'14 Silverado Dummy Wiring behind Headlamp 4x4 Switches

I pulled off my drivers side cover where the knobs for the headlights and 4x4 come out.. I unplugged all the connectors behind them and saw that there was a 3rd "dummy" switch that was pushed into a box that had no pins in it. I have a little cut hole for cell phone holder, etc... Can anyone tell me what the harness might be for?? Possibly the +/- Tow gadget that some trucks came with?? Take a look and see if you have the same thing! Take 5 seconds to pop off.

Sounds like the trailer brake controller. For $230.00, it's the best value available...if you tow a trailer, it will incorporate the factory sway control into the trailer brakes too, which is not possible with an aftermarket brake controller.

Sounds like the trailer brake controller. For $230.00, it's the best value available...if you tow a trailer, it will incorporate the factory sway control into the trailer brakes too, which is not possible with an aftermarket brake controller.

You CANT add the factory trailer brake controller to the truck, already been tried and not possible. There is another component missing and the BCM has to be programmed which the dealer is not able to do

If the truck did not come with the factory trailer brake controller then the only other option you have is 3rd party.

You CANT add the factory trailer brake controller to the truck, already been tried and not possible. There is another component missing and the BCM has to be programmed which the dealer is not able to do

If the truck did not come with the factory trailer brake controller then the only other option you have is 3rd party.

Sure. The extra pigtail is still probably for the trailer brake controller.

sounds like its for OEM trailer brake control, however i dont think you can get it to work.

if you do please let me know.

Positive, it can not be done. The wiring harness used in the trucks is the same across the board so some of the pig tails are in the harness but un-used. You will be missing the module in the rear of the truck under the bed, all of the wiring and the most important part the BCM programming which the dealer will not be able to do as each truck is programmed by the trucks VIN # when it is input into the GM global system.

On this new platform the dealer cant use another vehicles VIN as the check and balances process will stop the upgrade. Dealer can only flash your trucks modules with the calibration GM has on file for your particular vehicle.

Archived