpful where I can't get an AT&T signal on my Phone. Are the data plans reasonable? I don't have an OnStar account yet so I couldn't see the plans.

Disregard, I looked at their website. Only looks like it'd be helpful where I can't get an AT&T signal on my Phone. Are the data plans reasonable? I don't have an OnStar account yet so I couldn't see the plans.

You can add the truck to your AT&T share plan for the same price as another phone sharing your plan. I think it's $10. Also the truck is supposed to have better signal strength that a phone. I will be tying it in a few months when my truck arrives...

Archived