What are good 4L60e tips for long life?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keeping the fluid level full and routinely changed. If you tow/haul, make sure you have a trans cooler. Also be sure you don't lug the engine/trans when tow/hauling, this will only build up heat and shorten trans life. Keep up with all maintenance of the vehicle, lubes, greases, brakes, tires, anything that could put more load on engine/transmission.

Would 30 rolls every few days hurt it if the fluid is good and i have a trans cooler and increased shift line pressure?

I dont tow or haul, but what are some things that will cause heat?

Would 30 rolls every few days hurt it if the fluid is good and i have a trans cooler and increased shift line pressure?

I dont tow or haul, but what are some things that will cause heat?

I apologize but what do you mean "30 rolls every few days"? The big thing that cause heat is towing and hauling, and if you allow the engine to lug (too high of a gear for the load) it will only add more heat in the trans.

Everything hurts a 4L60E. You start the truck you hurt it. upgrade the cooler and perform proper maintenance. If you hit 100k, it is runningnon borrowed time

I apologize but what do you mean "30 rolls every few days"? The big thing that cause heat is towing and hauling, and if you allow the engine to lug (too high of a gear for the load) it will only add more heat in the trans.

Doing a wide open throttle at 30

Probably not doing your trans any favors but not the most terrible thing you can do as the torque management in the trans will "soften" the hit a little bit. Now if you have the means, you can get a black bear tune they can really help with trans shifting and handling that should also extend the life of your trans.

Probably not doing your trans any favors but not the most terrible thing you can do as the torque management in the trans will "soften" the hit a little bit. Now if you have the means, you can get a black bear tune they can really help with trans shifting and handling that should also extend the life of your trans.

I had the in person tune done which really cleaned it up. I have my TM in normal driving with increased line pressure then in tow/haul i had 75% removed with line pressure increased. I always come to a complete stop between drive, park and reverse

I like to let the truck warm up a little when it's cold. Changing the fluid and filter helps too. A big one is if you're towing or going up a long grade or any condition where it's shifting all the time, pull it to 3rd gear and leave it there. It's easier on both the trans and motor. It will keep the trans cooler and most likely be better on fuel to boot. I use 3rd up and down mountains whenever I'm in CO. Another is like what you said, be completely stopped before shifting D to R or vice versa, and don't gas it before the transmission gets into gear.

115k on mine and no issues yet. We'll see how it holds up.

Just drive it. Some will last forever, some won't

I agree with that.. No reason to over think the life of the trans. My dad had a 4l60 that be babied and it completely blew at 110k. I had a 4l60 that I beat the shit out of and drove it to 150k and it was fine

From what I've seen and read about these 4L60E's it would seem they like to be driven, not necessarily too easy or harshly but just driven like you mean it. I highly doubt my occasional flooring it to pass the idiots on the highway is causing too serious of damage...except to the idiots pride anyway...lol

Archived