Automatic Headlight Sensor Not Working Properly

mbellis

Just had my '14 in the dealer for the unwanted shift to neutral and peek in odometer recalls, got the truck back and the radio was on the nav screen which was showing the night mode in the middle of the afternoon on a perfectly sunny day... Never use the nav so I may not have noticed if the auto headlights weren't functioning properly before the dealer reprogrammed the ECM/PCM. Now I can confirm that when I start the truck the auto headlights come on for a while before they shut off in daylight. I tried cleaning the windshield but I'm not sure if the auto headlight sensor is the dome on the dashboard or if its up above the rearview mirror near the lane departure camera, can anyone confirm? Any help is greatly appreciated.

You can see the sensor on the dash it's that little dome thingy. I think you may be able to control the screen brightness to be in day mode all the time, or night mode all the time, or AUTO, which will cycle between day/night using the light sensor. Check all the settings in the mylink.

You can see the sensor on the dash it's that little dome thingy. I think you may be able to control the screen brightness to be in day mode all the time, or night mode all the time, or AUTO, which will cycle between day/night using the light sensor. Check all the settings in the mylink.

I can confirm that I did check this and all settings are on AUTO.

Try adjusting the dimmer switch on the left side of the steering wheel by the headlight controls. See if that helps.

Also tried adjusting the dimmer which does not change the Day/Night color scheme, I am sure this is an auto headlight issue, the headlight indicator on the instrument cluster is on (green headlight indicator) in perfect day light and after driving for about 10 minutes they will shut off, on my way to work I can drive under a parkway overpass and they will immediately come back on and stay on for another 10 or 15 minutes before they shut off... Not sure if I was having this issue before or if it could have something to do with the ECM/PCM programming that was just done by the dealer for the recalls I previously mentioned above... Trying to confirm with 100% certainty if the auto headlight sensor is the dome on the dashboard and if anyone else has seen a similar issue...

Hi gfd496,

I apologize for the headlight issues you've been experiencing. I see you've asked for some insight from our fellow forum members, which is great. I reviewed the owner's manual and from page 6-4 can confirm that the light sensor is the dome on the dashboard. I would recommend going back to the dealership to have this issue resolved. It should be a quick fix. Feel free to send a private message if you would like me to contact them on your behalf.

Sincerely,

Eddie A.

GM Customer Care

Archived