2015 suburban no play button for DVD in front.

I have a new 2015 Suburban LTZ. I have been try to get the DVD player to play the movies for the children in the back of the vehicle using the controls/my link touch screen, however it is not possible. I just got off the phone with Chevy customer service. I was told this is the way it was designed and the only way to play the movie is from the back seats with the remote control! What! No other car, not even last year’s Suburban is like this. All entertainment systems can be controlled/ played from the front. The 2015 mylink manual says on page 39 and 40 to press play or pause depending on the current selection. However only pause ever displays. Does anyone have a 2015 DVD system that is working correctly? There has to be a fix for this.

They probably view this is a safety feature, so the driver is not distracted fooling with the remote.

I think it is more of an oversight/ flaw seeing as the manual says it is possible. Besides you can fast forward, rewind, and pause, just not play.

• 1 month later...

Yep. 2015 Tahoe. No control for DVD in the front. No front control over media in the rear card reader except by remote. If you put the media card in the front reader in the console you can play music, or audio from a movie, but you can't play the actual video.

Poor design and poor rationale (safety?) for the poor design. I think the engineers need to go on a road trip with a toddler and they would rethink their decisions.

Yea, this is annoying. I had loaded a USB stick with videos on a recent road trip and my wife would have to put her chair back and control the system with the remote. I can't think of any scenario where this would be accepted behavior. Seems like an engineering oversight or technical limitation of the system. It seems as if the rear entertainment system is isolated in some ways from the front system.

Our 15 Yukon will control Via the front touch screen. Have to hit the HOME button, Then the video button. Then you can control the video. Took a bit of looking around to find the path.

Good luck. Love our new Yukon, even though its a P.O.S ! The "Tunnel sound Issue" is driving me crazy.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a 15, Hoe. I can control from drivers seat, but option only is available with vehicle stopped. Have to select the video icon from home screen as someone else previously stated. . In motion you can only fast forward/pause as you know. I just ordered a video in motion module from PAC, i hope it allows full control while driving. My kids are not quite old enough to master the remote control from the back seat and my wife is sick and tired of leaning into the back seat just to get the IR remote control to work so we can get the movies to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should look into GM-navigations.com and consider using the software unlocking method instead of using the PAC device.

I'm no expert but here is a quote from another tahoe/yukon forum explaining the issue with PAC like devices:

"I'm not in the car audio business i'm in the vehicle networking/calibration/integration business. I own a company that does nothing but that and when things go wrong (as they do) we are typically the first call for many owners/dealers when they are trying to troubleshoot things like this, so we see it all.

The good news is because of this we can break this down and help everyone understand why this is a bad idea. You guys remember modems? Remember the old 33.6K Modems? Remember how insanely slow those were? Ok so say nearly every module in the cabin relied on data supplied at a 33.6K rate and there is a ton of data to be had. Are you visualizing that? Good because thats EXACTLY the speed of the low speed bus in our vehicles and thats whats happening LOL
So what these modules do is take data frames, intercept them and strip or change certain bytes and rebroadcast them. So you are interjecting a timing issue into an already slow bus speed and it leads to a slew of issues depending on temperature (most of these units aren't temperature compensated to save money) and bus load. So aside from power drain issues since these things don't wake up like the rest of the modules in the car and the fact they don't have a sleep mode to allow data to pass through to the radio head for programming (so you can't update the radio) when they are working they slow the response of the system down considerably especially with state changes IE backup cameras etc. Like I said the way they do this even bricks features on the 2016's because they rely on the state of the vehicle changing, with these modules it never does so if you ever wanted to upgrade to car play you wouldn't want this anyhow.
I've got to get going but literally I just googled for two seconds and found these snippets which is pretty indicative to what we've seen in the past from people (all of these modules work the same way):
"Plug everything in, and most importantly, test it before putting it back together! I thought I had tested this, but later found that the factory back-up camera would randomly not active or stay turned on all of the time"
"I went through two of these, and they both had intermittent issues. It caused a slow/delayed backup camera activation when going into Reverse and the radio would randomly not turn on with the vehicle. I'd have to turn the vehicle off/on."
Obviously at the end of the day its your choice and your truck, like I said just hate to see people get band aid products when there is a real OEM solution available that does more"
FYI

• 3 years later...