Pulling Experience, 2014 6.2 vs 6.6 diesel in a towing / Daily driver

OmahaBen

I put roughly 5000-7500 miles per year with a side business I run.

I use the vehicle to commute to my daily job and pull. Currently a 2004 Silverado 1500 5.3 is what does the job.

However since I daily drive at least 65% of the time I want something that gets pretty good mileage when not pulling. 19 Miles each way 38 miles per day. Mixed City/Hwy

The two trailers I pull are bumper hitch and weigh roughly 3000lbs and 6000lbs. I don't pull the 6000 as much since we got the newer 3000lb trailer unit.

Even with my current 5.3 and the 3000lb load pulling, the truck is always downshifting to go up a small grade, overpasses on interstate. It is annoying

The cost of the diesel truck and maintainance (Oil changes and Fuel Filters) and increase fuel cost and lessor mileage. These are steering me away from a 3/4 ton.

The 1500 sierra 6.2 will get better mileage, at least while not towing, smoother ride, smaller form factor, weighs less and cost at least 6-7K less.

I don't want to spend the money on a 6.2 and find it isn't much better than the 5.3 and is shifting all the time. If that is the case I may need to rethink my plan.

I really only want one vehicle. By the time you license and insure two vehicles (ie a car and truck), unless they are both old beaters the cost savings on fuel is almost a wash.

What would you suggest? Opinions and Experience please.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out the towing section of the forum. I have towed with my truck 5.3 with a camper trailer that was about 7-8k. Old school camper trailer all steel construction. I also carried about 2.5k of tile and grout in the bed (probably should not have) and it sagged a bit, and downshifted on heavy grades but still handled a lot better than my 2004 5.3 silverado. I did not have a problem. The trucks are also six speeds, but the new eight speed transmission is supposed to come out next year. So you may find that a non-issue for shifting. I also came from the same truck you have now. I traded way way up in my opinion and I towed everything with that truck. I would take this one over that one any day. I also hear the 6.2 has even less of a problem towing. My buddies all have the new diesel or the old one. That is pulling power and then some, but unless your hauling much more than what you’re saying, then I would just go with the 6.2 with the new eight speed transmission...I wish I would have held out a little longer and made that my choice but realistically you won’t know until you drive them how much better they feel to you. Happy hunting.

I just saw that about the 8 speed. Concerns me buying the first year out though. Kind of concerns me about the first year with direct injection and the 2014 sierra also.

So maybe wait until the 2015s are out and see where I am at.

I like the idea of the 6.2 vs the duramax. I just want something that does everything very well and that is always hard.

I just saw that about the 8 speed. Concerns me buying the first year out though. Kind of concerns me about the first year with direct injection and the 2014 sierra also.

So maybe wait until the 2015s are out and see where I am at.

I like the idea of the 6.2 vs the duramax. I just want something that does everything very well and that is always hard.

the 2015 will be the first year for the 8 speed transmissions. So if you get a 14 its the first year for the new motors with DI, and if you get a 15 its the first year for the 8 speed.

I went from a '09 with the 5.3 to a '14 with the 6.2. Difference, WOW. The '09 would kick down a lot towing, and empty holding its speed over the slightest grade. The 6.2 never downshifts holding its speed. Granted I'm not towing a 6,000lb trailer, but the difference in my opinion, after driving both is day,, and night. Well worth the $$$

There is very noticable power difference between the 5.3 vs 6.2, having said that both gas engines are rev happy. I've had my 2013 Denali loaded up with glass shelving probably grossing over 3000lb plus two other passengers going through up the Cajon pass, even with the 6.2 I had to take if off the O/D, really pulls hard 3500rpm range and above.

Last week I test drove 2015 2500HD Denali/Diesel, truck felt heavy and the Diesel engine isn't as responsive as the 6.2 at least from light to light and in stop and go traffic.But I have no doubt that it will do a much better job with heavy loads compare to the gas motor. I just could't justefy upgrading to a HD with the limited amount of towing I'm doing.

There is very noticable power difference between the 5.3 vs 6.2, having said that both gas engines are rev happy. I've had my 2013 Denali loaded up with glass shelving probably grossing over 3000lb plus two other passengers going through up the Cajon pass, even with the 6.2 I had to take if off the O/D, really pulls hard 3500rpm range and above.

Last week I test drove 2015 2500HD Denali/Diesel, truck felt heavy and the Diesel engine isn't as responsive as the 6.2 at least from light to light and in stop and go traffic.But I have no doubt that it will do a much better job with heavy loads compare to the gas motor. I just could't justefy upgrading to a HD with the limited amount of towing I'm doing.

Thanks for the input. I don't like the rev happy statement. It is annoying.

Thanks for the input. I don't like the rev happy statement. It is annoying.

LOL, don't be. Cajon pass is probably a 6% grade for 4-5mi stretch, take if off O/D drop it down to 4th, 6.2L is happy to maintain 70mph right at 3-3.5K RPM. I don't think other then a diesel or an ECO Boost there is anything else out there that can better it.

Kind of a broad comparison, a diesel is for towing...and tbh if you use it like a grocery getter with the emissions crap still intact and don't work it real well on a weekly basis it will get plugged up and you'll be having issues.

BUT if you're towing any kind of REAL weight their will be no comparison. Anything over 8-10k, the 6.2 wouldn't hold a candle to a Duramax in a real rough and tough towing situation. Which is expected, and why it's more expensive...

This question you asking us is pretty much self explanatory, are you gonna tow a lot of weight frequently? Are you gonna work the diesel like it should? Can you afford the extra expense?

Lots of guys say "oh I owned a diesel once, nothing but problems" but they drove it back and forth to a grocery store. You have to remember they LIKE to be worked, and worked hard. If you don't, you'll have issues especially these new emissions riddled units that are sold these days.

That being said I'm sure a 6.2 would be a much better DD choice, lighter, cheaper, cheaper maintenance and a lot better to drive around a city.

LOL, don't be. Cajon pass is probably a 6% grade for 4-5mi stretch, take if off O/D drop it down to 4th, 6.2L is happy to maintain 70mph right at 3-3.5K RPM. I don't think other then a diesel or an ECO Boost there is anything else out there that can better it.

I wan't saying you are annoying. I just can't stand when the transmission has to downshift to allow the engine to make the hill. Agreed a diesel would be great probably won't go that route.

Kind of a broad comparison, a diesel is for towing...and tbh if you use it like a grocery getter with the emissions crap still intact and don't work it real well on a weekly basis it will get plugged up and you'll be having issues.

BUT if you're towing any kind of REAL weight their will be no comparison. Anything over 8-10k, the 6.2 wouldn't hold a candle to a Duramax in a real rough and tough towing situation. Which is expected, and why it's more expensive...

This question you asking us is pretty much self explanatory, are you gonna tow a lot of weight frequently? Are you gonna work the diesel like it should? Can you afford the extra expense?

Lots of guys say "oh I owned a diesel once, nothing but problems" but they drove it back and forth to a grocery store. You have to remember they LIKE to be worked, and worked hard. If you don't, you'll have issues especially these new emissions riddled units that are sold these days.

That being said I'm sure a 6.2 would be a much better DD choice, lighter, cheaper, cheaper maintenance and a lot better to drive around a city.

I am trying to find a swiss army knife that does it all. Tow 5000 miles per year and yet take the family and daily drive to work. It is hard to find one unit that will do all of the above great. The 6.2 is probably the best option. I totally agree the big diesel is not the way to go for me as the initial cost and maintaence is too high.

There is no doubt that I would still like the diesel though in some situations.

All I can say is that towing with an HD diesel is way better then towing with any gasser.. I don't tow extremely heavy loads but I tow quite a few toys and my flatbed trailer every so often I wouldn't want it any other way.. I had 1500's for years and they would sag and struggle even with 2 ATV's on it. I'll give up the better ride of a half ton for the capacity

All I can say is that towing with an HD diesel is way better then towing with any gasser.. I don't tow extremely heavy loads but I tow quite a few toys and my flatbed trailer every so often I wouldn't want it any other way.. I had 1500's for years and they would sag and struggle even with 2 ATV's on it. I'll give up the better ride of a half ton for the capacity

I towed the 32 foot bumper pull thru the mountains last year, cruise set @ 70 passin unloaded cars up 6% and 7% grades with a full slip tank in the back and a dirt bike [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

And still gettin around 12-13mpg [emoji110]

I am trying to find a swiss army knife that does it all. Tow 5000 miles per year and yet take the family and daily drive to work. It is hard to find one unit that will do all of the above great. The 6.2 is probably the best option. I totally agree the big diesel is not the way to go for me as the initial cost and maintaence is too high.

There is no doubt that I would still like the diesel though in some situations.

How much weight?

Archived