6.0 vs Dmax General Performance

New here and about to upgrade my DD work truck. Since there is no more 8 foot bed on a half ton platform (unless reg cab, not good for me) I'm replacing this one with a 2500HD (which I like better and have another one of anyway). Going crew cab, 8 foot, 4WD with all the works. Last thing to decide on is engine. Cost not being an issue, and towing not being an issue, what do you guys feel about the "all around" performance of these two engines? I mean stop light to stop light, highway on ramps etc. I really don't need the Dmax, but the 6.0 does not really seem to put up impressive numbers in the low end. My truck wont really see heavy loads, more large loads like plywood, 2x4s etc., but it usually gets driven home empty.

For comparison, right now Ive been driving a half/ton 2WD ext cab with a 5.3 (2003), which I never really liked, but came out of my fleet and ended up in my hands. The only thing this truck has going for it is its pretty quick (about 4500 lbs curb).

My other 2500HD is a '98 with the good old 454. Nothing like off the line torque. I have various other trucks in my fleet but these are the ones I drive most often.

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would test drive both.. I went from gas half tons to a duramax and wouldn't go back I love the duramax... Awesome to drive and decent on fuel. Way more enjoyable to drive then the old 6.0. A duramax will be a lot more expensive but it will hold it's value a lot better

I actully did but hard to get a good feelon a test drive. Thing is I don't want to floor a truck with three miles on the clock.

I wouldn't even think about that. I think most brands now a days do first time start ups and run them thru their paces. I remember years ago when I visited the Dodge Viper plant, a brand New one that was just done came off the end of the assembly, was started up, and put on a dynometer. They ran that SOB so high the side exhaust pipes where cherry red !! I asked the Engineer showing us around why they would do such a thing. His simple answer was : if it's going to go boom, better to do it here, than in a customer's hand".

To this day, every vehicle I drive, I drive it like I'm going to from day one. When I get my truck in, there will not be a "break in period" for it. I'm going to drive it my "normal" way from the first time on.

On a side note, if money is no worry, get the Duramax ! That raw torque at 1600 RPM's is just awesome!!

The 6.0 in the 2500 is not the Direct Injected but is still a great engine. That said it has exactly HALF the torque of the Dmax. 380 ft lbs vs 765.

Thye 6.0 LS based engine is a great engine. A breeze to maintain. I get 15-16 mpg on my 2015 Dmax around town. 21 on Highway.

The new 6.2 Direct injected engine in the 1500 has 455 ft.lbs thats as much as the old 8.1 gas.

The Dmax is quiet- oil changes are costly and DEF are needed. Its a tossup- which do you want?

Avalon

Unloaded the 6.0 and Duramax have plenty of power, either one will sneak up to 85mph on the freeway if you're not paying attention. The 6.0 doesn't put up impressive low end numbers and the heavy handed torque management can give it a lack luster feel off of the line, but that doesn't mean it drives like a 3 cylinder Geo Metro.

If you like the low end torque of the 454 the Duramax would be a better choice. Performance wise the 6.0 isn't that far off from the 454, the 6.0 will need 750-1000 more revs to do it.

If cost isn't an issue I would get the Duramax, unless you do lots of short trip driving or spend a lot of time off road on mud or sand. Short trips and diesel emission equipment isn't a winning combination, and off road the 2500 is a already a fat bloated pig and 850lbs of extra engine and transmission don't help.

Most trips about 15 miles in stop and go traffic (about 30-45 minutes to drive those 15 miles)

The emission equipment on the dmax is really my only concern. Even with warranty, I want the truck in my driveway ready to go not at the dealers. I know the 6.0 is reliable as the sun and any issues I can usually take care of myself.

My 454 peaks 410 ft lbs at about 2k. It is a torque monster. The 6.0 seams to have that peak closer to 4k and it really needs to develop it while the L29 454 is pretty flat across the board.

Guess the big question here might be how good is the post 11 emission equipment on the dmax.

The emission equipment isn't as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be, not to mention tuning and deleting the truck would make the truck drive 10 times better and get you better MPG's. Driving a duramax is nothing like driving a 6.0

Check out pickuptrucks.com, they recently did a HD comparison between the GM, Ford and Ram and also compared the gas engines to the diesels in various test empty driving mileage and loaded. Surprisingly the gas engines are almost getting the same mileage. The 2015 6.0L should feel the same or even better than the 454 because of the 6 speed low first gear.

Which is the old version you are speaking of?

LOL I assumed the 2500 had the new direct injection. My bad, I will return to the 1/2 ton section where I actually have a clue.

LOL I assumed the 2500 had the new direct injection. My bad, I will return to the 1/2 ton section where I actually have a clue.

The 6.0 has VVT, but the 6.2 DI engine is not yet available in the 2500. If it was I would have seriously considered it. It;s a corvette engine essentially with tuning for a truck.

Avalon

The 6.0 has VVT, but the 6.2 DI engine is not yet available in the 2500. If it was I would have seriously considered it. It;s a corvette engine essentially with tuning for a truck.

Avalon

Speaking from a 2012 2500HD, the 6.0l HDs do not have VVT. That's a 1500 thing.

From Chevy website- Vortec® 6.0L Variable Valve Timing V8 SFI engine 2WD Duramax® 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8 engine 2WD Fuel Type Gas/Ethanol V8 Turbocharged Diesel V8

Displacement (liters/cu. in.) 6.0L/366 6.6L/403

6-speed automatic heavy-duty transmission Standard N/A Allison 1000 6-speed automatic transmission N/A Standard

Horsepower @ RPM 360 @ 5400 397 @ 3000

Torque @ RPM 380 @ 4200 765 @ 1600

Fuel Injection Electronic Fuel Injection Direct Injection

I think the VVT was added after 2012.

Archived