Supersprings SSA8 install

I installed the SSA8 with mounting kit this morning...took about an hour with hand tools. Initially I was going to follow the compromise install whereby you place the front brackets on the lowest setting and rear on the highest. That resulted in the rear being 40 1/2". I lowered the rear shackles to their lowest preload position and this is the final:

Before

F 36 1/2

R 38 3/8"

Immediately After

R 39 7/8"

After a day's driving

R 39 3/4"

Rake is about 1 5/8" more than stock. Truck definitely rides like a 3/4. Maybe the SSA5s were the best choice but... oh well. Next mod is 5100s raised to middle ring. I want to preserve fuel economy though.. Anyone know how to lower the front air dam without it looking real obvious?

• 1 month later...

Had a conversation with Gerry from Supersprings looking to resolve some issues when running unloaded. My problem is that my rake is too much and the unloaded ride quality is too weird. Front floats while the rear is planted. According to Gerry the ideal install would target ~ 1/2 inch of lift in the rear with nearly stock ride. He's going to call on Monday after consulting with staff to ensure his thoughts on removing the mounting kit and replacing with the polypad would be an appropriate first step in both moderating the ride quality and height. I have to say that ride quality while towing is excellent.

I was thinking that an increase in spring rate should always be accompanied by a increase in damping. This should help both empty and loaded handling.

But I don't know if you're going to have good ride quality empty with any damping rate as long as you have a substantial increase in spring rate.

I was curious as to why you went with a helper spring as opposed to air bags?

I was thinking that an increase in spring rate should always be accompanied by a increase in damping. This should help both empty and loaded handling.

But I don't know if you're going to have good ride quality empty with any damping rate as long as you have a substantial increase in spring rate.

I was curious as to why you went with a helper spring as opposed to air bags?

I wanted a maintenance free option and I do agree with you regarding damping. Another concern i have is overloading the bump stop mounts. (not sure if that's valid but it doesn't seem natural to support the load in that fashion)

Did you need them, due to sag or was it a nice to have / trying to improve the towing experience? You're towing about 1000lbs more than me.

When towing, my rig is completely level before and after. My goal was to moderate the pitching when i hit large bumps....that was mostly successful. Now i want to decrease the spring rate a little and increase damping to see if I can find a balance. After i tweak this the next step is to decide on bilstein or rancho 9000.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived