Remember the days when?

dntlkbak

How many people remember the days when our Chev & GM trucks had names and not just some stupid random letters to distinguish the different levels of luxury. If you drove a Silverado you had the top of the line Chevy under that was the Cheyenne and the bottom trim level for Chev was the Custom Deluxe or the Sierra Classic was the top of the line GM, then I think it went to the Sierra Grande? I know Iam missing some levels here. Anyway it was unique and seperated the different trucks easily, also gave you a little pride in being able to say that you drove a Silverado or Sierra classic.

I remember them well. I drove a 73 Cheyenne standard cab (that's all there really was), short bed, 4x4 (solid front axle). For the last year or so, it was turbocharged. Fun days.

I drove a 79 GMC Cabelero (El Camino) from 1980 until 1999. I had 3 different engines (305, 400, 327), 2 transmissions (350 & 400 TH), 3 paint jobs (2 black, 1 white), 2 interiors, 2 dashboards, etc., in that old thing. It was the only car I ever did body work on and painted. It was really a nice paint job too. I surprised myself, I coulda been a body and paint man. I virtually took that thing down to the bones at least once. I drove that thing nearly half a million miles and went thru several girlfriends and countless dates. Ah the memories. :pimp:

But, todays vehicles are so much more sophisticated and higher quality built. But along with that comes complexity. Still, people driving todays stuff are driving much better stuff.

Archived