02 1500 Silverado LS - Issue w/ AC / Instrument Cluster

Hawkaida

Question

I have a problem with my AC cutting off, as well as my instrument cluster not working. I don't believe it is either of those, as I have found a loose connection near the interior fuse box. It seems wiggling one of those wires, gets both items to work again. I've asked about this at a dealership, and to me that seams like a total rip off - est. $550 for the Instrument panel, and another $500 for the AC blower motor.

Any ideas what I can do?

2 answers to this question

Why not just follow that wire through the harness and look for a loose connection, or the wire being broken inside the insulation. That part will happen if the wire is exposed to constant bending back and forth, like the wires that go from chassis to inside a door.

If you feel it is impossible to do, then you have pretty much got the answer to why the estimate is so high. It is virtually impossible to give an accurate estimate on wiring issues. Even the manufacturers will list the job in the warranty time listing as straight time.

If moving the wire around makes it work, then you have either a loose ground or power connect at fuse panel, or a break in the wire inside the insulation. Since it is affecting the a/c and dash, I would look at grounds first, then look for broken wire. One of murphy's laws is that connection issues in wiring diagrams are located at the other end of what you started at.

Archived