burning oil 2014

How is the warning light triggered? Is it LOW oil pressure sensor or is it simply an oil level indicator? Low Oil pressure is obviously a much more serious problem than just a low fluid level. These new GM ecotech engines appear to hold 8+ quarts of oil. Maybe they all actually do burn a good bit of oil and the larger capacity just cleverly disguises that fact............................ I got to go. I have to move my truck to a level spot and check the oil Level - RIGHT NOW haha

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am in the same boat with my 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3. It is burning 3/4 to a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so, it just turned over 22000 miles last month.

Has cylinder deactivation been left on the entire time?

I have 24k miles on mine and I lose less than 1/2 quart over 6k miles. Cylinder deactivation has been off since 1500 miles. Some of the oil volume loss is due to 0w20's tendency to vaporize.

How is the warning light triggered? Is it LOW oil pressure sensor or is it simply an oil level indicator? Low Oil pressure is obviously a much more serious problem than just a low fluid level. These new GM ecotech engines appear to hold 8+ quarts of oil. Maybe they all actually do burn a good bit of oil and the larger capacity just cleverly disguises that fact............................ I got to go. I have to move my truck to a level spot and check the oil Level - RIGHT NOW haha

The larger capacity over the previous generation was to in fact dilute the oil contamination from GDI operations and cover the 7,500 mile oil interval.........and maybe mask a little bit too! It is getting to point where it's so thin you can't even read it anymore...

It is still on because it is under warranty still. I do know that is part of the problem. I have also seen my gas mileage take a hit too. I do have it leveled with 33 inch tires, but that should not cause me to get only 10 to 11mpg on the highway.

as I asked before have you been using cylinder deactivation this entire time?

I do have the cylinder deactivation on since it is still under warranty. As of today I have been 1300 miles and gone through 2 quarts of oil, I have spoken to the dealership and they are discussing if they are going to rebuild the motor or put in a new one. I am pushing only for a new motor and to have my warranty extended.

I do have the cylinder deactivation on since it is still under warranty. As of today I have been 1300 miles and gone through 2 quarts of oil, I have spoken to the dealership and they are discussing if they are going to rebuild the motor or put in a new one. I am pushing only for a new motor and to have my warranty extended.

That is crazy? I would demand a new engine something is not correct!

It is still on because it is under warranty still. I do know that is part of the problem. I have also seen my gas mileage take a hit too. I do have it leveled with 33 inch tires, but that should not cause me to get only 10 to 11mpg on the highway.

Driving in M5 disables cylinder deactivation without voiding warranty, as does a Range AFM Disabler.

There's a possibility that the engine may have a piston ring problem. Dealer should replace rings, covered by warranty. If they fix the problem, TURN OFF AFM!

Today they took my truck to run some more test such as, seeing if there was oil in the PVC, throttle body and what not. Of course there was and they want to rebuild the engine instead of putting a new one in. My big concern is they won't extend my warranty after they do this work which seems super fishy too me. Hey will will rebuild your engine and keep doing it till your warranty is out, is what I feel like they are doing.

Is there anything I can do about this? Help please

Archived