What's New: 2015 Chevrolet Silverado & GMC Sierra

Zane

2015_Chevrolet_Silverado.jpeg2015_Sierra_Denali.jpeg

By Zane Merva
Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com
9/8/2014

Chevrolet and GMC have officially confirmed which changes we'll see on the 2015 Silverado and Sierra.

As we've reported in the past, all new 6.2L engines going forward for MY15 will be paired with GM's all new Hydra-Matic eight-speed automatic transmission Other notable changes include Magnetic Ride Control for Sierra Denali, enhanced MyLink/Intellink with Siri Eyes Free, a new J2807 tow rating, and a set of new colors.

Heated and power adjustable trailering mirrors that include auxiliary backup lighting are pegged for late availability.

Here's the full change list for both models:

New on the 2015 Silverado

• Hydra-Matic 8L90 eight-speed automatic transmission (6.2L V-8 models)
  • 12,000-pound max trailering capacity available, based on SAE J2807 Recommended Practices
  • Enhanced Chevrolet MyLink with Text Messaging Alerts and Siri Eyes Free
  • Available OnStar with 4G LTE and built-in Wi-Fi hotspot (3GB/three-month data trial)
  • New, available up-level trailering mirrors with back-up lighting
  • Argent grille with chrome surround on LTZ models with the Z71 package
  • Spray-on bedliner now offered on all models
  • USB port added to upper glove box on LT models with 40/20/40 front bench seat
  • Exterior colors: Rain Forrest Metallic, Deep Ocean Blue Metallic, Sunrise Metallic (limited availability) and, Orange U Tempted (limited availability), Overcast Metallic (limited availability), Pewter Metallic (limited availability)

New on the 2015 Sierra

• Hydra-Matic 8L90 eight-speed automatic transmission (6.2L V-8 models)
  • Magnetic ride control suspension added to Sierra Denali
  • Enhanced IntelliLink with Text Messaging Alerts and Siri Eyes Free
  • Available OnStar with 4G LTE and built-in Wi-Fi hotspot (3GB/three-month data trial)
  • Revised trailering ratings based on SAE J2807 Recommended Practices
  • Spray-on bedliner now offered on all models – including three-dimensional GMC logo; standard on Sierra Denali (with Denali logo)
  • New, available up-level trailering mirrors with LED rear guidance lamps
  • USB port added to upper glove box on SLE models with 40/20/40 front bench seat
  • Exterior colors: Emerald Green Metallic and Stone Blue Metallic

2015_Chevrolet_Silverado.jpeg

2015_Sierra_Denali.jpeg

2015_Sierra_Denali.jpeg

2015_Sierra_Denali.jpeg

Hmmm what does that mean?

Also, can someone please tell me why the 8 speed is only available in the limited availability 6.2? Why the hell is it not offered in the 5.3? I have been trying to figure this out for quite some time now.

Also, can someone please tell me why the 8 speed is only available in the limited availability 6.2? Why the hell is it not offered in the 5.3? I have been trying to figure this out for quite some time now.

Typical GM thinking
  • Like 1

Call it whatever you want but the 900-series was the exact same way. 6-speed was only on the Denali, then all 6.2s and then standard on all V8s and I think by the end all engines had it. They always stagger rollout of major new stuff.

Probably haven't got enough capacity tooled yet to go across the board.

Probably haven't got enough capacity tooled yet to go across the board.

Probably true. Maybe they will offer it 1/2 way through the year.

Im not 100% sure buy i think i remember that when they rolled out the 6 speed is was available in the Yukon Denali and Escalade in 09 and then 1/2 way through 09 in the 1/2 tons and Tahoe/Suburbans

Probably true. Maybe they will offer it 1/2 way through the year.

Im not 100% sure buy i think i remember that when they rolled out the 6 speed is was available in the Yukon Denali and Escalade in 09 and then 1/2 way through 09 in the 1/2 tons and Tahoe/Suburbans

Thinking it will be the 2016 model year by the time they dwindle the 8 speed down to the 5.3 &/or 4.3. 2009 was the split model year if I remember right between some trucks with the 5.3 to have the 4 or 6 speed?

GM is building the trans in house at their Toledo, OH plant. $260 million in plant upgrades just to build the thing & the project was started in 2011.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Automotive/2014/07/08/Toledo-plant-ready-to-roar-into-production.html <~Link 2 month old info.

But agree with you in that wish these would have been ready to roll out when the truck was introduced.

I wonder if they still comme standard with vibrations, clunks, black puffs of smoke on start up, loose seats and seat covers, rusty frames and leaking onstar antennas? ....

I must have "opted out" of all those standard features! :lol:

• Like 2

Call it whatever you want but the 900-series was the exact same way. 6-speed was only on the Denali, then all 6.2s and then standard on all V8s and I think by the end all engines had it. They always stagger rollout of major new stuff.

not the 4.8, it was stuck with the 4L60E until the very bitter end when it along with the 4L60E was dropped for the EcoTec3 Engines.