2004 Sierra blend and mode actuator problems

Recently pulled my driver side blend door actuator because getting randomly switched to hot. First tried running it without that actuator in there at all and while I was doing so and turned fan up to 4 air started coming through defrost vents in addition to front vents (was set for front vents). Hot air problem was not solved with no actuator so I installed a new blend door actuator (at least I think I did, it was the one to the right of steering column just above a floor vent on driver side). Hot air issue appears resolved but now turning knob to change which vents are active has no effect at all, always get a mix of front vents and defrost vents. Thoughts?

A re-calibration may fix you up. Try disconnecting the battery for
a few minutes. Reconnect it. Or remove the HVAC/ECAS fuse for a minimum of 10 seconds.

Re-install the HVAC/ECAS fuse.

Then turn the key to the on position, but
don't start. Don't touch the HVAC controls. Let them do whatever that
want to do. Air flow may change outlet points during this time. Wait
about 1 minute. Turn key off. Sometimes opening and closing the door can
make a difference as the vehicle controls see this as "cycle"
completion. Next start the vehicle and drive it a short distance and see
how it performs.

Will try some of those finer points of calibrating. I did already do the HVAC/ECAS removal with key in on position after the blend door actuator install and that didn't do it for the mode issues.

Correction to original post: when driving home tonight I tried changing modes between floor, front, and defrost and I did hear some helpless clicking coming from under the dash on the driver side so we can probably eliminate the control panel.

Tried your version of the cal procedure and it did not resolve. Then I decided to see if the noise I was hearing was coming from the install I just did. It is. When I change the vent mode I see the big plastic taco shaped disk moving where I put in the new actuator. Did I unwittingly install a new blend motor actuator in place of the mode actuator? I also saw that when that disk moves all the way toward the front of the vehicle it is rubbing the cable that goes to the actuator. Bonus.

Have had blend motor actuator problem in 04 Sierra where suddenly turns hot until I cycle the engine. Thought I had read on other forum that driver side blend motor actuator is above foot vent on driver side to the right of the steering column. So I replaced that only to discover that was apparently the mode actuator. Now when I change modes I see the big half moon shaped piece under the mode actuator rotate but it doesn't actually change the modes. So I have two questios: Where is the driver side blend motor really located? And how do I fix the mode actuator I screwed up? Any help is much appreciated.

I had to have my blend door actuator replaced under warranty on my 2004 Silverado. It was only the drivers side one. The stupid things always made clicking noises, but with that one exception they never failed to work okey.

Archived