Removing Front Turn Signal Lens

I had given some thought to removing my amber reflectors when I was going to open my lights for new projectors. After researching the NHTSA website, I found that it's an equipment requirement to have an amber reflector meeting a specific standard and of a minimum size. So it's not just about having an amber turn signal.

The side reflector is a safety feature, and like seatbelts and all other safety requirements put out by DOT, it was likely driven to law by stacks of bodies.

Then I started thinking about all the times I located my truck after dark while hunting, by seeing the reflectors with a flashlight.

My reflectors are staying.

I posted this just for information so people doing this mod go in knowing. I have off-road lights on my truck that aren't legal for highway use. So my nose isn't bugger free.

What started me looking into it was that I thought about putting in a clear reflector with an orange bulb. I looked up the regulations and read about the reflector spec.

My understanding is that you could still comply with a "cleared" headlight assembly by installing an amber DOT approved reflector somewhere near the front of the truck. It can also be DOT reflector tape. It could be mounted way down low along the bumper or even on the fender trim, but at least 15" from the ground. You get the idea. So at least guys that do the mod and say they get a fix-it ticket, they can do a quick fix without buying headlights, etc.

Trailer supply retailers sell all kinds of DOT approved reflectors.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights/Optronics/RE10AB.html

What started me looking into it was that I thought about putting in a clear reflector with an orange bulb. I looked up the regulations and read about the reflector spec.

My understanding is that you could still comply with a "cleared" headlight assembly by installing an amber DOT approved reflector somewhere near the front of the truck. It can also be DOT reflector tape. It could be mounted way down low along the bumper or even on the fender trim, but at least 15" from the ground. You get the idea. So at least guys that do the mod and say they get a fix-it ticket, they can do a quick fix without buying headlights, etc.

Trailer supply retailers sell all kinds of DOT approved reflectors.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights/Optronics/RE10AB.html

Good tip about the reflective tape. Especially if you get a fix it ticket.

If I were "clearing" my lights, I'd definitely put a clear Fresnel lens in place of the amber. It'll make the assembly look more OEM like and magnify the bulb effectiveness.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived