Fuel Injection Cleaning

gmyeah

Question

I have a 2008 sierra z71 ext cab with 89K on it. I've been good about keeping on needed maintenance (rear diff, front diff, transfer case, transmission flush) now that the truck has a few miles on it, but I'm not really buying the idea about the fuel injection cleaning. I've heard the dealer hooks up a system the will clean the injectors, fuel rails....basically the whole fuel system, but is it really needed if you're vehicle is running good. I know it's all about preventative maintenance, but this one seem a little weird. Of course the dealer charges $150 for this service. Would I be best served just using a bottle of SeaFoam?

3 answers to this question

I have a 2008 sierra z71 ext cab with 89K on it. I've been good about keeping on needed maintenance (rear diff, front diff, transfer case, transmission flush) now that the truck has a few miles on it, but I'm not really buying the idea about the fuel injection cleaning. I've heard the dealer hooks up a system the will clean the injectors, fuel rails....basically the whole fuel system, but is it really needed if you're vehicle is running good. I know it's all about preventative maintenance, but this one seem a little weird. Of course the dealer charges $150 for this service. Would I be best served just using a bottle of SeaFoam?

Don't see how it can be considered "preventative maintenance". The injector cleaning service can clean the system, but does not prevent it from getting dirty. I have sat through many demonstrations from the chemical clearer/additive distributors and am always amazed that these sales guys can actually stand there and believe the sounds they make.

As others have said, if you are happy with the running of the engine, and are happy with your mileage, don't bother dropping the $150. Nothing worse than paying for something , and not even noticing a difference beyond the thinner wallet.

Archived