5.7L vortec CFSI fuel meter body leaking at assembly cover

Halo8

Question

Hi, this problem started a week ago after my daughter put about 20 oz of water into my gas tank. I have done just about everything like additives, spark plugs, drained 5 gallons thru my fuel pump and also blew fuel filter out via fuel pressure relief valve with air. I have yet to check fuel pressure but I will hopefully tomorrow when I get a gauge. My fuel pump seems to work fine but I noticed a red seal that fits between the fuel sensor / meter body and the fuel meter assembly cover appears to have blown out and it is leaking gas from that red seal and the cover will not lock closed now. My question is: Can I just replace the the cover and the seal ? This SUV has 225,000 miles on it and has never given me any other problems til now :( Any answers will be greatly appreciated as this is my 1st post here, Thank You. P.S. I attempted to post this 2 hrs ago , not sure if in right place as I cannot seem to find that post now.

9 answers to this question

Part of wiring harness i would imagine. Did you say it is leaking fuel from the electrical connection of the fuel injector spider? Ive seen one do that before and it pushed fuel through the entire wiring harness. If so you need to replace both injectors and wiring harness asap.

Yes, it's leaking and appeared to be from very top at the red seal but when I detached this wiring harness cover off as you see in image there was a pool of about 2ml of fuel sitting inside the top of the fuel injection spider body and fuel pooling up inside where the fuel lines enter the spider system.. Can you explain by what you mean when you say both injectors and harness, are you saying the injectors or whole spider body system ? I am thinking this has been leaking for sometime now and maybe just became worse. If you click on the picture above to view better you can see the red seal has holes and cracks in it which is what made me think it was why its leaking. Also there the bolts and plate thing that holds down the 2 fuel lines (also in pic) that are severely corroded with rust I'm thinking they were damp with fuel seeping from the fuel body cover or red seal for years which seems dangerous. As I mention in a post above the cover doesn't seem to close all the way but when i pushed it closed as far as I could and placed a apx. 3/4" x 3" hard rubber block across the spider body cover then mounting down the Vortec cover on top of engine it held this block down in place and it appeared to slow or even stop the leaking while I ran a fuel pressure test and also for about 20 minutes after, up until I noticed a bad coolant loss pouring from front to back of engine began and shut it down and began tearing my engine apart to replace the lower intake manifold gaskets and the cause of this I believe was to much HEET dry gas and stupid me adding about 24 oz of denatured alcohol to about 20 gallons of gas which probably has 10%-%15 ethanol coming from gas stations. Ohh and yes this cover was leaking fuel way before I added any additives to my fuel. Thanks for responding, your input is needed and greatly appreciated as I do need to get to the bottom of this,

Part of wiring harness i would imagine. Did you say it is leaking fuel from the electrical connection of the fuel injector spider? Ive seen one do that before and it pushed fuel through the entire wiring harness. If so you need to replace both injectors and wiring harness asap.

If there is any fuel in the wiring connector cavity, the fuel is pushing its way through the wiring and you are sitting on a bomb. If so the entire injection spider should be replaced.

Big +1

UPDATE : I went to local GM Dealership and Parts stores, they could not even locate the red seal that I need. I checked fuel pressure and it seemed fine. I then cleaned throttle body then tried to reset ECM by battery disconect and got engine to fire up. The seal seems tighter now but is cracked and deteriorating I pounded on the cover to get it to seat better but it still doesn't latch down so I placed a block between the fuel meter assembly cover and Vortec air intake cover and bolted it down because the cover seems to open and leak fuel while the engine is running. It's running a little rough but it's 1st time it's ran in 2 weeks ( service engine soon light ) came on so I will check for codes tomorrow . Can anyone tell me where I can get this red or orange seal ? Name of seal would be great and a part # be even better. Maybe it comes in a kit but I spent 2 hrs this week at GM dealership staring at parts with parts person and couldn't see it on their computer search.

I posted this under "Ask the GM Technician" 2 weeks ago because this is something I already asked at dealership, I'm asking anyone now. If you know the name, part no. , kit # or any information on how i can locate to purchase the top red seal in the picture below please let me know. I know I can get the green which I can also use but, that's if I purchase a new fuel injection spider assembly but my injectors seem fine to me. Come on, somebody knows something and any ones help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Heres the picture and if you look past all that dirt on my engine you can see the much needed "RED SEAL" green be cool to have too. Thanks for reading.

post-133732-0-53079500-1410509867_thumb.jpg

Hello we are also having that same leak as Halo8. what causes the red gasket to fail and should gas be inside the injector body when the connection is lifted? This is on a 2000 escalade. we are at a loss to know what to do next! I wish I had more info on why the gas is leaking around the spider assembly, the gasket looks fine! Please any help will be greatly appreciated! if it is leaking will a new spider assembly keep it from leaking gas at connection?

Big +1

Wow ! SUV was running great when I turned key the off to begin disassembly for lower intake manifold gaskets I knew it was bad, but now I know how bad. Some spiders pretty reasonably priced on Ebay i see as low as $140. Out of curiousity i'm gonna poke around a little and try to phsically see whats making it leak, i'm r starting to think that because the harness connector won't seat so the cover can latch down may have something to do with something, lol reading that this CSFI system all parts can be replaced individually unlike the CPI systems if anything goes you have to replace entire unit. I agree that chances are good that this thing is shot and about to go BOOM ! . Still weird, fuel pressure check looked good. Thanks for the warning and advice.

Archived