4x4 engine lag on beach

I went to the Outer Banks and drove on the beach in Corolla with my brand new 4x4 CC SLT 3.42 and it wasn't pretty. I did not get stuck, but I came very close to it a few times. I do have stock 20" rims and tires and did not deflate the tires.

On the harder slightly compacted sand near the surf, I was fine and had no problems. But once I got onto the dry sandy stuff, in 4x4 auto mode the engine lag was crazy, I was not able to go faster no mater how much I floored it. It slipped my mind to lock it into 4x4 high, it's been a while since I've owned a pickup. Even my previous Honda pilot handled better.

I think it was on 4x4 auto....maybe that was the problem, but I've never experienced the lag like I did with this truck.

My truck has less than 3500 miles and has been babied the entire time. No issues so far. Is this normal?

Probably have Stabiltrak and Traction Control kicking in and trying to keep you from spinning tires and "slidding" on your terrain. Next time, I'd try turning the systems off (not sure how) and try it again. Plus I'd also lock the truck into 4hi and just avoid any sharp turning.

Turn your traction control off. TC will intervine hard when wheel slip is detected and could put you in a jam and get you stuck. It does re-engage automatically over 35mph. Hold the button for 5 to 10 seconds. 4x4 high would also keep the transfer case less busy as well.

What everyone has said. Turn off the nannies, definitely use something other than automatic 4WD and air down. I used like 15 front/10 rear on my trip to the dunes with 18s. 20s probably won't air down as well due to lack of sidewall.

What everyone has said. Turn off the nannies, definitely use something other than automatic 4WD and air down. I used like 15 front/10 rear on my trip to the dunes with 18s. 20s probably won't air down as well due to lack of sidewall.

I run 8 in the rear and 10 up front at the dunes in my Jeep, but that is 33's on 15" wheels. I think I would start at 10 p.s.i. all the way around on 20's. I could be wrong I've never run 20's. I do know 35+ doesn't work in sand at all

We started at 10/10 but didn't like how much the fronts collapsed as we drove from the state campground on aired down tires. Ran the truck in low range and it did great. Most everyone knows I got stuck, but that was me being a noob, nothing I can blame the truck for. :lol:

We started at 10/10 but didn't like how much the fronts collapsed as we drove from the state campground on aired down tires. Ran the truck in low range and it did great. Most everyone knows I got stuck, but that was me being a noob, nothing I can blame the truck for. :lol:

I have been stuck on the dunes too, usually just being stupid trying to climb something steep from sidehilling, never had to get a strap to get me out though................... well not from being stuck, broken is a whole different story

It was just noobery on my part- going up a small hill I let off way too soon as I misjudged how much momentum I needed to crest the hill. As soon as I got back on the gas, I sank. And then I gunned it and sank more. Next to trees. :lol:

Yeah lot's of changes you need to make to your routine if 4 wheeling in the sand. I've been driving on the beach in Corolla and Hatteras for years, gotten a truck stuck once, towed someone out once....I've seen and done it all.

1) Always let the air out of your tires if you are driving in the soft stuff. I can not emphasize this point enough. As you found out you were fine near the shore but you are making life un-necessarily hard on yourself going into the soft stuff with fully inflated tires. See the video below for why letting air out works and is important. I used to be cocky myself and not let my air out until my truck got stuck once. Then I started letting out the air and the difference in traction, control, and driveability was night and day. Take them down to about 20 psi.

2) 4 wheel drive auto is for soccer moms pulling into the YMCA in rainy conditions. No one should ever use this feature when 4 wheel drive is anticipated to be needed. Most truck guys like me will never even use the feature. I keep it in 2 HI for daily driving. Any time i need 4 wheel drive, I put it in 4 hi or 4 Lo depending on the terrain conditions. As far as I'm concerned 4 Auto doesn't even exist on my truck.

3) Definitely turn off traction control and stabilitrack. I believe you push the button once to turn off one of the features and you push and hold it for 5 seconds to turn off both but double check the manual.

Here's the video explaining why letting out your air is necessary:

I would take those steps next time and see if your experience improves before worrying that it's your truck.

I would let the tires down even lower. When I went out in Kali the guys told me they run about 15. And I know members on here run lower than that.

And while it might be useless on the dunes, auto 4x4 is very useful in some situations, like patchy snow or ice. You don't want to get traction in a turn with full 4x4 engaged.

Can't comment on the traction control, I've never had to screw with it.

You hit it pretty good with the exception of the auto 4wd option. Id been off roading for 40 years with my work almost daily till 3 years ago. In south Texas where a Ranch or Farm can be thousands of acres and very sandy the auto option comes in handy when you don't really need 4wd all the time. You get on those sandy roads then hit black top then back on sandy roads all day long. If you happen to forget you left it in 4wd auto you don't have to worry about wearing it out by leaving it in 4wd hi. And those quick sudden rain storms on those greasy heat soak roads 4wd auto very handy.

Probably have Stabiltrak and Traction Control kicking in and trying to keep you from spinning tires and "slidding" on your terrain. Next time, I'd try turning the systems off (not sure how) and try it again. Plus I'd also lock the truck into 4hi and just avoid any sharp turning.

Exactly what I was thinking. My truck is an all together different animal when I turn it off

You hit it pretty good with the exception of the auto 4wd option. Id been off roading for 40 years with my work almost daily till 3 years ago. In south Texas where a Ranch or Farm can be thousands of acres and very sandy the auto option comes in handy when you don't really need 4wd all the time. You get on those sandy roads then hit black top then back on sandy roads all day long. If you happen to forget you left it in 4wd auto you don't have to worry about wearing it out by leaving it in 4wd hi. And those quick sudden rain storms on those greasy heat soak roads 4wd auto very handy.

Sure in this scenario the auto makes sense when you're changing terrain, but I'm talking about knowingly entering sandy or snowy conditions you should be in 4 HI not Auto.

Sure in this scenario the auto makes sense when you're changing terrain, but I'm talking about knowingly entering sandy or snowy conditions you should be in 4 HI not Auto.

You are right there, the soccer mom thing I couldn't resist, LOL

Archived