burning oil 2014

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the oil was changed did they add the full 8.5 quarts or could they only have filled it with 6 like the old 5.3? Just wondering out loud here.

When the oil was changed did they add the full 8.5 quarts or could they only have filled it with 6 like the old 5.3? Just wondering out loud here.

That' a definite possibility.

OP check your service papers, see if they have how many quarts they listed on the last oil change they did.

I had two trucks and one car with similar oil problems. First one was a used 94 Z28 one quart every 2500 miles from 10k miles to 130k when I sold it. Never any other problem except I had to put new cats on at 60K. Next was a 1999 Ford 150- 4.6 engine same one quart every 2500 miles dealer said was with in range. At 20k put Vortec S/C on it traded at 110k no problems. Last and worse bought on ebay 1992 super clean hot rod p/u 383, whipple all the goodies 3 years ago. One quart every 500 miles, no smoke no plugs no problems put 10k miles on it so far cant believe it. Your lucky they didn't fill it and said drive it to see how much oil it consumes. If it falls within their specs and later blows from being run low on oil its on you. It use to say in the manuals to check oil every gas fill up, so that would be every 3 to 400 miles.

• 3 weeks later...

I see GM is still doing the band aid solution. I had my 11 Chevy Silverado and at 42k replaced piston rings, etc. Brutal.

I haven't heard of any major epidemic of these new engines consuming oil, yet. Hopefully it stays that way and this was just an eff-up by some tech at the dealer.

I was driving my 2014 Sierra today and just about a block away from the dealership where I bought it the low oil warning came on - I did a WTF!? And pulled into the dealership where they checked the oil and determined it was down 3 quarts. I am 6,000 miles between oil changes (ironically, I was going to sch'd an apt. for a change today) with roughly 16,000 miles on the truck. The guy at the dealership informed me that GM considers 1 quart per thousand miles acceptable (he does not). They topped off the oil and I sch'd an apt. to have the oil changed and the truck checked out next week. Needless to say, I'm not feeling good about this...

So i got my truck back a few weeks ago. It seems to be running fine. They repaced the valve lifter oil manifold, intake gasket, valve cover gasket, pvc, and some of he spark plugs since they were burning oil. the technician figured the cylinders were fine since it was such a new truck. I am still worried that when the truck has 80 plus thousand miles in the future that the rings and cylinder will fail from this

Unfortunately, I have no choice but to drive it, as my job depends on it. I have read elsewhere that GM has a design flaw with that automatic valve shut off and that it's a problem in all their vehicles with that system and what you're describing sounds like the issue. They've had 3 or 4 recalls on this truck already but not for something this substantial....

• 2 years later...

Archived