Nightmare of a problem...

Kti

Question

I purchased a navigation and back up camera kit, all original GM products and nothing aftermarket. I installed everything accordingly and the navigation works great, but I can't get the backup camera working. I have the navigation camera option on as well, it just fuzzes and stays black. I sent it back and they replaced the camera and still doesn't work. Ive done everything but have the BCM programmed for the camera..does that need to be done? Im pretty desperate and out of options here

8 answers to this question

The original port contains little useful information.

Year and model of vehicle?

What year is the nav kit you purchased?

Does the rest of the system work as intended?

What did you use for wiring harness to tailgate of truck (assuming truck)

The navigation was brand new, preprogrammed to my specific vin and car. I bought the camera kit from his as well so im assuming he programmed the camera as well

I did not number my questions in my initial reply asking for information. Here are the same questions again, this time numbered.

1. What is the year/make/model of vehicle this is being installed in?

2. Does the rest of the system work as intended?

3. What did you use for wiring harness to tailgate of truck (assuming truck), and for the head unit?

Plus one new question:

4. What radio did the vehicle come with when vehicle was new?

1. 2012 Gmc sierra SLE

2. Everything works except the backup camera.

3. All original oem harnesses that were included were used

4. The car came with the basic head unit in all the trucks. I even installed the amplifier to equate the sound

The original port contains little useful information.

Year and model of vehicle?

What year is the nav kit you purchased?

Does the rest of the system work as intended?

What did you use for wiring harness to tailgate of truck (assuming truck)

Is the backup camera display in the head unit, or the mirror? If in the mirror, then I would not be surprised if it needed an option enabled in the BCM, in addition to an additional wiring harness to the mirror.

If it is in the mirror, did you also get the harness to feed the mirror the camera output? Does the display for backup camera some on automatically when you place truck in reverse?

I purchased the OGM-1 and backup camera from Walt of ADC Mobile(he is a member of this forum) that installed without issues, except for what appeared to be a defective harness for backup camera that Walt handled very quickly. Mine displays image in head unit, and turns on as soon as I shift into reverse. It also cuts the volume of the head unit a fair bit while in reverse. I added a mirror with compass and temp, and it required some additional wires to be run to the mirror to enable the temp. When mirror was initially installed, all I got was "OC" being displayed. Being in Canada, to me it looked like it was saying temp was 0 degrees Celsius. It was actually saying OpenCircuit. Adding the wires to the mirror in addition to the needed temp sensor in the grill, installed next to factory ambient air temp sensor(the one that tells you roads may be icy). After wires added, it worked properly.

Have you asked the seller about it? I would start there, from my limited knowledge of these NAV units, they need programming to recognize the truck and camera and when that is done they work well. ( assuming all wiring was done correctly )

This backup camera is for the navigation system setup, The camera came with the harness to be wired into the nav and its a very simple setup, but for the life of me I cannot get this thing to work. Its driving me crazy!! Im not sure if this need to be preprogrammed, but I gave the seller my vin number so it would become plug and play, I purchased the camera from him at the same time, could he have forgotten to program the camera?

Was the NAV unit new? I have read it has to be flashed into the unit for it to recognize the rear camera signal, but some aftermarket sellers of GM units are able to 'pre-flash' NAV units before they are shipped to you. I have appt this Saturday to have my new NAV unit flashed, will ask them then if no answers before then.

Archived