Gasoline smell in cabin and engine.

I bought a 2014 GMC sierra a week ago and have been noticing a gas smell since the first day I bought it. The smell is inside the cabin and engine bay. It's really noticeable when I turn the A/C on and come to a stop. Has anybody experienced this issue? I need to take it in tomorrow. I first thought it was just the engine breaking in but not anymore. I lifted up the hood today after a 30 mile drive and it smelled of pure gasoline. This can't be normal right?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are sure you smell gasoline odor, do not drive the truck!

Call dealer they will have it picked up by road serviced and have it fixed.

Todays systems, do not allow you to smell gasoline, this could be a direct inject issue not safe to drive.

Ask for a complete inspection, and a written repair explanation what went wrong.

Not normal at all. As others have said, do not drive the truck, do not power it on, do not even insert the key into the ignition. Call your dealer and get it towed in for service.

If you smell gas in the engine bay you are ripe for a fire.

Well I took it to the dealer right now. I drove it there since the tow company would have taken too long plus I needed a rental car for work. I took along a family member to see if they noticed the smell inside the cabin and they instantly did. As soon I parked in the service area the worker instantly said the same thing, that it smelled of pure gasoline outside. Another issue was the truck was having a hard time starting. It was cranking for a long time especially with the remote start. I guess that's also related to the fuel pump regulator they said. He told me that there was a recall for 2014 fuel regulators and some needed to be replaced. My vehicle's vin didn't show that mine was one of the effected vehicles so I'm guess GM didn't make a complete list of the effected vehicles. I now have a rental car for the next few days until my truck get's repaired.

I'll be honest and say this sucks. Spending 50k on a truck then having it back at the dealer a week later is never a good feeling.

The dealer hasn't even been able to look at it. Driving a rental car sucks. No one has experienced this before with their new truck that got it repaired already?

Glad I found this post as I thought I was going nuts. I too have the gas smell inside the cabin mostly when the a/c is running. It is a raw gas smell not fumes from other vehicles. If I turn of the system, most of the smell goes away. It just started a couple of weeks ago and have had the truck since December. I have not had it to the dealer yet, but now I know I am not the only one with that issue I will be taking it there too. Please keep me updated.

I'll be honest and say this sucks. Spending 50k on a truck then having it back at the dealer a week later is never a good feeling.

Agreed. But a new vehicle is a very complex machine. We're lucky they are overall pretty dang good. Unfortunately some small number are real problem cases. How about those airlines having just spent a couple hundred million on a 787 only to have it grounded?

Get it checked asap,

Unless you want to gamble a major fire, remember the transmission oil line fire!

That was oil fire truck gone in minutes, imagine how fast gas would go up and burn.

Any smell of raw fuel is not right in todays vehicles, this is a closed sealed system from gasoline odor.

Well I got a call from the dealer, they said it wasn't the fuel pump regulator. They said it was a o-ring on a injector that didn't get seated properly and caused a small leak. It should be fixed by later today.

So the o-ring on injector 8 was the bad one. They said I was losing gas because of it. Thats what caused the hard starting and gas smell. I'm just glad my truck never caught fire or caused any injury to me or my family! I asked the dealer if they could top off my tank since I had been losing gas the whole time to see what they said and the worker told me they didn't have a pump to do that. And when I got there, there was a fuel pump 25 feet behind his desk. When I told him there was a fuel pump right behind him, he just looked over and smiled. I would have preferred a simple no instead of being lied to but oh well. I'm glad to have my truck back. Those 5 days to do a simple o-ring sucked.

Goodluck cansled and I hope your vehicle gets fixed!

• 1 month later...

Well go into my truck today after using remote start and I smelled gas through the vents. The truck only has 1200 miles on it, and this is my SECOND 2014 Sierra 1500 since February. The other was a buy back for the vibration. I am officially done with GM. I would like one of their peeps reading these posts to contact me. I have been nothing but loyal for 30 years and I they have managed to piss me off to the point that I am willing to through it all away. I can't drive the truck this weekend and now have to wait until Monday to get it to the dealer and hope they can fix it. So disgusted with GM right now.

Well go into my truck today after using remote start and I smelled gas through the vents. The truck only has 1200 miles on it, and this is my SECOND 2014 Sierra 1500 since February. The other was a buy back for the vibration. I am officially done with GM. I would like one of their peeps reading these posts to contact me. I have been nothing but loyal for 30 years and I they have managed to piss me off to the point that I am willing to through it all away. I can't drive the truck this weekend and now have to wait until Monday to get it to the dealer and hope they can fix it. So disgusted with GM right now.

Pedro forgot to tighten one of the fuel line clamps. Relax.

This would be a good time to start smoking!

If you catch this gas smell leak with my spent cigarette.

Gm would have to do some explaining why my ytruck caught fire!

A lot of people need to cut there losses and stop feeling so loyal to GM, they are not the same company that cared about your truck 7 years ago, infact they have been lying to everyone and our safety meant very little to them, as we can now see with all the deaths resulting from key cylinder issues.

Shop wisely and make your self happy you deserve it, don't feel guilty of your past loyalty with Gm, as they don't mind telling you lies and screwing you over now.

Archived