The pass cv boot ripped on my 08 silverado. grease went all over. i see the speedi-boot from dorman on rockauto's site. would anyone recommend that? Should i be concerned about the joint at all? I dont want to remove the axle if i dont have to. I will if i have to, but would rather not.

Okay so follow up questions.

Should i change the hub while im there, dealer did the driver side when that boot ripped.

Do i need to get acdelco original gm equipment? They have many options at rock auto.

Do i need any small parts that im going to run into while doing it?

I'd just replace the axle, its pretty quick and easy. The universal boots are crap, and the oe silicon boots are a real pain to get on; if you don't get the clamp just right, it'll come back apart soon enough. I've put on a bunch of axles of various brands and never had a comeback on a pickup, but if price were reasonably close I'd probably go with an OE model, or at least with a new rather than remanufactured.

There's no reason to replace the hub, unless it has play or bearing noise, and you usually don't have to remove it, or the caliper or brakes, to pull the axle.

Archived