New spark plug cables are a different length.

Chevytothebone

Question

I just got home with a box of new cables for my 07 Classic V6 Silverado. I pulled out the first cable and looked for a match from the new cables. None where the same length so i decided to just use the closest match. But the same happened for the next two cables. So now im wondering if the cable length absolutely, positively, doubtlessly has to be the exact same length at every renewal.... Or can I just put them all in according to the distance from the cylinder to its designated connection at the cap? you know... common sense wise.

7 answers to this question

If the wires were designed to be installed a specific way, the wire would be marked to show what number cylinder it was for. Taylor made non-oem plug wires usually came with an sheet in the box that explained how to install the wires. Never saw any instruction other than change wires one at a time, and match the wire length as best you can.

I can remember there being something odd about the Ford DuraSpark ignition wires. I do not remember the specifics, but, it was either all the wires, regardless of length, had the same resistance, or they were all different. I just remember there was something different.

Lots of aftermarket wires have MORE resistance than the old, worn out OEM's you are replacing!

I replaced a set of OEM wires on our '86 Grand Marquis many years back. The originals were over 20 years old at the time, and had less resistance than the ones I picked up at Advance Auto - and this was the store's "higher end" set of wires too ....

Lots of aftermarket wires have MORE resistance than the old, worn out OEM's you are replacing!

I replaced a set of OEM wires on our '86 Grand Marquis many years back. The originals were over 20 years old at the time, and had less resistance than the ones I picked up at Advance Auto - and this was the store's "higher end" set of wires too ....

I think you will find that they have upped the technology in plug wires in the last 20 years. Plug wires with a lower resistance will work better for inducing voltage in parallel wires. If those wires happen to be from sensors, going to PCM, it can be a costly fix. The outer casing of the plug wire breaks down over time as well, increasing RFI.

I wish I could remember what the issue was with DuraSpark ignition and the plug wires. Being old sucks.

I can't either so don't feel bad. :lol:

Yeah I forget about all these computer controlled wonders when talking about the Marquis. That thing was the most modern vehicle I had ever owned, until I bought the Silverado in '07. :D

Archived