2014 Sierria - The first two weeks

Last week I posted in the poll about the "Is the 2014 Silverado/Sierra a "buy" given the recent problems" thread and a couple people messaged me about the outcome of my predicament. So I'll share my experience so far.

I traded my 2012 GMC Sierra in on a 2014 Sierra. I was tired of the carbon black metalic and I liked the new body style and the bronze color, so I decided it was time. As I was taking my stuff out of my old truck I couldn't help but wonder if I should just keep it, after all, I had absolutely ZERO problems with this truck and it only had 37,000 miles on it, but I pulled the trigger.

The day after I brought the new truck home I got an e-mail from OnStar alerting me to a recall that needed addressed. Uh-oh. I needed to take my second set of keys to the old truck back to the dealer anyway, so I called to let them know I would like this issue taken care of while I was there. The 15 minute fix turned into an hour, but after that I was on my way. My initial thoughts on this truck are that this is a very nice vehicle. I do troll this forum daily and I was aware that their have been some issues with the trucks, but, it could never happen to me... Right?

The only issue I even wondered about was that after the truck had sat for a while, it took longer to start than what I consider "normal". Interesting. Last Saturday I started out to work at 06:45 and shortly after I got on Interstate 70 I experienced a very rough "clunk" at highway speed and shortly afterward the "check engine" light came on. I continued on toward my destination and after about eight miles the truck died. DEAD. I drifted off to the side of the freeway and tried to restart the truck. It acted like it was out of fuel. Like it wanted to start but wouldn't. So I pushed the Blue OnStar button and waited. After a short wait (longer than I would expect) an agent answered and I gave her my information and explained my situation. She said she would then connect me to GM Roadside Assistance. After a VERY LONG wait, they answered and I had to give them all the details of the situation again. She then put me on hold while she said she would try to arange a tow truck. After a few minutes I thought it would be nessessary to alert my job that I was stranded and I had no idea what the outcome of this would be or what time I would make it. I used my cell phone to make this call. After I hung up with work, I noticed I had voice mail on the cell phone (still on hold with GM Roadside Assistance via OnStar). I got the message and it was GM Roadside Assistance asking if I still needed assistance, because they were having trouble finding a tow truck. If I still needed help, please call them back.

I hung up the OnStar connection and called back. I got back intouch with GM Roadside Assistance and she looked up my issue and said they were having trouble finding a tow truck. At this point I have been on the side of the road and on the phone with them for 40 minutes. Back on hold I went.

I was angry to no end at this point. Not only is my brand new truck disabled on the side of the highway, but OnStar and GM Roadside assistance seem to be the most incompetitant bunch of idiots on this planet. They simply can't do the job they are in business to provide. I called AAA and they said they would send a tow truck and would text me when they were enroute. AAA had a tow truck there within 20 minutes.

AAA towed my brand new truck back to the dealer and I called them to make them aware of the situation. The girl who answered the phone acted concerned and said she would have a loaner car waiting when we arrived. I must say, I actually LIKE the dealership and most of its people. Chesrown GMC in Deleaware, Ohio. It is very hard to be upset with them. This is not their fault. True to her word, the weekend cashier had a loaner car waiting for me and Service checked me in very quickly after she set me up with the loaner.

The dealership fixed the truck by the end of the day on Monday and said that it was bent pins and a "block not properly locked down" from the factory. I picked up the truck on Tuesday. Nice cashier wasn't there, but replaced by someone who probably had problems with her broom on the way to work... Just saying.

The truck runs well and the slow starting is now gone... Interesting.

So now I need documintation for my employer as to what happened and when, while I was on my way to work last Saturday. I contacted OnStar and they said someone would call me back. I contacted AAA and was transfered to a supervisor who made a screen capture of the transcript and e-mailed it to me. I still needed to account for the first 40 minutes of my situation so I gave OnStar a day to respond. After a day I called OnStar back and got put through to a supervisor. She was able to give me a case number and said I started the call at 07:01 a.m. She would forward my request for a transcript to someone else. Wednesday I got an e-mail from OnStar directing me to a website where I could follow the directions and after I provide a subpoena, I might get the information I need for my employer.... This company is completely enept.

"

Subject: Request for OnStar Service and/or Account Records

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is in response to your recent request for information about an OnStar service event and/or account records pertaining to an OnStar equipped vehicle.

OnStar customer service records, to include audio[1][1] and/or general account information, can only be provided upon receipt of a subpoena, court order, or other proper court issued document[2][2] that specifically identifies the records/service information being sought[3][3]. In the subpoena, identify the date and time of the occurrence(s), a description of the service, and/or account records being sought. One or more of the following is required in the subpoena to locate an OnStar account to search our service records:

1. Vehicle Identification Number, to include year, make, model.

2. Subscribers full name and mailing address to include zip code.

3. Home phone number on file.

4. OnStar Account Number.

5. OnStar Hands Free Calling (HFC) Number.

6. Request to Identify an OnStar Good Samaritan will require the date of the call, and the OnStar case number provided to 9-1-1 dispatch by OnStar at the time of the call.

These documents must be served upon OnStar LLC through our registered agent Corporation Service Company. You can obtain your state’s Corporation Service Company local address by calling 888-690-2882. Address the subpoena TO: OnStar LLC, and mail the document to the address provided by Corporation Service Company.[i.e. To: OnStar LLC, C/O Corporation Service Company, address provided by Corporation Service Company.] There is no fee associated with submitting your subpoena through Corporation Service Company.

A description of all available OnStar services can be located on our website at www.onstar.com. We have also attached a description of our system limitations for your review prior to submitting your subpoena as OnStar may not have the information you are seeking. We will respond to your request upon receipt and review of the appropriate documents.

Sincerely,

Clark Paull

Discovery & Litigation Support

313-665-7454

[1][1] OnStar does not create or provide transcripts of audio recordings. OnStar cannot guarantee that an audio recording was taken at the time of a call or that a call can be retrieved and restored from our archives. OnStar maintains audio for 90 days from the date of the call.

[2][2] If you are unable to submit a subpoena at this time, OnStar will preserve the audio and/or records, if made and available, upon written request.

[3][3] For all civil matters, per our privacy statement, we require either documentation of our subscribers consent and/or documentation of Notice of Discovery to obtain their records. NOTE: OnStar is not governed by HIPPA or FOIA.

So now as you can see, OnStar has dropped the ball again. Now, can someone explain why ANYONE would use this service, let alone pay for it? I have been a paying customer for three years just to keep my cell phone app working... That is now free for five years, so there is no chance in hell I'll pay onstar a dime after this trial is up.

post-50808-0-07694200-1408900577_thumb.jpg

Your employee doesn't trust you to tell the truth? Do you have a habit of calling in to miss work? If not, it sounds like Onstar isn't the only thing you can do without. If I was broke down and my employer wanted proof that I was really broke down, I would be looking for a new job.

Your employee doesn't trust you to tell the truth? Do you have a habit of calling in to miss work? If not, it sounds like Onstar isn't the only thing you can do without. If I was broke down and my employer wanted proof that I was really broke down, I would be looking for a new job.

I hate to say this, but as a Human Resources Manager, this. And Onstar has been abysmal for me too....a month or so ago while looking for an entrance to the PA Turnpike in Central PA, I was sent to the turnpike. Well, to a turnpike overpass that is. yes, that right. There I was in the pouring rain "at my destination" on a little bridge looking down at the turnpike.

Thanks Onstar. Saying goodbye to it the second my subscription is up......

"I picked up the truck on Tuesday. Nice cashier wasn't there, but replaced by someone who probably had problems with her broom on the way to work... Just saying." :lol:

Crap Bro, sorry to hear about your bad experiences with OnStar and your new truck. I've never been a fan of OnStar. Several years ago I bought cell phone minutes with my credit card and then after the free trial period was up, they kept charging my card for services. I had to call OnStar and my credit card company several times to get it stopped. When I bought my 2014 they called repeatedly to sign me for cell phone minutes, but I didn't bite.

How are things with the new truck now?

"I picked up the truck on Tuesday. Nice cashier wasn't there, but replaced by someone who probably had problems with her broom on the way to work... Just saying." :lol:

Crap Bro, sorry to hear about your bad experiences with OnStar and your new truck. I've never been a fan of OnStar. Several years ago I bought cell phone minutes with my credit card and then after the free trial period was up, they kept charging my card for services. I had to call OnStar and my credit card company several times to get it stopped. When I bought my 2014 they called repeatedly to sign me for cell phone minutes, but I didn't bite.

How are things with the new truck now?

That is the only reason I won't pay for Onstar or XM Sirius, You are automatically billed and it's about impossible to get the billing stopped.

Hi zephyr,

I am happy to hear that your vehicle is working as it should. I understand that you had a rocky start with your new truck and I am sorry to hear that. Please keep us updated and your vehicle situation and feel free to contact us anytime if you have any lingering questions or concerns.

Jennifer T.

GM Customer Care

That is a bummer indeed.. makes you feel like you made a mistake on trading in i'm sure. I'm curious to know a little more about what the problem was. Hopefully no more issues and you can really enjoy the 14 from here on out!

Actually, RVJ, many employers are getting to be like this when it comes to attendance. I work for CSX as a locomotive engineer. It's not a job you can just pick up and move on from after 17 years. It's also a union job so the relationship between employee and employer is even more adversarial than it migh be at Wendy's which causes both sides to want to document everything and punish anyone who makes a mistake or has a problem... It's just the way big corporations do things now...

That is a bummer indeed.. makes you feel like you made a mistake on trading in i'm sure. I'm curious to know a little more about what the problem was. Hopefully no more issues and you can really enjoy the 14 from here on out!

Dave,

Here is what the service order looked like... It almost could be French because it is quite difficult to understand. Whatever they did, the truck seems to be OK. It will take a while for me to really trust it, but it's still a rather nice truck... Knock on wood....

post-50808-0-00941100-1408826856_thumb.jpg

I have owned my 2014 GMC Sierra SLT for 60 days, more or less. I have experienced 3 recalls but so far no breakdowns. I have received 5 calls from OnStar and after questioning the salespersons concluded that either they have little knowledge of their product or could not care less about customers. I had, I thought several simple questions: since I had navigation built in, what would be the need or advantage of Onstar turn by turn , secondly , would hey work independently of each other. Each time a call was received from OnStar, it was a different salesperson attempting to get me to purchase beyond the trial period. From what I have read here, I think that I will pass for the time.

Actually, RVJ, many employers are getting to be like this when it comes to attendance. I work for CSX as a locomotive engineer. It's not a job you can just pick up and move on from after 17 years. It's also a union job so the relationship between employee and employer is even more adversarial than it migh be at Wendy's which causes both sides to want to document everything and punish anyone who makes a mistake or has a problem... It's just the way big corporations do things now...

I agree that you can't just flush 17 years away like that. I did work for a union in the early 80's and It was nightmare. Seems like it was always them against us.

Hope they got your truck right and that you can enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Sorry hear all the trouble. I've never cared for On Star. Seems super antiqued to be "patched" through to a person so they could help me with directions. Almost feels like calling 411. Doesn't bode well that the friggin engine block wasn't secured properly at the factory. I'd think most of that stuff is automated these days or at least they use torque wrenches...

Sorry hear all the trouble. I've never cared for On Star. Seems super antiqued to be "patched" through to a person so they could help me with directions. Almost feels like calling 411. Doesn't bode well that the friggin engine block wasn't secured properly at the factory. I'd think most of that stuff is automated these days or at least they use torque wrenches...

I agree the nav service is sorta redundant, especially if you have the GPS option. I just pay the $20/month plan for emergency response.

Fun story though-

When I first got this truck, I got the 6 months or whatever of the directions plan. I was showing my mom how it worked and while still on with the OnStar advisor she leaned over some (now being directly under the overhead Onstar mic) and asked in a not-so-quiet voice "Mike, is that a real person?". There was this awkward silence for a moment then the guy says, "Yes ma'am I'm a real person.". I really hope that was recorded and is now used for some sort of training. :lol:

Archived